Episode Reviews (16)

Great

The fluke man

By 7dixob, Aug 28, 2012

Another great X-File episode when Mulder has to investigate a body in a sewer which he thinks is a punishment but actually leads to something quite big.A genetic freak that bites people to reproduce and it infects people with some kind of tape worm.Then Mulder gets interested in the case and tracks down the fluke man supposedly killing it until you see it open its eyes at the end.In the middle of the episode Mulder finds he has a friend in the FBI when he is contacted by him and he seems to want the X-Files open.This may be the last chance of the X Files reopening.moreless

By arkanitoo, Jul 09, 2012

It seems customary in the business of a series that, for an excellent episode, is allowed to do half-assed. In virtually all of this fact is repeated, and "X-Files", after the vibrant "2x01", suffered the same problem contagious. Not that the episode is not good, but is full of oddities that distort a little subtlety that present opportunities to the most diverse subjects, from which the series is a master at producing. The monster of the week here is completely exaggerated, even if it is interesting and very well done with the makeup. A creature with characteristics of parasite and physiology of primate, which is the result of radioactive material from a Russian freighter, at the time of the nuclear accident at Chernobyl. The exaggerations ensure all the hassle, since the creature's own physiology, both in fact survive long periods in the terrestrial environment (heck balls, if so, why she lives in water?). Skinner begins to gain more prominence and even recognizes the importance of the X files, but fears for the basic rule for which he applies to all persons at work or in any social environment, that everyone receives orders from superiors, that must be met. Mulder also discovers (or rather, being discovered) by a "friend" of the FBI, the newest "Deep Throat", which provides the necessary information and does not go directly into the game. Unfortunately, you can not see the face of this "friend" because he only speaks by phone, but his words by saying that if more cases like this are solved, the x files will be opened again, are enough to make any fan excited. Is not as suspenseful as it should and exaggeration in some parts of the comic edge, but it is a curious episode, full of details about the creature (it seems to biology class) and the existence of new species, ripe for discovery ... or produced.moreless

By TrueTvWatcher, May 29, 2012

The Host was a perfect episode of The X-Files and I really enjoyed watching because the story was awesome, there was significant character and plot development and the ending was great. It was interesting to see AD Skinner put Mulder on a case like this and even more so to learn that some other higher up is a friend to Mulder. I liked how the story played out and how Scully participated. The ending was a little scary thinking about that thing in the sewers. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!moreless

The "X-Files" has built its reputation on being cool, hip and just a little bit twisted. Viewers have come to expect something more sophisticated than a gore-filled remake of "The Creature from the Black Lagoon"

By MattMTRUSTNO1, Aug 12, 2011

When we settle down with Scully and Mulder for an hour of thrills and chills, we expect to be spooked, titillated, and challenged. We do not expect a cheapo latex monster straight out of Tokyo, circa 1968. We do not expect the Tobe Hooper approach to horror: throw a bucket of guts (or in this case, worms) at the audience and watch 'em squirm. As always when Chris Carter writes one of the episodes, the interaction between the main characters was excellent. Give Anderson or Duchovny half a chance and they can make these rather two-dimensional TV roles come alive. Mulder's reaction, when he bullies his way into his superior's office only to find himself interrupting a high-level meeting, is wonderfully understated. Scully's distress over her partner's possible resignation is suitably restrained while showing us her concern. Mulder's anger at Skinner and the "meaningless assignments" he has been given are very well brought out; once again it is brought home to us that while he is pretty much an introspective, thoughtful man, even Mulder can be pushed too far. And the scene in Scully's office, where the two regain the camaraderie of "old times" for a moment, is priceless.

But not even these pleasures can counteract the aggressively ugly scenes such as the fluke vomited forth by the unfortunate sewer worker, the graphic autopsy scene, or the intimately detailed explorations of various toilets, sewers, etc. This is the Stephen King approach to horror: if he can't give us that elegant frisson of fear he will give us the heave of nausea. It doesn't work in King and it doesn't work here. In fact, it undercuts everything the show has built up so far.

