Good

World's Greatest SuperSeries !!! :D

By French_Paul_1988, Nov 17, 2014

This was the fourth or fiftth incarnation of the Super Friends (or SuperFriends ?). I never got to watch any of the others - except for some shorts from the 1980-1983 era on Youtube (these are pretty entertaining TBH) - and I got the DVD of this season (this long-awaited DVD finally came out in 2013 for the record) from a friend.

So this series only had 8 episodes, but they are full half-hour episodes and not a bunch of shorts put together like other incarnations of the show. The show sees our heroes (Batman, Robin, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Wonder Twins and space-monkey Gleek) fight evil - as expected - but here, there's a twist: most of the episodes refer to famous works of literature or fiction like Aladdin, Frankenstein, the Arthurian Legends, Lord Of The Ring or The Wizard Of Oz. An episode also shows an equivalent of the comics' Earth-Three, the Earth where the Justice League are criminals under the name of "Crime Syndicate".

Verdict: this is some good stuff, campy at points, but really entertaining and quite well written. I definitely loved seeing what they did with those stories and how they integrated the superheroes. Wonder if it made any kid out there want to check out the original works.moreless