News Briefs: Supernatural: Tribes Is Hiring Everyone Who Used to Be On The Vampire Diaries

By Kaitlin Thomas

Feb 28, 2014

FORMER MONSTERS APPLY INSIDE

... Hey! Everyone who's ever appeared on The Vampire Diaries, listen up! Now is the time to call your agent because Supernatural: Tribes wants you! The spin-off of the The CW's long-running Supernatural has already cast three former TVD guest-stars: Nathaniel Buzolic (Kol) plays shape-shifting series regular David Hayden; Sean Faris (that guy from the first season who died) plays Julian Durant, a werewolf from a wealthy family who hates the Haydens (I'm secretly hoping David and Julian have a secret love affair, à la the leads in Star-Crossed); and now the show has cast Stephen Martines, who played a character named Frederick for three episodes of TVD in 2010 and 2011, but I'd completely forgotten about him. Martines will take on the role of Detective Freddie Costa, a mentor to lead character Ennis Roth (Lucien Laviscount). See! Now's the time to break out that resume and highlight your performance as Extra Dead Body #3 from Season 1! [E! Online]

BUSINESS TIME

... Last night's season premiere of The Americans drew only 1.9 million viewers, down from the 3.22 million viewers who turned in for the series premiere in January 2013. The series pulled in an average of 1.85 million viewers per episode during its first season, so last night's "Comrades" (which was phenomenal, by the way) actually did okay. Plus, once everyone gets wind of that surprising sex scene, I have a feeling those numbers are going to go way, way up. [Deadline]

... Ryan Murphy's version of the Larry Kramer play The Normal Heart, which follows the onset of the HIV-AIDS crisis in New York City in the early 1980s, has finally received a premiere date from HBO, and I'm excited to announce it's the best day of the year: Sunday, May 25! Thanks for gifting me with Taylor Kitsch and Matt Bomer on my birthday, HBO, however I have to ask that next time, you deliver them in a slightly less devastating way. And with fewer shirts. [HBO via press release]

... If you tune your TV box to ABC on Tuesday, March 18 at 8pm expecting to see Agent Handsome trying to wrinkle his forehead at S.H.I.E.L.D.'s latest case, you won't find him, although you will still find some Marvel properties. Instead of airing a new episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. that night, ABC is airing Marvel Studios: Assembling a Universe, an hour-long documentary with interviews and behind-the-scenes footage from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel films, and the Marvel One-Shots. There will also be new footage from Captain America: The Winter Solider and Guardians of The Galaxy, as well as a sneak peek at The Avengers: Age of Ultron. That's cool and all, but at this rate the first season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't going to end until 2015. [ABC press release]

... Bret Easton Ellis and Rob Zombie have teamed up to create a new series for Fox about the murders committed by the Manson Family. Hey, you know what's original? A series about serial killers and a cult following on Fox! [Variety]

... Season 7 of Parks and Recreation might be its last, according to creator Michael Schur. Still no word on that Burt Macklin spin-off, though. [EW]

... American Hustle director David O. Russell has decided he's too good for TV. He's leaving the ABC drama The Club a month after it was ordered to series. The show has been described as an upstairs/downstairs series set at a country club. [THR]

... Remember when everyone was really worried about what Jay Leno would do after he handed off The Tonight Show to Jimmy Fallon? Well worry no more, because Jay has found himself a new gig as an errand boy! His first task was to tell Arsenio Hall that Hall's syndicated late-night talk show has been renewed for Season 2. Go home, Jay. You're drunk. 

CASTING NEWS

... First Lady Michelle Obama is visiting Pawnee in Parks and Recreation's season finale on Thursday, April 24. She'll play First Lady Michelle Obama, which will hopefully not be too much of a stretch. She joins the ranks of other real world politicians who've guest starred on the series, including Vice President Joe Biden, Arizona Senator John McCain, California Senator Barbara Boxer and former Maine Senator Olympia Snowe. [NBC via press release]

... Liza Weil, who has simultaneously terrified me and been the wind beneath my wings since she portrayed Paris Gellar on Gilmore Girls, has been cast in Shonda Rhimes' new ABC pilot How To Get Away With Murder. She joins Viola Davis in the legal thriller about a criminal defense professor (Davis) tangled up in a murder investigation. Weil plays one of the professor's associates. [Deadline]

... Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Michelle Trachtenberg will star opposite Psych's Maggie Lawson in the new CBS comedy pilot Save the Date. The comedy follows a woman named Katie (Lawson) who gets wasted and reserves a wedding venue, but isn't actually engaged. Trachtenberg will play her younger sister Hillary, who gets engaged to her fiance Roger (Family Tree's Tom Bennett) after Katie blows it with her boyfriend. Ugh, that's totally something Dawn would do. [THR]

