Episode Reviews (18)

Great

The "Squeeze" of season 2.

By mortalexplorer, Apr 03, 2015

It really makes you wonder what can live and breed down there...

A Classic

By sremnes, Aug 05, 2014

This is a "stinkiing episode", within the sewers of the USA, a creature living in the water. We get lots of classic humor, and signs that Mulder has friends in the FBI working to get the x-files reopened. This is a cult classic episode With a strange creature. Simply Incredible.

The fluke man

By 7dixob, Aug 28, 2012

Another great X-File episode when Mulder has to investigate a body in a sewer which he thinks is a punishment but actually leads to something quite big.A genetic freak that bites people to reproduce and it infects people with some kind of tape worm.Then Mulder gets interested in the case and tracks down the fluke man supposedly killing it until you see it open its eyes at the end.In the middle of the episode Mulder finds he has a friend in the FBI when he is contacted by him and he seems to want the X-Files open.This may be the last chance of the X Files reopening.moreless

By arkanitoo, Jul 09, 2012

It seems customary in the business of a series that, for an excellent episode, is allowed to do half-assed. In virtually all of this fact is repeated, and "X-Files", after the vibrant "2x01", suffered the same problem contagious. Not that the episode is not good, but is full of oddities that distort a little subtlety that present opportunities to the most diverse subjects, from which the series is a master at producing. The monster of the week here is completely exaggerated, even if it is interesting and very well done with the makeup. A creature with characteristics of parasite and physiology of primate, which is the result of radioactive material from a Russian freighter, at the time of the nuclear accident at Chernobyl. The exaggerations ensure all the hassle, since the creature's own physiology, both in fact survive long periods in the terrestrial environment (heck balls, if so, why she lives in water?). Skinner begins to gain more prominence and even recognizes the importance of the X files, but fears for the basic rule for which he applies to all persons at work or in any social environment, that everyone receives orders from superiors, that must be met. Mulder also discovers (or rather, being discovered) by a "friend" of the FBI, the newest "Deep Throat", which provides the necessary information and does not go directly into the game. Unfortunately, you can not see the face of this "friend" because he only speaks by phone, but his words by saying that if more cases like this are solved, the x files will be opened again, are enough to make any fan excited. Is not as suspenseful as it should and exaggeration in some parts of the comic edge, but it is a curious episode, full of details about the creature (it seems to biology class) and the existence of new species, ripe for discovery ... or produced.moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, May 29, 2012

The Host was a perfect episode of The X-Files and I really enjoyed watching because the story was awesome, there was significant character and plot development and the ending was great. It was interesting to see AD Skinner put Mulder on a case like this and even more so to learn that some other higher up is a friend to Mulder. I liked how the story played out and how Scully participated. The ending was a little scary thinking about that thing in the sewers. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!moreless

The "X-Files" has built its reputation on being cool, hip and just a little bit twisted. Viewers have come to expect something more sophisticated than a gore-filled remake of "The Creature from the Black Lagoon"

By MattMTRUSTNO1, Aug 12, 2011

When we settle down with Scully and Mulder for an hour of thrills and chills, we expect to be spooked, titillated, and challenged. We do not expect a cheapo latex monster straight out of Tokyo, circa 1968. We do not expect the Tobe Hooper approach to horror: throw a bucket of guts (or in this case, worms) at the audience and watch 'em squirm. As always when Chris Carter writes one of the episodes, the interaction between the main characters was excellent. Give Anderson or Duchovny half a chance and they can make these rather two-dimensional TV roles come alive. Mulder's reaction, when he bullies his way into his superior's office only to find himself interrupting a high-level meeting, is wonderfully understated. Scully's distress over her partner's possible resignation is suitably restrained while showing us her concern. Mulder's anger at Skinner and the "meaningless assignments" he has been given are very well brought out; once again it is brought home to us that while he is pretty much an introspective, thoughtful man, even Mulder can be pushed too far. And the scene in Scully's office, where the two regain the camaraderie of "old times" for a moment, is priceless.

But not even these pleasures can counteract the aggressively ugly scenes such as the fluke vomited forth by the unfortunate sewer worker, the graphic autopsy scene, or the intimately detailed explorations of various toilets, sewers, etc. This is the Stephen King approach to horror: if he can't give us that elegant frisson of fear he will give us the heave of nausea. It doesn't work in King and it doesn't work here. In fact, it undercuts everything the show has built up so far.

