The Love Story

Episode Reviews (3)

Good

The Pioneers

By Blinksterboy, Jun 19, 2015

This isn't a bad hour, and I agree with other reviewers that it does have the feel of a film, but it's not really my kind of story.

It's certainly high time John-boy saw some action. So far, all we've had is that brief kiss in the first episode. The love scenes are well acted, both by Richard and by guest actress, Sian Allen, but some of the dialogue is a little silly and I didn't enjoy the singing (although Richard does have a decent voice).

Jenny Pendleton is a great character and I love the way she flits around the house trying to be mum. I don't think Olivia knew what had hit her. The best scene is the one on the mountain where John-boy is telling Jenny all the places he wants to go in the world and all she can talk about is having his babies. Made me chuckle.

I don't see why Jenny's father had to be killed off partway through. That's two orphaned girls in two weeks now. Visit Walton's Mountain at your peril!

And snow on the ground in the Hollywood Hills! Ah, the days before global warming.moreless

Not a bad story, just comes off as too sugary and not that well-written.

By Mac-Ale, May 23, 2011

John Boy falls for visiting Jenny Pendleton, somewhat embarassingly to my mind.

I loved "The Waltons" and was an avid watcher of first run shows for most of the first four or five years. Still, this was an episode that despite some Emmy nominations just left me laughing and I shouldn't have been laughing. Perhaps it was the actress who played Jenny, and some of the dialog -- it all seemed to bring out the most stilted in actor Richard Thomas. Jenny moves onto the mountain, but her father and stepmother pursue her. Tragically, the father dies and she moves away with her stepmother.

Unfortunately, not before some awkward love scenes between Jenny and John Boy. Perhaps the most humorous is the scene at the chimney of the "old Walton cabin" on the mountain where John Boy proclaims "Jenny Pendleton, you're a fine old pioneer woman" and Jenny shoots back, "well, John Boy Walton, you're a fine old pioneer man!"...good grief, and as I said, me and my family tuned into all these episodes in the early 70s.

I liked almost all of Season 1, but this one was a little much.moreless