The Target

Episode Reviews (18)

Great

My thoughts are buzzing...

By 1aquaesulis76, Mar 21, 2014

I've been meaning to watch this show since I missed it on TV. Hearing the rave reviews (plus knowing that Dominic west & Idris Elba are English!) made me mark it down as one to get 'one I've finally got round to watching the first episode today - and whew. Yeah.

I can see why some people where completely put off by this episode, and all the 'slow start' comments, but as I'm a huge fan of the carefully built Scandinavian dramas, this was just the kind of episode I love. No big explosions or car chases, but plenty of careful hints for the future, lots of characters who are just outlines as to their personalities and motivations, and a million and one different ways events could go from here. I love the casual humour (McNulty and Bunk are already favourites) and the relationships being established between characters. The 'compare and contrast' scenes between those on either side of the law is fascinating, and shows that people are people, however they make a living.

I can tell the interdepartmental & interagency bickering & politics is going to give me a headache though! I quite sympathise with McNulty. This gets a 9.5 from me for the way it's set up a detailed world, with subtlety and a deft touch. I can't wait for the rest...moreless

Nice start

By kosovomp, Oct 04, 2013

The first episode starts a little slow but picks up and starts immediately developing characters and setting up the rest of the season. I will admit it is slow but it will get going if you give it a chance. I will admit based on this first episode years ago I tuned this show out but giving it another chance and so far so good.

WTF?

By hippotek, Sep 13, 2011

I was told this show was excellent, superb, captivating...

The last time I wasted my life like this was while enduring the Pilot of "Men of a Certain Age"...

Of course, it appears to be authentic, but, to be honest, it is complete and utter crap.

I will not give this show a second chance.

The abusive language, the slurred accents, the painstakingly ugly strippers, the hollow clack of the typewriters where there should be computers...

Truly, the USA MUST be the most magnificent country on the planet...

Yikes, just watching this one Episode made me realize how lucky I am not to be American!moreless

A perfect start to a perfect series. Well paced and wonderfully complex.

By willrobert92, Jun 06, 2011

So it began here. The Wire kicked off in slow burning fashion while introducing us to most of the main characters smoothly. This pilot confirmed that while the Wire was excellent it wasn't for everyone, those wanting an action packed fast paced cops and gangsters show were for the most part turned off by the first episode (first few episodes for that matter), therefore the Wire spent it's early years supported by a small tight network of fans who were patient enough to look and listen as the show came into it's intricate own. The Target doesn't introduced the characters one by one all by there lonesome but instead introduces them smoothly intersecting with each other throughout the episode. The court scenes in particular fleshing out the detective Mcnulty's crusade against Stringer Bell and his drug crew. Detective Jimmy Mcnulty is a "real PO lice" (cop that wants justice rather than stats) which is his flaw in life as he constantly ticks off the bosses and drags colleagues and family into his abyss of a life rife with trouble trying to balance work and his family life which is half in the toilet.

While Jimmy appears to be made out as the primary character of the story there are scenes that remind us that this isn't a one man show. Lieutenant Daniels, Greggs, Herc, Carver and many others are introduced just as well with there own obstacles to overcome in "the Game". Writing is top notch and offers a rich believability that wasn't seen before on any TV show and maintains entertainment values for those willing to stick with it. The intro theme song is catchy and well put together in true HBO fashion (Oz, The Sopranos intro's etc). If your thinking of buying the DVD sets and seeing it for yourself don't hesitate but also remember when keeping up with the story that patience is a virtue.moreless

Unpredictably bad.

By Canogaparkcindy, Apr 15, 2011

This show has been critically acclaimed for years, and people say it is the best series in the history of time. Truly, I'm not buying it. People say this show requires patience, so I will give this show the benefit of the doubt, and watch the rest of the season, but I just expecting something more from this show.

There really was not much happening throughout the episode, sure, they were dealing with a case and whether or not Barksdale was guilty or not, but nothing really went anywhere. This series premiere was hard to watch, considering it was an hour long, without commercials.

The scenes just dragged on for too long, and I'm sure this show "pays off" in the end like everyone says it will, but if you had just watched the series premiere back in 2002 for the first time, would it entice you to watch the rest of the series? Doubtful.

