The Rick vs Carol Debate

By ionee24

Nov 09, 2013

He tells Carol she endangers the group, then gives her half the food endangering the very group Rick gathered it for. He tells Carol he doesn't want her with his children, but Rick wants to keep her children with him. Rick tells her he doesn't want to see her again, but ends the episode looking back at the rearview mirror, hoping he could see her again.

It took me a week, but I've finally made up my mind: Rick sends Carol away, so that Tyreese wouldn't kill her off.

Like Lori with the pancakes, Rick wanted them to be the kind of family that didn't have to teach their children to use knives, to punish a son because he shot someone in cold blood, or banish a mother because she euthanized two Woodburites.

Thus, the same Rick that killed Shane - and almost killed Randall - goes on a last run with Carol, takes a moment to reflect on the wife and daughter they no longer mention, and gives her the first argument Lori was waiting from him for as long as they were married.

poll

• Comments (13)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • child7 Nov 16, 2013

Both Rick and Carol are taking things into their own hands instead of consulting the 'counsel'-and Carol was secretly teaching the kids about how to use knives etc.....plus her general creepiness when those little girls' Dad was dying.

We will probably never know exactly the motives behind what Rick did. But her suicidal behavior was a red flag, along with her other behavior (killing two people!)

This show continues to bring up issues you don't usually think about-like what the world would be like without the jury system for instance. When one person can decide what is going to happen without consulting anyone else.

• ionee24 Nov 17, 2013

I saw the water scene as an extension of Carol's efforts to protect the group, just because Rick was mad she could've got hurt doesn't mean she was trying to get herself hurt.

In hindsight, that must have been Rick's biggest fear because he had just figured out it was Carol's hand the scene before, which is why I believe he banished her so Tyreese wouldn't achieve what those walkers failed to do.

To leave her behind, was like Rick's desperate run to beat those walkers all over again.

• Ceci2468 Nov 15, 2013

I think Rick banished Carol because he saw her as a stronger person than himself. She made him realize that he wasn't being a good leader. His ego couldn't handle it. She was able to take the emotions out of it and think logically/realistically about the situation they were all in. She basically had more balls than him because she did what she felt needed to be done for the good of everyone. His banishment of Carol definitely didn't have anything to do with her welfare and trying to keep Tyreese from hurting/killing her.

• ionee24 Nov 15, 2013

I don't think Rick himself figured out just how similar he is to Carol until this run, the trip was filled with first times:

• the first time they have ever been alone in a car without the children,
    • the first time they have talked about Sophia since she died,
    • the first time they discussed their marriages before all of this happened,
    • the first time they have argued about Shane and Karen,
    • the first time they have talked about making choices all by themselves
    It doesn't seem they talk about the knives lessons except through Carl, his leadership except through Daryl, how she was handling Sophia except through Lori, etc.

I just can't picture Rick actually seeing Carol - as a leader or otherwise - until he sent her away.

• headclub Nov 11, 2013

I think there's no way he can protect her from Tyreese. He knows this. He is, in effect, saving her life in the near future (from Tyreese, assuming he made it back from his road trip that is). Although, he is giving her a death sentence (in the long run) by sending her out into the wild, by herself, to contend with millions of walkers. But Rick had no choice, she killed 2 ppl in cold blood.

I think he made the right call, but I have a feeling he will find out later on that she died, and he will question his decision & feel super guilty.. Cuz that's Rick for ya...

• ionee24 Nov 11, 2013

I don't think that would be the case, if only because that's what happened with Andrea: he found her all too late then felt so guilty he took in what was left of Woodbury, just like she wanted.

Carol was such a welcomed departure from the usual scenario I want to be surprised again.

• ionee24 Nov 10, 2013

One thing to consider is that no one is demanding Carol's life for what happened to David, Rick had to send her away because Tyreese demanded to bring him the person responsible for his girlfriend.

Tyreese doesn't demand this for the benefit of the group, he wants revenge for his own girlfriend.

• ElisaDiaz Nov 10, 2013

It is both to protect the group from her and to give Carol a chance to live.

• ionee24 Nov 10, 2013

The way I see it, if Rick wanted to protect the group then Carol would be dead, with no traces of the body.

Its like his dilemma with being being a farmer, Rick doesn't know how not to be just a farmer just yet.

• Rolamb Nov 10, 2013

There are other ways of protecting people then killing the ones that might be dangerous. I liked the 'with no traces of the body ', which I believe to be the standard when your out in a zombie infested world.

• ionee24 Nov 10, 2013

Then again, when the dead only come back bitting no matter which way they've died, they are stuck with said standard if they want to survive.

Tyreese plans to kill the culprit, Michonne wants to kill the Governor, even the Governor was trying to kill everybody in that prison that way.

• ElisaDiaz Nov 10, 2013

If he wanted to protect the group AND give Carol a chance, he would do what he did. Doesn't really have anything to do with being a farmer or not.