Never Again

Episode Reviews (14)

We get the world we deserve.

By gooseysoucy, Aug 19, 2015

........ a talking tattoo. Now yes there was an explanation for this behavior and it isn't that far fetched of a story. A mark on the body that casts an influence over somebody, making them compulsive to dangerous or more. Its a reminder to him of his mistakes but the tattoo influencing him felt a bit too strong, maybe do away with the voice though no disrespect to Jodie Foster, she's great but perhaps if we didn't know what was going through his brain might have made this character study more interesting.

The Scully's other side here was pretty well handled but after seeing her as this one type of person for these seasons now it'll take a bit of time getting used to her when she's acting fed up and wanting to be out of the crime scene for a change.

Mixed feelings here folks but still well made as usual.

Never Again

By TrueTvWatcher, Jun 27, 2012

Never Again was a great episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching as Mulder left Scully to investigate a mysterious case by herself. The story was pretty decent but it was also a little slow at times. It was interesting to see a man who thought his tattoo was talking to him and influencing him. Scully was torn between her work on the X-Files and having a real life and it was nice to explore her feelings a little bit. The ending was pretty good. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!moreless

"This is not about you, Mulder. " --Dana Scully

By MattMTRUSTNO1, Aug 13, 2011

Dana Scully, having come to a minor crisis in her life brought on by depression, finds herself rebelling against Mulder, against her job, against her self.

When Mulder is forced to go on vacation (to Graceland, of course), he reluctantly leaves her in charge of a case. In a scene we have waited for for years, Scully finally asks why she does not have a desk, flat-out refuses to investigate a farcical case, and stonily refuses to be drawn into a debate with Mulder over her commitment to The X-Files. They part on poor terms, and Scully goes off to Philadelphia, where she meets Ed Jerse, a man coming out of a divorce and a drinking binge, and when their paths cross sparks fly. The only trouble is that Ed is more than he seems to be--his own newly acquired tattoo, which Scully so much admires, talks to him. Stranded by a storm, on the outs with Mulder, alone and depressed, Scully takes Ed up on his dinner invitation, which becomes a date at a bar, which becomes a tattoo a deux, which leads to a night in Ed's apartment.

And thats where the rug got jerked out from under our expectations. Everything in this episode was leading up to sex. I didn't need to see it, but I needed to know it happened. I didn't need a last-minute cop-out, where Ed takes the couch and Dana sleeps in her clothes. The intent of the entire first half of the episode was clearly slanted that way. The whole point of the episode is that Scully is seeking to re-make her self--through a tattoo which symbolizes her facing of her fears, everything from snakes (see One Breath), disfigurement, independence, to a sexual encounter not sanctioned by an authority figure. She spent half an hour letting down her barriers. So what happened? Did a show which does not hesitate to show more blood suddenly get Puritanical on us? Or is the famous double standard at work? In "Fire", Mulder embraced and kissed his old girlfriend, but in "Lazarus" Scully didn't even touch her former lover. In "3", Mulder kisses a vampire groupie, but in "Never Again", Scully doesn't even get a lip lock. The raw sensuality and eroticism of the tattoo scene itself notwithstanding, the story's potential for revelation and discovery was thrown away with both hands. This attempt to maintain a falsely virginal aspect to Agent Scully only renders her character naive.

It's too bad, because this episode was remarkable in many ways. The elegant dialogue is at its best here. Scully's "This is not about you, Mulder" is eerily echoed by the tattoo's "Hear that? It's you, Ed! It's all about you!" How many times did the talk of lines and circles, of authority and rebellion underscore the events unfolding? Jon Joffin's circling camerawork, which metaphorically echoed the dialogue, was impressive. I was particularly struck by the long tracking shot after Ed enters his downstairs neighbor's apartment to kill her for playing the Partridge Family too loud (justifiable homicide if I ever saw it). The camera backs away from the door, circles backwards down the stairs, into the basement in a scene reminiscent of Hitchcock's "Frenzy". Yet director Rob Bowman shows us only spatters of blood, lets us hear the weight of a body bumping down the stairs, and never shows us the actual violence spawned by rage and fear. This is the X- Files at its best--terror without gore.