Nor do I welcome the intrusion of yet another mysterious informant to feed Mulder's paranoia as he smuggles out tantalizing tidbits from some secret power base. Since Deep Throat is dead and Carter has not named this new source, I christen him for what he is: Plot Device. I can understand why Carter might think he could get away with this kind of storyline; last year's "Ice" had a pretty high rating. The problem lies in his misinterpretation of the audience's reasons for watching "The X-Files". I liked "Ice" in spite of the graphic worm sequences; I liked it for the marvelous (if flawed) interaction between the characters. Later, Glen Morgan and Jim Wong managed to give us a thoroughly enjoyable dose of the creeps when they gave us the liver-eating Eugene Tooms without ever crossing the line between good horror and good taste.moreless

This episode, though starting off with a classic sewer inhabiting boogy man straight from the Night Stalker, eventually winds up smelling like its scenery.

By Kevinjo67, Feb 18, 2011

I love the Files man, but this one should have stayed in the sewer. (Spoilers ahead.) I mean, ok, we find this radioactive mutant new life form, but what do we do with it? We charge it for murder and send it down town. What the heck is that about??? Well, you know it actually might interest some pretty important scientists this new life form, but it did kill two people, so...Book him Dano! (Little did they know that the creature would get out on a technicality as no-one read it its miranda rights!) I just loved the scene where they brought out the creature to the back of an ambulance to be transported to jail and there's just the one guy driving it. Now how did that guy get that detail? Man that was just not his day. BOSS: Oh hey Tom, we've got a prisoner to transport, and it turns out its this slimey monster we don't know anything about, what do you think, you ok with that?

TOM:

Oh yeah, what the heck, just load him up in the back. I'll keep my eye on him. No need to assign an extra guard to come along. No no no, forget about the armed military escort. Just put him in the back, I got him. Its only a giant humanoid tape worm, after all. BOSS: Oh and Tom, you know this thing slides through sewer pipes for a living, so it might just be able to get through those restraints. So if it somehow manages to slip on through, you know, just grab the shotgun and jump back there after it. It won't give you no trouble.

TOM: Sure boss. Thanks. I wouldn't have thought to just jump back in there after it. You know, if you hadn't told me that I probably would wait for oh I don't know, a hazardous response team equipped to handle escaped radioactive mutant spills, but now that you mention it, why bother with the red tape, huh? I'll just shoo the ugly little guy right back into the restraints. Thanks for the tip.

(end of dialogue)

But hey, if the little feller didn't escape we wouldn't have had the exciting climax of Fox sucking up some raw sewage. Yumm!moreless

Creepy Monster-Of-The-Week

By mrsKrycek, Apr 25, 2009

AD Skinner sends Mulder to investigate a body which washed into the New Jersey sewer from the ocean. Mulder believes that the basic blue-collar assignment is punishment, but on Skinner's own admission what he discovers is a true X-File. Mulder seems to think that he is being punished when he is sent to investigate the death of a guy found in a sewer. It turns out taht the guy was killeed be a giant parasite. Aka a worm man. A really weird monster of the week eppisode that wasn't that bad, but wasn't the best. An okay eppisode, that gets better with timemoreless

Another creepy monster of the week

By OnePerCentClub, Sep 21, 2008

I think this is the most disgusting monster of the week. This is the time when Mulder feels that everything is lost and begins to think about his future in the FBI. He's so frustrated and somewhat depressed that he doesn't know where he stands. Scully has a good idea: they work so well together that he might come to Quantico but, that's not possible. They don't want them working together.

The flukeman in the end, was a terrible consequence of radiation and had been travelling in a Russian cargo ship. But the damage is done. There was Mulder's evidence. He was right when he told Skinner he had two great agents who could've solve the case in a different way but, even when Skinner knows they made a mistake closing the X-files, he only gets orders and so far, there's nothing he can do.

All the Mulder and Scully scenes were great. They miss each other, is logical, and they find their way to see each other, to share ideas, to talk about what's happening to them.

And we meet Mulder's new informant.

