Made to Suffer

Episode Reviews (24)

Great

Black and White

By AriSky, Sep 03, 2013

Points to this episode for actually getting me to care about the Governor for a few minutes. Maggie summed up the episode best when she lamented on how they've forgotten just what humans are capable of, that the walkers aren't the worst things they come across in life. It was a decent cliffhanger, pitting Murl and Darryl against each other while simultaneously revealing to Andrea who the "terrorists" are. It was a little over-written and overly satiric for the Governor to use the word like Bush did - in bad taste, even, but it set the right tone for the town.moreless

The Governor, a "political leader"

By BevinChu, Jul 24, 2013

Excellent depiction of "The Governor," an archetypal "political leader," lying, manipulative demagogue.

The Governor represents every mainstream pol since recorded history, but especially since 9/11.

Initiates flagrant aggression against others. When karma manifests in the form of political blowback, he acts the innocent victim. He is worse than the walkers.

Andrea, wake up. Open your eyes.

Michonne may be surly and inarticulate, unable to explain what's wrong with the SOB. But you should be able to see it with your own eyes and feel it in your gut.moreless

An episode with more painful injuries than before

By Vendetta, Jan 12, 2013

The bastards! The title of Made To Suffer suits us fans as well since they're making us wait two months after a brilliant cliffhanger! I thought Made To Suffer was a brilliant episode, just as all the rest are. Yet again, they managed to pull off superb acting and plots that had me yelling at Michonne, "DO IT! Slice and dice the Governor's daughter for me!" The part with Axel mistaking Carol for a lesbian had me laughing though.

Please, just don't kill off Daryl!moreless

Decoded

By ionee24, Dec 14, 2012

The second the only - formal - couple of this show is about to get killed, Rick's gang come to the rescue and they want blood as badly as Michonne wants revenge. And revenge she gets, as she slain Penny's remains right in front of her father. Deprived of his last source of humanity, the Governor is decoded in front of our very eyes and he wants blood as badly as Merle wanted to reunite with his brother. Before the night is over, they both may get just what they wanted.

Oblivious to Daryl's fate, Carol remains in the prison waiting for a man that might never return.moreless

Made to Suffer

By thefanof, Dec 09, 2012

It was probably better than most this season, but I still get the feeling that year three of The Walking Dead has been about nonsensical violence and less about recapturing the vision of the original concept.

And then the acting is still subpar all the way around on the show. Better than most, but just still not that great.

Thanks to Kirkman, TWD is Back on Track

By mgyukeri, Dec 09, 2012

There was a lot of zombie killing action on TWD this week, but what was truly great was how creator Robert Kirkman brought the show incarnation of Walking Dead full circle back to the comics.

Attitude and proportion

By Mike_Schmidt, Dec 06, 2012

I am becoming more and more disenchanted with Michonne - man, she is just so negative all the time!

I can take a certain amount of negativity but on the whole she just doesn't "fit" with Rick's group because she always has that "look" on her face and doesn't seem to be able to offer information other than droll comments reluctantly pried... and was it really necessary for her to kill the governors daughter? Just dang spiteful - and now the rest of the group are going to have to pay the price as the Govenor seeks to exact revenge. Whether he would ahve gone after them in any case (or not) isn't the issue - she took it apon herself to make things show but she is difficult to watch...moreless

Walking Dead Paves the way

By crozbee120, Dec 06, 2012

Walking Dead is paving the way for how network television should be. This was a phenomenal mid-season finally showing Rick slowly unraveling. Daryl and Merle who are finally united. Axel a right amount of creepy and finally Tyreese makes an appearance with his daughter. Hopefully Tyreese will follow his role in the comics with the show in being Ricks friend. Great Season Keep it up...

Pervy Axel is funny

By Devon39219, Dec 05, 2012

Carl and Glenn, Richard from BWE, Jeremy from TVD, all (becoming) badasses. Loved this episode, although I expected the reunion between Darryl and Merle (and well, Andrea) to be different. Anyway, T-Dogg out may he rest in peace, Oscar in, Oscar out (rip), Tyreese in. They kinda did musical chairs on the inevitable: Tyreese!! He finally won and sat on his (rightful) chair.