The acting was first rate. Jodie Foster's manic laugh (as the voice of the tattoo) was marvelous. Duchovny himself let us see the Dark Side of Fox Mulder: snotty, arrogant, self-centered, and very nasty in a fight. Anderson is outstanding, showing us Scully's sensuality, her lack of self-confidence, her fear, her despair in subtle and understated nuance. It is a landmark performance from Anderson, who continues to shine this season. Mark Snow outdid himself on the music for the tattoo scene, which became a raga-like purr weaving itself through an intimate moment of shared physicality. The Elvis glasses on Mulder, as well as the Elvis-fu Mulderdance at Graceland, were almost de rigeur by now.

It was not until the second viewing that I realized that Ed's tattoo opened her eye when "she" was talking to him. The crowning moment, however, was the final scene. After a quietly stormy opening, a rocky parting, and a reunion marked by Mulder's sneer, we get a scene which, with very few words, reveals his need for Scully, his dependence on her, and the assumptions he has made about her life. Mulder does indeed think of Scully as part of the X-Files: she has become part of the office furniture, and when she rebels he is astonished to discover how intimately entwined their lives have become. It is fitting that Morgan and Wong's last contribution to The X-Files should be an unfinished sentence spoken in a half-lit room, with no music to break the tension, the promise, or the sense of unease.moreless

Scully meets a guy with an interesting tattoo...

By JaCkKbAuEr2424, Feb 01, 2011

Okay, maybe my summary isn't the best description of what this episode is, but I was surprised at how much I ended up liking the episode by its end. It begins with Mulder and Scully once again splitting up onto two different paths and converging by the end. In a way, the episode reminded me of the Season 2 episode "3," which is easily my least favorite episode of the entire series. However, this episode succeeds where that one fails by having both Mulder and Scully in it and giving us a legitimate reason as to why Scully seems to be going off the rails.

The "X-File" of the episode is a bit weak; a man gets a tattoo impulsively after he gets a divorce and he's surprised to find the tattoo talking to him, forcing him to do things he doesn't want to do. Apparently, it's a tattoo that hates women and tries to protect him from being hurt again.

The best parts of the episode come in the second half.. the build-up to the conclusion isn't nearly as fun and exciting as the actual conclusion. The show has moments where it does action sequences very well, and this was one of those episodes.. I'm not sure I really care about the way it ended, but the episode itself was very strong. And Mulder and Scully, in the final moments, share a scene that is sad and mysterious at the same time.. and it helps to remember that Scully has some form of cancer from last episode, which likely explains her behavior. Overall, a pretty good episode.moreless

great episode.

By unexpressedrage, Mar 13, 2008

a tattoo that seems to speak. it's interesting to watch this episode w/ jodie foster voicing out betty the tattoo. after the previous episode that alerted agent scully about her cancer, she seems to be thinking deep about her life. agent mulder and agent scully decided to take time off each other and go on a vacation. but scully went on an investigation that mulder had previously asked her to anyway but encountered another x file. feeling that she's missing having a life, she hooked up w/ a good-looking guy she met at a tattoo studio who hears voices from the tattoo he has in his arms. a voice that makes him unstable. in the end, agent scully helped solved the case and rescued ed.moreless

Scully doesn´t know where she stands

By OnePerCentClub, Feb 22, 2008

As a shipper, I didn´t like this episode very much, but it doesn´t mean it´s not good or interesting. I´ll say it was interesting because it seems that Scully may have realized that working on the X-files is not everything. I think Mulder and Scully had left a lot of things unsaid during the years that this was the limit. She seemed totally overwhelmed by being left alone and getting orders from Mulder that she didn´t give the right attention to the case. So she fell for the first guy that listens to her. It was like she was rebeling. So this guy was so troubled

and a drug from getting a tattoo makes him believe the tattoo has a mind and speaks. I have no idea if she slept with Ed or didn´t but maybe it doesn´t matter. She feels the danger and calls Mulder but it was late. I wish they could´ve said more in that last scene. It wasn´t just about the desk. It was about so much more. It was about what she felt, where she stood, if he cared. LGmoreless