... John Rhys-Davis is leaving Middle Earth for ancient Egypt. He's joined the cast o Fox's upcoming series Hieroglyph, which follows the life of Ambrose, a thief with a get out of jail free card. The catch is that Ambrose isn't free and must now serve the pharaoh. Rhys-Davies plays Vocifer, the man who taught Ambrose the art of thievery. [Deadline]

... Key and Peele will guest-star in FX's Fargo! I repeat, Key and Peele will guest-star in FX's Fargo! They'll play FBI partners obsessed with finding Billy Bob Thornton’s Lorne Malvo. [Variety]

... Ellen Burstyn is the latest big name star to sign on to Amy Poehler's new comedy pilot Old Soul. She joins Fred Willard and Rita Moreno in the series about a reformed wild child (Natasha Lyonne) who now works at an elderly care facility. Burstyn will play Lyonne's aunt. [Deadline]

... Gina Rodriguez (The Bold and the Beautiful) has been cast in The CW's Jane the Virgin pilot, which Tim Riggins would correctly tell you is about a gal named Jane who is a virgin. Oh right, there's also that pesky plot about Jane being accidentally artificially inseminated. I hate it when that happens. [TV Line]

... Current untrustworthy Revenge-r Justin Hartley has joined the cast of the ABC comedy pilot Damaged Goods, which I will totally read in to and say means Patrick's a goner on the S.S. Revenge (maybe he and Aiden run away together?). But then again, based on the description of this pilot, Patrick might outlive everyone in the Hamptons. Damaged Goods explores the love lives of two damaged men (Hartley and Steve Talley) and two damaged women, just like every series ever made! Hartley plays the egotistical Tim who can't deal when his girlfriend and colleague gets the promotion he thought he was going to get. I think Tim is a dick. [Deadline]

SAD NEWS

... Jim Lange, the host of The Dating Game for more than a decade, died on February 25 after suffering a heart attack. He was 81. Lange went on to host the game shows Hollywood Connection, $100,000 Name That Tune, and The New Newlywed Game, but was also known for his work in radio, which his wife Nancy said was his real love. He worked as a DJ in both Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area before retiring from broadcasting in 2005. [Variety]

• Comments (27)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Svanehjerte Mar 02, 2014

Hieroglyph, Fargo and Old Soul sound good!

• crazedtvhead91 Mar 01, 2014

this may come back to bite me in the ass but that "Jane the virgin" show sounds like it could really be interesting. How the hell does someone get artificially inseminated by accident?

• Mate Mar 01, 2014

USA needs to give Roday and Hill Carte Blanche to come up with another show. Bring back the entire crew from Psych with an entirely new premise and roles. Psych was, is and likely will forever be USA's best show. So why not give all of them another to do what USA knows they can do.

I feel bad for The Americans, it really is a phenomenally well done show. I hope FX doesn't cancel it.

• torque_smacky Feb 28, 2014

Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Michelle Trachtenberg

Am I the only one who remembers her more as Harriet the Spy?

• fweak Feb 28, 2014

Amy Poehler pretty much said this is the final season of Parks and Rec on Late Night with Seth Meyers earlier this week. I'm hoping Andy and April get a spinoff series.

• JT_Kirk Feb 28, 2014

How does one make a TV series about the Manson family murders? They committed a few, then they got put away. How does that make a series?

Parks & Rec really should have ended last season, it feels so lost now.

Ha ha, Arsenio really leaned into that gag about Leno taking his job, good stuff.

Oh Maggie Lawson, no, why do you keep taking on these crap sitcoms where you're "the girl slightly out of place"? I know you can't do Psych forever, but have some career respect.

• JohnMessenger Feb 28, 2014

I used to watch "The Americans". But the 2nd season is not on HULU this year. Too bad. It sounds like they could use more views.

• mog253 Feb 28, 2014

My first thought after seeing the title was: Ewww.
    Although Paris from Gilmore Girls can probably get away with murder.

• torque_smacky Feb 28, 2014

Paris is more godlike than the Helix Fossil.

• sleepy-sonic Feb 28, 2014

OMG, Save the Date sounds horrendous and is so beneath Lawson.

• bballer151 Feb 28, 2014

I Shall remember John Rhys Davies forever and always as Professor Maximillion Arturo on Sliders.

• JT_Kirk Feb 28, 2014

On TV, yes. In movies, Sallah.

• See More Comments (7)