Eye for and Eye

By Neksmater, Dec 04, 2012

Wow, what a dark and riveting episode of this week to mark the season's halfway point. The gang's assault on Woodbury to rescue was nonetheless successful but not without sacrifices being made. To start, great intro to Tyrese as his group was under attack in the wilderness and they stumble upon the prison. Carl finding and helping them was some nice helping and his willingness to simply kill the bitten one among their numbers show how far desensitized he is to death in this world now, clearly emulating his father even in saying, "My father would Axel begins to take an interest in Beth and compliments her on how nice of a job she does with the baby (forgot the name). Carol tells him to lay off and his defense about being in prison for a long time and not seeing any women in a while was understandable but you should still be able to keep it in your pants bro. Also his thinking Carol's a lesbian simply because she has short hair is such an old school mentality, does he not think that simply having short hair just makes it less easy for walkers to grab her hair? But clearly we may be on the cusp of some potential material for him. Carl not letting Tyrese and the others into the main cell block was the right thing to do they have their safe side and he shouldn't let the strange bunch of new people in with him newborn sister in there but it is great to have Tyrese in the jailhouse now. The Governor does his darndest to keep Andrea from finding out about Glen and Maggie being captives and that Rick's group is attacking Woodbury. Glen tearing off the walkers arm to get to the pointy bone (failed anatomy class) and stabbing the guy in the neck was way brutal but the gang managed to breach the walls with only one person seeing them and then being gagged but not too long until the Governor finds out and the alarm is sounded. The people of Woodbury and Rick's group get ino a firefight and the gunfire exchange is pretty awesome albeit we don't see anyone but Oscar bite the dust which was sad after he had such a defining moment of being on their side after shooting his fellow inmate in the head back in episode 4, it's like the writers only want one black male character rolling with Rick and crew, what's up with that? First T-Dog, now Oscar, but Tyrese is even better. Michonne splintering off and drawing her sword to wait in killing mode for the Governor was badass and her talking gently to Penny (The Gov's undead daughter) was creepy since we all knew she would pull the hood off. Then surely enough the Governor shows up in the office but puts his gun away telling her not to hurt Penny and she kills her anyway. The fight between the two of them was mega-bad-ass even though I knew that neither would kill the other in the back of my mind since the show wouldn't kill off the Big Bad and Michonne is around so much in the comics even if the episode was written by Robert Kirkman himself. But Michonne grabbing the glass from the broken walker head tanks and taking out the Gov's eye to get away from him was her in super survivor mode as we see so many characters in now. The group losing Daryl is sad but having him and Merle finally on screen together is a nice surprise since they've always been apart during the events of the series. The Governor's speech was ncely acted by Phillip Morrisey and it was sad to see Merle thrown to the wolves simply because he wanted his brother to not be hurt after all he's done for the Governor but it further solidifies what the Governor is willing to do to protect his people from the truth by using fear against them. This is especially evidence like when he calls them "terrorists" even though they're clearly just there to get Maggie and Glen back he sort of fails to mention that Merle took two of their people prisoners first and his whole bit about them attacking because "they want what we have" was totally made up. Rick's seeing Shane firing the shotgun was intriguing since I'm not quite sure what it was meant to convey. Perhaps they'll go further into that later in the February block of episodes but him seeing his former best friend on the face of a man with a shotgun about to kill one of his team was an eyebrow raising moment. Clearly with Michonne's taking the Governor's eye and losing Andrea's trust we are somewhat meant to think that she is "with them" them being the Governor and Woodbury but we get doubt cast on this when she sees Daryl so she might be fully aware that the Governor is lying about part of it. No doubt she will have some questions, but what awaits the Dixon brothers, whether fighting walkers in the arena, or fighting each other, or becoming slaves or just getting shot will be a good thing to see. Will Rick and the others go back to save Daryl or is he left behind? Great episode, particularly brutal and quite a showcase for the Governor to flex his villainous muscles (except for his eye muscle, too soon?).moreless

Load More Reviews