Hollywood A.D.

Episode Reviews (13)

Great

An episode filled with zombie snipers, bubble baths and Garry Shandling.

By JaCkKbAuEr2424, Jun 06, 2011

God, this might be one of my least favorite episodes the show has produced to date. Chris Carter and his writers have been known to experiment and tinker with the show at times, but this just felt like one step too far in the opposite direction.

We get a weird opening sequence with Garry Shandling playing Fox Mulder and Tea Leoni (Duchovney's real life wife) playing Scully. The opening sequence is some sort of movie scene, and we learn that a movie has been made about Mulder and Scully's life and one of their cases. The rest of the episode jumps back in time as we view bits and pieces of the case the movie is based on and how the writer came up with the idea. The episode plot itself has something to do with religious forgery, something called the Lazarus Bowl that apparently can raise the dead and a priest who bought forged letters from a guy named Micah Hoffman.

It's a pretty weak story, and it's even weaker when the show runners tried to adapt it to a movie. Whoever wrote the episode (I missed it on the credits) did a poor job of mixing the humor and the horror that the show is usually good at doing. Instead, everyone was joking around and Skinner was acting like a goof the whole time. It frustrated me to see the writers lose focus here on what made The X-Files such a good show. How can we go back to the insanity and the eeriness of the myth-arc after seeing such weird stuff? It feels weird to me.

I don't know, perhaps I'm being too harsh. But I'm not one to give a show a low grade without due process and analyzing it for a bit, but a day after seeing this, I have to admit, I was really disappointed and frustrated.moreless

Painful to watch. Hated it. I give this episode the finger.

By LonePunman, Apr 29, 2011

Painful to watch. Hated it. I give this episode the finger. I'm sure all of the "insiders" to the series got a chuckle or two out of Hollywood A.D., but as an avid fan, I see this episode as one that should never have been made, more suitable to the pages of Mad Magazine. As if the entire series broke character for one episode. Detritus of The X-Files canon. This episode marks the decline of the series. Every quality series has it's low point, and Hollywood A.D. is the low water mark of The X-files. On a positive note, the bit with A.D. Skinner in the bubble bath was funny, though painfully inappropriate.moreless

Duchnovy returns to the writer/director chair with a hilarious look at the mess that Hollywood would make of an X-Files movie.

By grifter78, Apr 22, 2010

While not flawless the way that "Bad Blood" was, this episode stands up with the other comedy episodes and holds its head high. Duchovny's wit and comedic timing shine through in a script chock full of "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" in-jokes and references. And they mostly work. His real-life wife Tea Leoni guest-stars as herself as the movie Scully and Gary Shandling gives a great performance as the movie version of Mulder. The overarching X-File concerning the Lazurus Bowl isn't spectacular, but David clearly did some research, and it's mostly just a plot device to set up the inept Hollywood interpretation anyway, so...

We even get funny Skinner here, and that's a beautiful rarity that must be savored. The only real faults in the show are a dancing pile of bones and a large dance number featuring zombies at the end. The latter at least ties into some previous dialogue, but it's still quite a bit too much and crosses from funny into silly.

But all in all, another great humor episode that puts Duchovny at 2-for-2.moreless

Duchovny's take on Hollywood - a very funny, very knowing episode that will please fans and newcomers alike.

By qstevie, Apr 22, 2010

Once again, the X Files takes an unexpected turn down the comedic avenue it's so good at travelling.

I agree with the person who wrote that the timeline is off somewhat, but I guess they couldn't pretend the film could be made in a couple of months. There is a lot to like here, though. The story is funny (sometimes a bit on the silly side), and the casting of Tea Leoni as Film Scully is wonderful. The scene where she asks Scully to teach her how to run in heels, whilst Gary Shandling tries to ascertain Mulder's boxer shorts arrangement is hilarious.

The scene in the bathtubs (very Doris Day & Rock Hudson, which I guess makes the Skin Man Tony Randall) is also funny.

The quest for the Lazarus Bowl is less successful, though rather interesting. I think the trouble is that as a viewer I was much more interested in the filmmaking part than the mystery itself.

I also liked Wayne following Mulder and Scully around, though I think the one scene that didn't work at all for me was the dancing bones. I liked the comment later that it must have been CGI, but it didn't really add anything to the episode and frankly just looked daft.

I dont' agree about the dance sequence at the end being wrong - I think it was a nice way to finish, to bring Mulder's idea that zombies don't just eat - that they dance and make love too. OK, it's a little wacky as an ending, but it fits somehow.moreless

even though it's rated 8/10, it's underrated

By lisaletostak, Apr 22, 2010

ok i love this episode. apparently people think it\\\'s only an 8 but i LOVE it. david duchovny is hilarious, in his acting and his writing and always intelligent. the plot is secondary to the hilarity here, although i like the plot too. even the annoying agent guy is more funny than annoying. and usually when a character is supposed to be annoyingly funny he just turns out to be annoying. also the scenes where mulder and scully are uncomfortably watching garry shandling and tea leoni in the movie are so great! they just keep wincing and who knows what exactly they\\\'re thinking when they make out on screen. ok the very last scene with the skeletons dancing wasn\\\'t my favorite, but the scene before it with mulder and scully walking off holding hands to go on a free date (i\\\'m going to call it a date anyway, even if they are in denial about what it is they\\\'re doing) is so cute.moreless

A Top Ten Classic

By hotstuff491, Apr 22, 2010

I love this episode! The story concept is pure genius and I enjoy the fact how this episode accommodates both a serious and silly side and connects them together. The actors that are chosen to play Mulder and Scully are an excellent choice- however, I don't think Tea Leoni had to audition for the part.

Mulder and Scully are asked by Skinner to escort a movie writer which leads them to forgeries of Church documents that eventually leads to two murders and lots of laughs. The ending is truly what I want to believe. Zombies really know how to have fun...

By hmitauer, Apr 22, 2010

I thought this one was one of the best...including the reference to Richard Gere, who I think looks like he could be Mulder's cuter brother... and Lieber, the not so cute brother...This episode had the three stars I always thought resembled each other. They are practically all in this movie even though it was only a mention of Gere. I wish I knew which audience member was Chris.

I loved this episode.

By oldreliable, Apr 22, 2010

I've watched the seventh season the last days and I think this is my favourite episode. Even though the mystery isn't quite solved and the attention isn't focussed on the actual X-file, I loved the idea that they were shooting an X-file movie. I liked all the allusions in the episode and the way Wayne looked at Mulder and Scully. Also, I think Scully is more fun the last episodes of this season, she seems to laugh omre as usual and make more jokes. Off course I haven't seen most of season one, two or three so I can't say this is the first time she's been like this, but I like it. The two actors who played them in the movie were fun too and I loved part where Scully is in love with AD/AP Skinner, both times.moreless

Scully, Mulder, and Skinner have gone Hollywood!!!

By Ngbballgyrl15, Apr 22, 2010

i think that this episode was one of the funniest of the x-files series. Seeing Tea Leoni act like Scully and hit on Mulder (David Duchovny) was pretty priceless. Skinner, Mulder, and Scully all calling each other from their bath tubs. I love episodes that aren't as serious and that keeps you laughing the whole hour (give or take a couple of minutes) I think that end was pretty cute with the zombies dancing in the moonlight. Scully and Mulder looked cute together when they were leaving the set. If I'm not mistaking, I think a little hand holding was going on as well.Great episode!moreless

Load More Reviews