Episode Reviews (16)

creature of the blue lagoon

By gooseysoucy, Aug 11, 2015

A good ol fashioned monster chase. Unlike say "The Host" where the creature was revealed and meant to be big, here were shown nothing and its left to our imagination which is a nice change. You've got a few good side people along the way like the camera man named Ansel (read a history book to get the joke) and a toad licking teenager. Scully and Muldor have a great exchange of ideas together and of course the pet dog that you know is gonna get eaten. Had a fun time seeing this again since childhood, certain scenes coming back to me now. Would have left the ending a bit more open ended but they probably figured we were all thinking the same thing anyway so why not make it definite.moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, Jun 16, 2012

Quagmire was another perfectly entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the story was intriguing, full of action,drama and character development. It was awesome to watch Mulder and Scully investigate the possibility of a Lake Monster. The actors were perfect in their roles and the story was well written and played out in a very engaging manner. The ending was classic X-Files, leaving something to the imagination. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!

"I still have the urge to fire."

By JaCkKbAuEr2424, Jan 04, 2011

Here's a stand-alone episode that has nothing to do with aliens or government conspiracies but succeeds mostly because of the scenes between Mulder and Scully. Sure, there was a pretty cool story behind it all, and there were a few big shocks, but for the most part, I found myself more excited by the chance to see Mulder and Scully have a heart-to-heart with one another and connect more. Here are two characters that seem to be completely different yet connect so easily.

The underlaying plot involves Mulder and Scully searching for a beast called "Big Blue" inside of a lake that has apparently been killing people. It's a pretty simple idea but it's increased by the way the writers were willing to go in different directions with it. We're never given any concrete proof to lend credence to this beast. People are dying, sure, but there's zero proof. In fact, while there was a clear-cut climatic scene near the end of the episode, the most intense and interesting part of the episode comes from a conversation between Mulder and Scully after they're stranded on a rock. They discuss cannibalism, the relation between Mulder and Ahab and we even get a callback to Scully's father and her nickname (Starbuck).

For me, this was just a well-written episode that ended in a satisfying enough way. I was pleasantly surprised by it.moreless

"All this moving around from crime scene to crime scene is giving me highway hypnosis."

By BurntSiena, Aug 11, 2010

"Quagmire" features Queequeg, Scully's dog, and the title can't be a coincidence. (How many words can you think of with both a "Q" and a "G"?) There is much to love about the episode. Start with the stunning BC scenery. Add the legend of Big Blue, a Nessie wannabe complete with cute likenesses on billboards and atop tourist shops. Plus we get to see Clyde Bruckman's dog again, adopted by Scully and seen also in "War of the Coprophages." Then there is the rapid fire body count... never a dull moment as bodies float ashore and turn up in the woods. And we get plenty of character development as Scully gets exasperated with Mulder and likens him to Captain Ahab (although I could have done without her calling him "megalomaniacal." Mulder? I think not.). The final scene is a great one, tying together both episode themes and the series' themes in one big blue bow.

This is "X-Files" at its second tier best... "Quagmire" doesn't rate as high as the classics but features all the broad stokes that make this show what it is.moreless

And Mulder didn't get his peg leg

By OnePerCentClub, Aug 11, 2010

One of the things that I like from this episode is that we see Mulder and Scully in a different environment, away from the city and enjoying the nature... while trying to solve a case.

Mulder and Scully had always had a relationship in where many things are left unsaid, silence speaks more than words but we see something different here for a change. They have a conversation where they share so many points of view and that's why they are, to the date, one of the best couples on TV.

The case was kind of expected, as it is based on one of the biggest mystery ever. And it goes to both ends: what everybody witnesses and becomes tangible proof and the unexplainable that remains unseen.

Too bad Queequeg died... I really like the dog.moreless

This episode is fairly written but it doesn't have anything special and is to represent about average of third season's episodes.

By arkhyel, Jan 02, 2008

This is barely a good episode. There's not much anything special. We got monster on inland lake area and we got the usual investigation. Some interesting supporting characters are involved like the photographer and the scientist. The story advances at moderate rate, but not much surprise is provided. Only scene really worth to remember is conversation on the rocks between Mulder and Scully. In the end, the monster is an alligator, which is not a bad decision. After all I think that this episode is fairly written but it doesn't have anything special and is to represent about average of third season's episodes.moreless

Traditional theme

By a-on, Apr 03, 2007

It's nice to see X-Files with such a traditional story. The lake monster was just waiting in line to get handled on this show. The story is nice, and the biology lesson Mulder tells about food webs is fun to hear as a biologist. At least it was more accurate then the one about more nucleotides in The Erlenmeyer Flask. Scully's dog being eaten by the alligator or the lake monster is sad. It would have been nice to see Queequeg in later episodes, but at least its death was used as a pivotal plot element in this episode. The ending was corny, first the alligator is revealed to be the "monster" and then the real monster swims in the background unnoticed. Boring.moreless

Wherein Scully Goes Alligator Fishing With Queequeg

By Anon67683, Mar 08, 2007

Uh oh, another MOTW episode.......but wait, this one is actually pretty great. Never mind what's in the water, the star here is a surprisingly great script, full of humor and even some touching character insights between Mulder and Scully on the rock.

Some of the funnier bits for me:

The photographer who has devoted his life to getting a shot of Big Blue, meticulously setting up the bait and his equipment, only to forget to take off his lens cap at the crucial moment!

Mulder's sly grin and the subtly mocking way he says "Queequeg" when he tells Scully he is sorry for her loss. Haha, yeah right.

Mulder and Scully realizing that their rock is only a few yards from shore. Classic.

Like I said, the monster here is secondary and one should not get hung up on the relative blandness of the plot. There are so many golden moments between the characters and hilarious gags in this episode that it is highly rewatchable and a credit to the series.moreless

By qbeanz, Jan 01, 2007

I'm probably biased by my lifelong fascination by the possibility of a Loch Ness monster, but I've always loved this episode. The search for the great unknown prehistoric beast within murky waters is abruptly brought to a halt by the discovery of a giant crocodile. That is, until we see the silhouette of a lake monster dipping in and out of the water as Mulder turns away. It's one of those delicious endings that I've come to love and crave from the X-Files. And it doesn't hurt that the Conversation on the Rock was a pleasure to watch. Poor Scully, losing her dog to the croc. And an interesting character quirk of Mulder - not caring about the dog, referring to Queequeg as "that thing," etc. Guess he's not really a dog person. This is one of those episodes I could rewatch again and again.moreless

Load More Reviews