Improbable

Episode Reviews (19)

Great

Improbable

By TrueTvWatcher, Sep 23, 2012

Improbable was a superb and very entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because Reyes uses Numerology to track a killer and it was great watching how Doggett and Scully interacted with this information. The story was well written and full of action, intrigue and suspense. It was great seeing Burt Reynolds and I liked the Italian men who sang at the end. There was a lot of character and plot development. I liked the ending and look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!moreless

Wow...

By jthunders, Oct 13, 2011

This was a really bad episode that never went anywhere. A quirky attempt to recapture the humor of Darin Morgan, and failing. The actors are trying: the stories just aren't there anymore. And what was up with that fake Little Italy and all the lip synching numbers? Are people giving 9s and 10s actually fans of the show?

Burt Reynolds played god and kept trying to get Wayne "Numbers Serial Killer" to stop killing becuase he had the power to stop but kept doing what his number told him to do and he was finally killed by John Doggett

By ChipzCSF3, Oct 13, 2011

This episode my friends told me they hated it, but I love this episode it's my favourite one best in the series and Chris Carter wrote this episode so great it makes it fantastic. Love all the number/numerology things in it eg-Scully's autopsy, the pairs of three in the street when Burt Reynolds is singing to the song,the number six comes up a lot-the windows, dominos etc. Plus the music I love as well I admit I sing to this episode when I watch it the music is so nice that it gets stuck in your head and has a good beat A big 10! YAY! for this episode don't care if people hate it, I love it number 1 in my votemoreless

One of the funniest X-Files in the series

By Aly358, Oct 13, 2011

FINALLY! All was going to hell in season nine and then Chris Carter swoops in and delivers us with (what I presume to be) one last fine example of his writing skills.

Certainly after all this dark mythology business over the end of the world and a weak to month old savior of the human race one might not expect such a light, funny episode.

After all these badly written episode that were directed and acted out even worse (excempting Robert Patrick and Gillian Anderson) one might not expect such a well written whole.

There is no X-File per se here. Numerology is much like astrology not exactly paranormal. But the dialogue is funny and my favourite scene in the entire series takes place in this parking garage. GA facial expressions are hilarious and Burt Reynolds obviously does great.

The last scene though was overdone and basically useless. Shame not to end on a pun.

Overall a light hearted, funny episode with a positive ring to it one could enjoy more than once (which I definitly will). Something that is saying a lot given that we're in season 9!moreless

I usually hate such silly episodes but this was really sweet.

By whiteraven2005, Oct 13, 2011

Burt Reynolds was just wonderful here, a combination of mysterious, charming and entertaining. This is one of those cases where I think it might not have worked had another actor been cast. The local FBI office was hilarious in itself and the girls sitting around playing checkers while they should be hunting the serial killer.

Best quote: "Go to Hell." "Are the reservations in your name?" followed by Scully's demand that Burt Reynolds keep his hands up and he asks why and Scully whines "I don't know."

I completely didn't understand the musical at the end but hey, I still enjoyed it. Very cute.moreless

For Season 9, very uplifting, a surprise in the middle of a downward spiraling season.

By dravisar, Jun 14, 2010

I really truly didn't see this one coming. As someone who definitely has gone through the gamut of ups and downs with X-files episodes, this entry really blew me away and surprised me. I thought I had covered all the silly, fun, yet engrossing episodes, and this one blindsided me. I have shy'd away from all of Season 9, other than the finale and nothing important happened today entry.

I mean Burt Reynolds! The second I saw him I had to do a double take. The dialogue in this episode is fantastic; humorous, intelligent, and still a little out there. The numerology plot was totally new to me, I'd never even heard of it before. Burt playing a "number god" so to speak...flawless. I have never much liked Reyes character, but even she had me believing her theories right off the bat. The yin and yang of good and evil swings back and forth perfectly, and this episode shows that even though things were on the way out, Chris Carter still had his heart in it, and wasn't letting up.

I recommend this episode to anyone who hasn't seen it and needs something refreshing. When Doggett has his numerology read to him, he goes "Yeah, but that can describe anybody..."

