News Briefs: Frank Darabont Has a Very Strong Opinion About The Walking Dead

By Tim Surette

Nov 20, 2013

THIS GUY IS JUSTIFIABLY PISSED NEWS

... Frank Darabont brought The Walking Dead to life for AMC in 2010. It became the network's biggest hit. Then AMC fired him. Now Darabont is finally talking about the situation. Basically he hates AMC. "It was a very, very deep and loving family, the cast and the crew, and to have that torn apart was—when somebody throws a hand grenade into that situation, it's tremendously emotionally trying. So would I want to watch another episode of The Walking Dead after that? Are you f*cking kidding me? No, you put that traumatic disappointment behind you and move on with your life." Well, okay then! [Rolling Stone]

BUSINESS TIME

... The Miami Heat's second-best player and worst name-speller Dwyane Wade might get a sitcom based on his life. Really? Fox is developing Three the Hard Way, which is based on A Father First, Wade's book about raising his two kids. The series would center on Daryl Wade (clever!), a pro hoopster who raises his two children with the help of his eccentric entourage. Wade's show will likely start off great but end up being overshadowed by Lebron James', though James' show will struggle during finales while Wade's will be fine. Meanwhile, Chris Bosh will cry during pitch meetings. Also, screw the Heat. [Deadline Hollywood

... USA has canceled Necessary Roughness which I thought had already been canceled. So that makes it a good-news-bad-news situation, right? [TV Line]

... Meredith Steihm—who used to be considered one of Homeland's better writers but left the series to start up The Bridge on FX—is now leaving The Bridge to go back to Homeland. Apparently she and The Bridge co-showrunner Elwood Reid couldn't agree on a direction for Season 2, and now she's returning to Showtime's troubled-yet-watched drama. This is bonkers. [THR]

... WHO CARES ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE? Monty Python is reuniting for stage shows!!! Well, the members who are still alive, at least. Please God of Everything make this available on television and not just in selfish England. [The Independent]

... The CW is developing a drama about a CIA agent who goes undercover to infiltrate a sleeper cell at a prestigious New York university. Let me check the Twitter archive... ahh, here we go: "The CW's new terrorist drama will be like a more serious Homeland." [Deadline]

... MTV has gone ahead and ordered 10 more episodes of Awkward. Season 4, even though it hasn't started filming yet. That will bring the episode count four Season 4 to a total of 20. It will also be the first season without creator Lauren Iungerich, who left after Season 3 (which is currently airing). [Deadline Hollywood]

... Face Off will return for what seems like its 1,058th season but is actually its sixth on January 14 at 9pm on Syfy. [Syfy via press release]

... Toronto mayor Rob Ford is having a bad week. First of all, he hasn't smoked crack in like eight days. And second, he had a reality show that was more like a talk show called Ford Nation on Canada's Sun News Network, and it was canceled after one episode. [Variety]

... The second episode of Almost Human dropped a little more in the ratings than Fox would have liked. One day after a special premiere on Sunday, Monday's second episode slipped a bit, drawing 6.6 million viewers (down from 9.1 million viewers) and a 2.2 rating among 18-49ers (down from a 3.1 rating). That's a big drop for a second episode... especially only a day after the premiere. [EW]

CASTING NEWS

... Back to the Future reunion! Christopher Lloyd will guest-star on NBC's The Michael J. Fox Show, according to Michael J. Fox. Lloyd will play the principal of the school where Mike's wife Annie (Betsy Brandt) teaches. They'll be mean to each other. [THR]

... Patton Oswalt, also known as the Parks and Reacreation's Star Wars fillibusterer, Ratatouille's Remy, the voice of The Goldbergs' Old Adam Goldberg, and Justified's Constable Bob, will host the 2014 Spirit Awards. The ceremony will air March 1 on IFC. [Variety]

... Howard Stern will be back for another season of America's Got Talent, where he judges various Americans who've got various talents. [People]

... Arrow has cast Spartacus's Katrina Law as Ra's al Ghul's daughter Nyssa al Ghul and what? I thought this show was in English. This is probably a big development for the show, so you should probably be excited! Sorry, the only comic I read is The Family Circus. [TV Guide]

... Clark Gregg (S.H.I.E.L.D.) and Sasha Alexander (Rizzoli & Isles) will announce the nominees for the SAG Awards on December 11, and they'll be webcast on TNT.com. Cancel all the other plans you had for that day! [TNT via press release]

• Comments (57)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Gem-n-eye Nov 20, 2013

Yes, that is Great news for Arrow. That's three former Spartacus actors. We've got a Fringe actor on the show, even if he is a vegetable, We had a BSG actor on there, wish he could have taken on a role that would have lasted more than one episode cause Baltar ( can't remember the actors name) is great at playing a bad ass. Maybe they can give Mr. Pickett a role on the show.
    And lets hope fox keeps its trigger finger off the self destruct button when it comes to Almost Human. Blame the ratings on the damn KC Chiefs.

• ChortneyJane Nov 20, 2013

I was kinda hoping that Summer Glau would be Ra's al Ghul's Daughter, so she could do some of her awesome buttkicking. And like Nyssa, she is Russian born.....

• torque_smacky Nov 20, 2013

"Sorry, the only comic I read is The Family Circus."

Well, that says a lot about you, Tim.

• JT_Kirk Nov 20, 2013

Monty Python stage shows, either the best thing ever or the saddest since they're all getting old (except Chapman, who is an ex-person).