My favorite moment has to be that scene in the lab when Scully and Mulder are talking. It did feel like old times.moreless

Awesome

By RJNeb2, May 01, 2007

Coming as it does as only the second instalment of the second series, this bodes extremely well for the long-term future of the show. It’s ironic too that one of the main plot thrusts of the tail end of Season 1 was the imminent disbanding of the X Files unit. Now that that has been achieved, it hasn’t really affected Mulder and Scully that much. He still embroils her in his cases, she’s only too happy to don the surgicals, and it’s their sharing of information derived from their own professional backgrounds that leads to the resolution of the case. Indeed Scully does even remark at one point that it feels like old times, the way they’ve been sharing notes, a wistful touch that neatly acknowledges the fact that the two are out of favour with the powers that be. However, we know this is only going to be a temporary state of affairs. And the mysterious phone calls from Mulder’s new contact in the corridors of power who tells us that reinstatement of the X Files must be undeniable leads us to conclude that it’s only a matter of time before these two are back together, busting government ass. Actually this unseen introduction of the character later to be known as X is the one contrivance in the plot that is the hardest to deal with. Coming so soon after the murder of Deep Throat, a lightly sketched but still many shaded character, this reeks a little of “Same character, different person”. And the reason why reinstatement of the X Files should be undeniable is certainly not even touched upon. It seems like a vaguely redundant addition to a tightly spun episode, though in retrospect it does provide Mulder with the impetus he seems to be currently lacking. Mulder begins the episode in the same hollowed out form that we saw him at the end of “Little Green Men”, the previous episode. This is understandable given the man’s intuitive detective and profiling skills, so you’d think that he would jump at the chance to investigate a murder. But no, Mulder regards it as yet another ticking off assignment from Skinner and makes his displeasure openly known. It is Scully who realigns him and gets him back on the re-invested track by stepping out on a limb and offering to do the autopsy on the John Doe. To be honest, Mulder comes across as being a little bit ungrateful here. It’s Scully’s discovery of the fluke worm inside the sailor that really starts the ball rolling in this case, and the implication is that Skinner fed this case directly to Mulder, knowing that it contained all the right ingredients to be an X File (only it’s not allowed to be referred to as such). Skinner is open enough to agree with Mulder that yes, it is an X File; sadly Mulder doesn’t have the good grace to acknowledge this, his eye too busy being set on the big prize now – reinstatement. But what this episode does have in spades is good old gross-out magic. One of the tricks of this programme is that it quite happily takes us to places we don’t necessarily want to go. So down in the sewers we are led, in such a well-made episode that we can practically smell it, complete with intense flashing torchlights piercing the gloom. And it’s to meet a monster that is so repellent and one that confirms one of our own childhood fears – that there are things in the sewer that are going to come and get us through one of our most vulnerable areas, the toilet. And speaking of gross-out moments, the scene where Scully is surprised by something nasty lurking in a young Russian sailor’s body cavity is classic stuff. (The sound designers obviously had great fun too in this scene, providing us with some deliciously squelchy noises as Scully ferrets around in the man’s intestines.) One of the hallmarks of quality of this show is that although it’s dealing with gross stuff in terms of autopsies, we actually see remarkably little of it as it’s neatly reflected in Scully’s glasses. Of course the other well-remembered gross-out scene that lingers in the mind is when the sewage worker pukes up a fluke worm in the shower. It’s not especially big, it’s not especially clever, but it has you squirming in your seat. And that’s precisely what “The X Files” is all about. So, although “The Host” fits into the easily-labelled category of Monster of the Week episode, it actually has some much greater wide-reaching implications in the scheme of the series. That the monster we’re dealing with here happens to be a particularly good one, makes “The Host” even more of a deliciously guilty pleasure. 10/10moreless

Worm Man.

By farscapefanuk, Apr 17, 2007

This episode was about a giant worm creature which is infesting the sewers. Skinner puts Mulder on the case to investigate. With Scully's help they are able to identify the species of worm. Scully believes that this creature was created in a septic tank of a ship which carried radioactive material. Anyway Mulder fins out that he has a friend at the FBI and eventually they capture the worm creature. It gets away and eventually Mulder tracks it down and has the final showdown with the creature and kills it. Mulder than asks Scully the question 'three species everyday disapear from the earth, i wonder how many new species are being created'. And on that not we see that another worm man is alive inb the sewer...

Really liked this episode. Finally Skinner realises that it was a mistake to close the X Files down. Really liked this one a lot. Great episode.moreless

Load More Reviews