Matt Davis Is Returning to The Vampire Diaries as a Series Regular

By RobynRoss

May 16, 2014

Alaric lives! The Vampire Diaries' Matt Davis will return to the show as a series regular for Season 6, TV.com has confirmed.

Spoiler alert! If you haven't watched The Vampire Diaries' Season 5 finale, turn back now. 

As everyone raced to save the Other Side in Thursday's Season 5 finale, "Home," a few familiar faces, including Lexi (Arielle Kebbel) and Alaric, returned. But while Lexi joined Vicki (Kayla Ewell) in getting sucked up into the atmosphere, Alaric was left standing alongside his friends. 

First introduced midway through TVD's first season, Alaric started out as a vampire hunter and history teacher at Mystic Falls High (LOL like that school has any real teachers), but soon became a surrogate parent to Elena and Jeremy and a drinking buddy to Damon. (He also exhibited some epic dance moves when Klaus inhabited his body.) 

In Season 3, Original mama Esther turned Alaric into a crazy Original she could use to kill off her family, but also bound him to Elena. When Elena careened off the bridge and died in the Season 3 finale, so did Alaric—and it was so traumatic it just about killed Kaitlin, too

Since his death, Alaric has returned three times—twice as a ghost in Season 4, when Damon visited his grave and again to, well, drink with Damon—and then earlier this season, in the 100th episode.

Are you excited to have Alaric back?

• Comments (80)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Samantha_101 May 19, 2014

Oh, crap! Now I'll have to watch season 5 of TVD!

• TrentLane May 18, 2014

Maybe you should have changed the title of the article if you didn't want to spoil anything. I mean, telling us Matt Davis is going to be a series regular next season on the front page is a pretty big sign that he will come back from the dead. So, yeah, thanks for spoiling that.

• sjefke007 May 18, 2014

hope alaric is still a Original ,but dont think the wrighters are that smart :)

they choose to let this be a teen soap with a few episodes of action ....they getting manny ideas from buffy the vampire slayer but they do it so so so poor its a shame.

when are we getting a show like buffy real vampires with the face the vangs the demons monsters funny horror STORY pfffff

• lt_catscratch May 18, 2014

Hohoho Bromance triangle next season. Enzo vs Damon vs Alaric free for all

• Braid7 May 16, 2014

Best news for the show ever, my interest was failing but not any more! Lots of Damon & Ric bromantic moments to look forward to!

• AnoukvdZee May 16, 2014

I swear, when I read he was coming back, I "wow!"-ed out loud and am now considering to start watching again after I quit it this season. I didn't like Alaric at all when he first came on to the show, but that bromance with Damon really redeemed him for me.

• Carla-Wexler May 16, 2014

lol nobody dies on that show, even though they die in every season (or so it feels).

• lucasoliveira1 May 16, 2014

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Even if season 6 sucks, it will already be better then seasons 4 and 5 because ALARIC IS BACK! My favorite character is BACK! Can't wait to see what will happen to him next season and I'm already wishing for October!

• dee0226 May 16, 2014

Hell Yes! Forgive my French, but I was so excited! Wish Lexi would have made it too.

• rumbles May 16, 2014

why out up a spoiler alert in the article when the title of the post gave it away

• thekaitling May 16, 2014

The spoiler alert relates to the specific events of the finale mentioned in the article. Not his return to the show.

• See More Comments (46)