Slow paced, yes, but isn't that kind of the point? I wont rate an episode highly because it's buildup for something big, if it wasn't an enjoyable hour of television, I simply just wont give it a good rating, and this my friends, was not the best series premiere. Lets just hope it "pays" off in the end, like everyone says it will.moreless

Thorough exploration of the interpersonal workings of law enforcement and the criminal organizations they are pursuing. "The Target" presents two different chains-of-command trying to control their own as they break the rules.

By huntlsoffun, Dec 22, 2010

Most crime dramas draw a sharp line in the sand between law enforcement and criminals, cops vs. robbers, good guys vs. bad guys. While shows such as Law & Order, CSI and its many, many spin-offs may provide a glimpse of the law enforcement community in all its crime-solving glory, they fail to capture the human element in crime and the complex underlying motives and elements which underlie why someone would commit a crime. In HBO's series The Wire, we observe the interaction between police, judicial, and criminal sides battling, not just each other, but amongst themselves over authority & proper conduct in each of their respective realms.

The trial of D'Angelo Barksdale appears to be a slam dunk with two eyewitnesses giving testimony, but Detective Jim McNulty is not convinced. As he observes the second eyewitness contradict her previous statement, presumably influenced by a group of somewhat unsavory gentlemen sitting in the audience, the case begins to unravel and McNulty's suspicions are confirmed. The man responsible for the testimony is Avon Barksdale, a.k.a. Stringer Bell, sitting quietly in the courtroom wearing dignified legal glasses and holding a legal pad. After a not guilty verdict is reached, he casually saunters up to the losing District Attorney and says, "You have a nice day", as though he were saluting a neighbor. In an ironic twist, the supposed criminal mastermind in control of drug operations in Baltimore, the criminals appear surprisingly civil and in control, while the justice system gets tied up in bureaucratic chaos.

McNulty is asked by the presiding judge how this happened and what his specific interest is. The detective spills the beans on the man he suspects of being a drug kingpin. This sets off a chain reaction pitting the detective against his own dept. for involving the judge in an inner dept. matter, thus violating the chain-of-command. Meanwhile, the recently acquitted D'Angelo returns to the streets and is demoted by his boss and uncle Stringer for his own reckless actions. The parallel is interesting to watch, as we can observe the inner workings of drug crime and police prevention to discover, in some ways, they are governed by the same rules, only with different motives.

The show's weave of complex character relationships could not be sustained without a strong cast, and the actors provide the anchor for this sometimes muddied drama. Idris Elba (Stringer Bell) exudes a confidence and control which is quite endearing. Dominic West plays Det. McNulty with a devil-may-care attitude, appealing to the rebellious side of human nature. He conveys the inner struggle over his character's actions very naturally and he commands sympathy and respect through his calm power. Larry Gillard, Jr. particularly shines as the misfit murderer D'Angelo, struggling against his own group as they shun his actions as well as an inner struggle for personal authority.

The storyline occasionally gets bogged down in the complexities of the chain-of-command with law enforcement, partly due to the slang filled dialogue (both a blessing and a barrier), but mostly because of a few poorly coordinated scene changes with little to no connecting segue. However, the complexity is certainly welcome, as it endeavors to challenge our basic assumptions towards criminal activity and the effort to combat it. The Wire is an undercover look into the criminal world.

Highs: Intimate human focus on criminals & law enforcement; Charismatic acting ensemble; shuns the black & white emphasis of contemporary crime dramas.

Lows: Story bogged down by inner complexities; a few trite scenes.

The Verdict: Thorough exploration of the inner workings of criminals, their motives, and the law enforcement who target them.moreless

Easy to miss, but the beginning of something big

By Ishmaelbbc, Sep 29, 2010

The first episode of "The Wire" - not only the best TV show ever made, but also one of the strongest fictional narratives ever conceived - begins so slow, so careful in the way it presents its story and its characters, that many viewers, including myself, can be easily deceived. When the episode closes, it does with some sort of twist, but it is very much possible that your concluding thoughts might be "So what?". That's what I felt when I saw the episode for the first time, not the least engaged to continue watching a show in which so few things were happening.

