The Star

Episode Reviews (2)

The Wrath of Judge Baldwin

By Blinksterboy, May 08, 2015

Well, there's certainly plenty going on in this episode. Two main plots, a subplot and a whole load of mumbo jumbo around a falling star.

It's not the greatest start. The 'twilight' scene in the garden is very obviously filmed in bright sunshine with a lens filter. They do this a lot on this show, but here it looks particularly fake. I also would have thought a meteorite of the size shown would do more than just dent the Baldwin's floor but, hey, I'm no expert.

Cousin Polonius was good fun, but how gullible are the Baldwin sisters? Do they really believe their dead father is hurling rocks at them from outer space? I thought he was a judge, not a thundergod. Made for some interesting dialogue though. Upon seeing the star, Zeb decides his time is up so he takes to his deathbed. None of the family have much sympathy. This idea of him waiting to die is something they will come back to in later episodes.

Ben gets a cute sub plot in which he wins a spelling contest. (Sorry, I can't bring myself to call it a spelling 'bee'). Eric must have fainted when he read the script and saw he had more than two lines.

This is the first episode not to feature Ep Bridges, although the mere mention of his name is enough to see off Cousin Polonius. What a guy!moreless