Fox just cannot get their ratings shit together on Mondays since House ended. That is a staggering dropoff from Sunday to Monday, perhaps they should have just kept a consistent schedule instead of this "special event" Sunday crap, and also not bothered moving it back 2 weeks. I wonder if the DVR +7 ratings will help at all, I know they will from me as I haven't made time for the second episode.

I'll never understand how Necessary Roughness survived its first 7 episodes, it wasn't that it was terrible, but it wasn't good and they canned a bunch of stuff around it. Then they retooled it later. USA is nuts.

I hope the next season of Face Off will be back to normal, last season's "vets vs. newbies" didn't work for me.

Sorry, Nyssa isn't that interesting a character to get my excitement raised. "Ra's al Ghul" is Arabic for "The Demon's Head". Nyssa's character actually doesn't have that last name in the comics, but also she is lame so who cares.

• dodge_hickey Nov 20, 2013

Bones was solid on Monday for the past 2 years (then they moved it to Friday this season where it bombed on it's first airing). FOX has rarely played their cards right with shows (aside from Animation Domination & a very arguable New Girl).

• Watashii Nov 20, 2013

I'm actually quite excited for the new season of Face Off. After finding out that Laura Tyler finally won, it has restored my interest in the series. She should have won the first time she was in the show but its great that she won the all-stars season.

• Whedonrules Nov 20, 2013

Awesome awesome awesome news about 'Arrow' . That brings the number of former followers of Spartacus to three in the 'Arrow' universe. Now we have Crixius, Naevia(2.0), and Mira in Starling City. (Now its time to bring on Dustin Clare or Viva Bianca, or Lucy, or John Hannah, or Peter Mensah, or ....) I haven't witnessed a show make such an enormous transformation from just good to extraordinary from season 1 to season 2 in a long time. Its like the people behind the 'Arrow' worked damn hard to fix what didn't work in every aspect of the show and the work is paying off. TV now is about resting on laurels and dipping at the same well until it runs dry so its nice to see a new show actually do some work in the off season to get better. The best superhero drama hitting its stride and leaving that big pile of garbage 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' scratching its head wondering how it is that 'Arrow' is so good and our big Disney-Marvel backed production can't get out of Park and completely lacks any charisma whatsoever in front of the camera. No easy fix to a simply godawful cast. - strangest thing to note is that the people writing 'S.H.I.E.L.D' are some of the best from 'Spartacus'.

• McNoodz Nov 20, 2013

Totally agree with you.... Up to the point you started the S.H.I.E.L.D. bashing. Someone with the username 'Whedonrules' should really give it time and a real chance. A bit of time has really paid off for Arrow. I see real potential in S.H.I.E.L.D, also I don't see it as a 'godawful cast' and would only change one guy, or just kill him off. C'mon, It's a Whedon show with Spartacus writers, those people have at least earned some trust from you.

That is why it is such a complete and utter disappointment to me. It is about time Whedon got to sell out a little..OK.. but SHIELD is an embarrassment to the Whedonverse. It is a 60 minute commercial for the brand every week and nothing more. Selling out can be overlooked if the quality was just a lot better. Can't believe Jed and Maurissa are the writer's at least partially responsible for the mess. It makes me sad.

• DanielAshe1 Nov 20, 2013

Thank you. The amount of apologists for Whedon really borders on fanaticism. The show simply is not good or compelling. The stories are among the worst "X-files" one offs while the characters are all look like JcPenny Junior Catalog models. Why anyone thought having a show called Agents of Shield with only one believable agent (Ward) is beyond me. There is a tried a true fiction model that says you have one person for the new viewer to latch onto and represent the audience (Skye). So why they would include other FitzSimmons who are inexperienced and annoying? The show is just lame. Its funny that it is trying to compete with the proceedural NCIS because its basically a SciFi NCIS with none of the charm of the NCIS cast.

I just think when 'Arrow' is now the gold standard of superhero procedurals - a CW show no less - a network show with Marvel Studios behind it should have been thought out much better. They have absolute NO EXCUSE to not have it ready for broadcast. (Unless they had to scramble to have it ready for primetime before 'Thor 2' premiered in which case just BOOO.)

Its like the entire boring cast is an audience surrogate - and the audience almost universally isn't liking many of 'em.

• JT_Kirk Nov 20, 2013

Ward isn't even believable as an agent, he has huge holes in his skillset. The only believable agent is Coulson and they're working hard to undermine that. And as for being like NCIS, they really are, they've even warped Coulson's character to feel like Gibbs!

• JT_Kirk Nov 20, 2013

SHIELD isn't even a good commercial for the brand, it doesn't have any Marvel "feel" to it, it's just middling soft sci-fi procedural that isn't inspired. There's a whisper of Firefly buried deep in the premise that occasionally spits a breath out, but it's always sucked back into the void by the uninspiring cast.

Its like an alt vision of 'Firefly' where instead of loving each and every member of the team - replace that love with untethered hatred. It just suuuuuucks so bad.

• sleepy-sonic Nov 20, 2013

A CIA drama on CW??Is that a joke?

• current Nov 20, 2013

It seems odd that Darabont didn't at the very least fix an initial deal for some kind of on going percentage of the show, especially when you consider just about every lead actor and their dog gets producer squeeze these days.

• Bottron Nov 20, 2013

I wonder if that means that Talia al Ghul WON'T be in "Arrow". Talia is a Batman love interest after all...

• terminaltrip421 Nov 20, 2013

necessary roughness was strong prior to last season, last season it pretty much sucked though. so If it just had more of suckyness in store for me I guess I can live without it. TK will certainly be missed though, hopefully dude finds another part to showcase his talents. true blood's first zombie maybe?

• See More Comments (18)