Nor do I welcome the intrusion of yet another mysterious informant to feed Mulder's paranoia as he smuggles out tantalizing tidbits from some secret power base. Since Deep Throat is dead and Carter has not named this new source, I christen him for what he is: Plot Device. I can understand why Carter might think he could get away with this kind of storyline; last year's "Ice" had a pretty high rating. The problem lies in his misinterpretation of the audience's reasons for watching "The X-Files". I liked "Ice" in spite of the graphic worm sequences; I liked it for the marvelous (if flawed) interaction between the characters. Later, Glen Morgan and Jim Wong managed to give us a thoroughly enjoyable dose of the creeps when they gave us the liver-eating Eugene Tooms without ever crossing the line between good horror and good taste.moreless

This episode, though starting off with a classic sewer inhabiting boogy man straight from the Night Stalker, eventually winds up smelling like its scenery.

By Kevinjo67, Feb 18, 2011

I love the Files man, but this one should have stayed in the sewer. (Spoilers ahead.) I mean, ok, we find this radioactive mutant new life form, but what do we do with it? We charge it for murder and send it down town. What the heck is that about??? Well, you know it actually might interest some pretty important scientists this new life form, but it did kill two people, so...Book him Dano! (Little did they know that the creature would get out on a technicality as no-one read it its miranda rights!) I just loved the scene where they brought out the creature to the back of an ambulance to be transported to jail and there's just the one guy driving it. Now how did that guy get that detail? Man that was just not his day. BOSS: Oh hey Tom, we've got a prisoner to transport, and it turns out its this slimey monster we don't know anything about, what do you think, you ok with that?

TOM:

Oh yeah, what the heck, just load him up in the back. I'll keep my eye on him. No need to assign an extra guard to come along. No no no, forget about the armed military escort. Just put him in the back, I got him. Its only a giant humanoid tape worm, after all. BOSS: Oh and Tom, you know this thing slides through sewer pipes for a living, so it might just be able to get through those restraints. So if it somehow manages to slip on through, you know, just grab the shotgun and jump back there after it. It won't give you no trouble.

TOM: Sure boss. Thanks. I wouldn't have thought to just jump back in there after it. You know, if you hadn't told me that I probably would wait for oh I don't know, a hazardous response team equipped to handle escaped radioactive mutant spills, but now that you mention it, why bother with the red tape, huh? I'll just shoo the ugly little guy right back into the restraints. Thanks for the tip.

(end of dialogue)

But hey, if the little feller didn't escape we wouldn't have had the exciting climax of Fox sucking up some raw sewage. Yumm!moreless

Creepy Monster-Of-The-Week

By mrsKrycek, Apr 25, 2009

AD Skinner sends Mulder to investigate a body which washed into the New Jersey sewer from the ocean. Mulder believes that the basic blue-collar assignment is punishment, but on Skinner's own admission what he discovers is a true X-File. Mulder seems to think that he is being punished when he is sent to investigate the death of a guy found in a sewer. It turns out taht the guy was killeed be a giant parasite. Aka a worm man. A really weird monster of the week eppisode that wasn't that bad, but wasn't the best. An okay eppisode, that gets better with timemoreless

Another creepy monster of the week

By OnePerCentClub, Sep 21, 2008

I think this is the most disgusting monster of the week. This is the time when Mulder feels that everything is lost and begins to think about his future in the FBI. He's so frustrated and somewhat depressed that he doesn't know where he stands. Scully has a good idea: they work so well together that he might come to Quantico but, that's not possible. They don't want them working together.

The flukeman in the end, was a terrible consequence of radiation and had been travelling in a Russian cargo ship. But the damage is done. There was Mulder's evidence. He was right when he told Skinner he had two great agents who could've solve the case in a different way but, even when Skinner knows they made a mistake closing the X-files, he only gets orders and so far, there's nothing he can do.

All the Mulder and Scully scenes were great. They miss each other, is logical, and they find their way to see each other, to share ideas, to talk about what's happening to them.

And we meet Mulder's new informant.

My favorite moment has to be that scene in the lab when Scully and Mulder are talking. It did feel like old times.moreless

Load More Reviews