Its true, but I bet you look yours up after this episode :)moreless

Agent Reyes pursues a connection between several un-solved homicides, linking them, and the supposed serial killer, with numerology. Scully and Dogget tags along. All accompanied by a atypic but quite charming soundtrack.

By Shakey-Eye, Jun 14, 2010

Like much too many other episodes of season 9, "Improbabel" is all but thrilling. Reyes pulls a Mulder by going out on a limb, but is off course unable to pull it off in any way that is even close to her predecessor. Dogget impersonates a caricature of his well known disbelief, as well as his here comes the cavalry-act. Scully comes off a bit better in her role. Anyhows, it's a warm and at times amusing attempt to recreate the glory of such nuggets as The Amazing Maleeni and other funny and charming flirts with times and sceneries that in reality belongs to a gravely romanticized past. Well, despite the harsh words, a funny episode.moreless

Blame It On The Bossanova

By Anon67683, Jul 04, 2007

As the final season limps to the end of its run, I imagine that Carter intended this episode to be his last great attempt to make an episode THAT MATTERS. This is a well-thought out and well-written (for the most part) episode with great production values, a novel theme and groovy music. Unfortunately, Carter chooses Reyes as his muse and, well, it all goes to hell....

Reyes is unrelentingly and annoyingly kooky, which is exactly what is NOT needed to sustain any sense of drama in what is basically an X-Files Lite episode. The episode needs a strong lead with a serious purpose to complement the otherwise breezy tone of the episode. Reyes just serves to weigh down the episode with unnecessary goopiness.

And then there is the whole X-Files Lite issue. Some like them, others hate them. My feeling is that this late in Season Nine, with Mulder still missing and presumed dead and with Scully's worries about baby William, it's not appropriate to toss in a "gimmick" episode. It just doesn't ring true given all the pathos of the last few episodes.

The music is great, for a comedy or lighthearted romance movie, but it seems incongruous for an X-File, even an X-Files Lite, with everyone (including Scully) bopping along to that "crazee" samba beat. It's undeniably groovy, though, and who could have predicted back in Season One that the series could do groovy?

Burt Reynolds joins the ranks of Victoria Jackson, Kathy Griffin, Nora Dunn, Michael McKean, Gary Shandling, a Cher lookalike, Ed Asner, Lily Tomlin and Jesse Ventura in the "unnecessary has-been celebrity guest" category. He gives a fine performance as, um, well as Burt Reynolds playing God.

Then there is the final scene, which is terribly misguided and a huge wart on the posterior of the episode. Really, what was Carter thinking? I understand that he fancies this episode a sort of homage to Italian operas but did he have to film an ENTIRE scene with two guys singing entirely in Italian and without a single X-File regular to be seen? It's mind-boggling in its utter irrelevance and conceit.moreless

A killer driven by numbers!

By MarinaPS, Apr 21, 2007

My favorite episode of all time, 'Improbable'!

It's just fantastic, and besides it shows that maths it's not always boring!

To start i'd like to say that is one of the funniest X Files episode ever, Burt Reynolds it's just hilarious!

A serial killer file goes to Monica's hands and she thinks that he kills the victims because of their numerology!

She and Scully end up trapped inside a garage with a guy that wants to play checkers, and from a simple game of checkers Monica reaches incredible conclusions!

It's just a perfect episode, the music, the storyline, the funny moments...One of the reasons why I love the X Files!!!!!moreless

X-Files make math FUN!

By BrunaC, Mar 23, 2007

I'd say this is a sucessful musical, with a smart plot and clever writting!

The music is extremely funny and enjoyable for everyone- cha cha cha- LOL! The music, and even the camera angle, were diferent from the standard episode, which makes it very original!

Monica investigates several cases based in numbers and how they are all connected. As she says: eveyone and everything has a number, forming a net!

Scully and Monica are hilarious in this episode, and the character played by Burt Reynolds is brilliant! And i must mention the great use of checkers in this story!

The final scenes are really sweet: we see Scully saying good-night to william and then she calls Monica to ask her about her number which is 9 and Monica says:

'Nine is completion. You've evolved through the experiences of all the other numbers to a spiritual realisation that this life is only part of a larger whole.' Which, refers to Mulder's influence on Scully, and how she grew up, over the years!

A weird X-file in the weirdness of X-Files! I loved it!moreless