When I saw the episode for the second time, though, something got me hooked. Maybe I was more ready to see what was happening, more open-minded to a show that did things in a different way. Most, if not all, TV shows depend on "cheap" thrills, meaning unexpected, fast-paced events that keep the viewer hooked for next week. I don't blame any show that works like that, be it 24, Lost or even ER, because most of the time it works and fulfills its job: it entertains.

But "The Wire" does something so different, you easily misjudge it as boring or uneventful. It uses its pilot not to start with a big bang, ready to introduce characters and subplots later during the season, but instead gives us as much time as possible to simply get a feeling for the world it invites us to. We are supposed to get to know these characters, to learn how they think and act, what they feel, long before they get engaged in major plot details.

Just look at the opening scene, a absolutely brilliant little dialogue between our main character McNulty and a street crook, talking about the murder of a kid named 'Snot'. The scene is not about whodunit or if McNulty is a good detective (though even that becomes clear in a subconscious way), but simply about how these people talk and think. McNulty isn't simply a cop who asks questions to get his case solved, but he's really interested in what is going on the street. And when hears the story of Snot and how he got killed, he shows his distinctive, contagious little smile for the first time, the smile that always says "This world definitely is crazy, but, damnit, I love it."

The rest of the episode takes us on a journey through all the instances of law enforcement and its clientele: a murder scene on the streets, a courtroom, a judge's office, the main division's of the police, homicide and narcotics, the bosses' offices, the main gangsters base camp, the street level gangsters and finally the customers, the addicts who hang out in empty houses and think about getting money for their next shots. The journey even takes some short glimpses into the private lives of these characters, just to close the circle with another murder scene on the streets.

By then, we've met all the major characters, some briefly, some more extensively and even though we maybe don't really understand what is going on, what will happen and what actually did happen, we surely get a feel for how this world and its characters look like and behave. And that's exactly the kind of starting point, from which a true narrative can develop, as it does hear for many years to come. The episode is pure exposition which takes as much time as it needs, deliberately not trying to be hyperactive and overexciting. What we learn and see during the following episodes, is how much this plan works out. Because we got the chance to really dive into this world from the get-go, we can get more engaged in it than we ever could be on a conventional show and the excitement and tension that arises from this concept, by far exceeds the one that stimulates our brain for a few seconds. The stories told in "The Wire" are sure to stay in our minds for a long time, even after the show itself has stopped running on our screens.moreless

The series begins with a pivotal trial and an early examination on Jimmy's "Screw the rules" personality.

By MarcusAKAFatima, Jun 07, 2010

Watching the series on DVD is both a blessing and a curse. While its nice to have the option of viewing all the episodes at once or in large segments, its also easy to take their presence for granted as the urgency to watch them does not seem as strong. In the case of the first episode, it was the latter. The Target is a very slow episode but it ultimately sets up the season very well. The show always demands a lot out of viewers, but in this case I had to watch it twice. Had I not heard so much praise about the show, I might not have been as compelled to keep watching as there was nothing about this episode that really grabbed me, but in hindsight, its just another link in a long chain of quality. What a fantastic show. Kima is hilarious in this episode.moreless

A very complex show's very complex and carefully paced pilot.

By PabloExobar, May 07, 2010

After hearing so much good of this show, I've decided to give it a shot. I thought the start of the episode was a bit confusing. It all made sense as the episode progressed, but for me, there were way too many characters roaming all around minding their own business.

That being said, from halfway the episode was much better and I started to "feel" some of the characters... especially McNulty. He's awesome.

Now the plot of the show(or at least the first season) is somewhat set up. It's a bit slow for my tastes to tell you the truth, but the realism makes up for it.

I like the "feel" of the show. Apart from being realistic it has a very sophisticated feeling to it. The dialouge, the directing, the actors/actressess all make you feel like the writers behind this show know where they are going. Definitely not recommended for the younger audiences, but not because of the violence or vulgar language. Simply because if you're looking for fast moving plot or action you won't find it here.

Overall:

+ Superb writing, good plot

- Bit slow, can be confusing if you're not paying full attentionmoreless

Load More Reviews