Tattooed Love Boy

By Anon67683, Mar 13, 2007

I really liked this episode, despite the relative lack of "X" stuff. Although it's in the mold of a MOTW episode, it dovetails nicely with the previous episode ("Leonard Betts") in showing Scully's sudden desire to "smell the roses" before they are gone, nicely illustrated with the dried rose petal that she picks up and leaves on Mulder's desk.

The snippy conversation Scully has with Mulder before he leaves on a forced vacation was hilarious. I never realized that she didn't have a desk. LOL! I also loved Mulder's nerdy and single-minded need to instruct her on exactly what to do during his absence and his repeated phone calls to check on her progress - no wonder she needs a break from him. Scully's pointed observation that the Russian's story was lifted from a Rocky & Bullwinkle episode was also priceless. Mulder ownage!

As a whole, this episode was very well written and it was well-acted. I'm not sure I buy how "easy" Scully was to pick up, it doesn't seem in character for her, but perhaps that was the point - she needs a change and a chance to walk on the wild side. I liked her expression as she is tattooed, a perfect mix of apprehension and sensualism.

The music and soundtrack used for this episode were brilliant, the best yet in my opinion. The songs chosen for the bar scenes, in particular, were smart and witty.moreless

Nickelback have a song called Never Again

By danideathstrike, Feb 12, 2007

Never Again see’s a man with nothing much to live for get a tattoo. The only problem is that the tattoo talks to him and makes him kill any women he likes. This “killer tattoo” starts to get rather jealous when its owner starts to take a liking to Skully. So it’s up to Skully to find out what’s going on before it’s too late. This is a good episode, and we see a bit of character development from Skully, as she goes on a date and she gets a tattoo- the first time we’ve really seen her let her hair down- and hopefully not the lastmoreless

Scully on her own.

By qbeanz, Jan 16, 2007

This was a really interesting episode to revisit - a voyage into Scully's viewpoint, something that has been building up within her all this time. It's perhaps fitting that the questions she asks of herself and her life are the same that many female fans have posed indignantly again and again. Why doesn't Scully have her own office, her own desk? Why does it seem that Scully is always following Mulder's orders? Why doesn't she get to choose the case they're going to follow?

Of course, these answers don't all reflect the choice of the producers or writers of the show to sacrifice character to plot. Instead, it provides an insight into Scully's character - an emerging co-dependency between herself and Mulder that she is trying to fight off, even as late as the 4th season. The re-evaluation of her life is coming because of forced stimuli, but in reality they are all questions she should have been asking all along but probably have suppressed due to other concerns. Although the two stars spend only a few, tension-filled moments together and those moments are painful to watch, it's a necessary phase the agents have to pass through in the growth of their relationship. Before they fully accept the others' permanence in their lives, they must deal with the chafing and perhaps stifling feeling of not living a solo life anymore. For Scully, she needs to justify her inevitable following of Mulder's orders by acting out and also listening to her self-destructive desires and tendencies.

I think the most revealing part of the episode is Mulder's very last line. Scully tells him that not everything is about him, and that this is her life. Hurt by this and his perception that she is acting in rebellion against HIM, Mulder tries to understand her but retorts with a, "Yes, but it's m--" and stops himself. I believe what he's about to say is, "Yes, but it's my life too." It shows that Mulder is ready at this point and is undergoing the process of accepting that Scully is becoming a permanent and necessary fixture in his life. This comes easier to Mulder because, in a way, he's been waiting his whole life for someone like Scully to come along. But Scully resists the idea - that's what this episode is all about - and Mulder seems to recognize her reluctance to really let him into her life, all the way, forever. It hurts him, but he can't do much about it but wait for her to either bail on him or commit.moreless

Load More Reviews