The Star

Episode Reviews (2)

Great

The Wrath of Judge Baldwin

By Blinksterboy, May 08, 2015

Well, there's certainly plenty going on in this episode. Two main plots, a subplot and a whole load of mumbo jumbo around a falling star.

It's not the greatest start. The 'twilight' scene in the garden is very obviously filmed in bright sunshine with a lens filter. They do this a lot on this show, but here it looks particularly fake. I also would have thought a meteorite of the size shown would do more than just dent the Baldwin's floor but, hey, I'm no expert.

Cousin Polonius was good fun, but how gullible are the Baldwin sisters? Do they really believe their dead father is hurling rocks at them from outer space? I thought he was a judge, not a thundergod. Made for some interesting dialogue though. Upon seeing the star, Zeb decides his time is up so he takes to his deathbed. None of the family have much sympathy. This idea of him waiting to die is something they will come back to in later episodes.

Ben gets a cute sub plot in which he wins a spelling contest. (Sorry, I can't bring myself to call it a spelling 'bee'). Eric must have fainted when he read the script and saw he had more than two lines.

This is the first episode not to feature Ep Bridges, although the mere mention of his name is enough to see off Cousin Polonius. What a guy!moreless

When a meteorite falls through the Baldwin sister's home, Zeb decides he's going to die. Also, the Baldwin's cousin tries to convince them the Recipe maker is evil and he should take it off their hands.

By OldShowzFinatic, Apr 06, 2008

A very strange episode indeed. I don't understand how Zeb would think a falling star would mean he has to die, and he thinks that same thing in numerous other episodes (all before season 7 of course)It's funny when John confronts his dad and calls him weak. But that doesn't do anything, until of course he tells him that the Baldwins are giving away their recipe maker, making him some how totally rejuvenated and he races to stop the evil cousin from stealing the bootleg (but don't tell the Baldwins that it's bootleg!). I sorta recamend this episode~ Old Shows Finatic.moreless