The Post-Modern Prometheus

Episode Reviews (26)

Great

If it were up to me, this episode would have been saved for the series finale.

By MattMTRUSTNO1, Dec 12, 2011

I'm not going to get into a complicated analysis of this episode. I'll just simply say that I loved every minute of it. The black and white. The music. And the slowdance at the end is my favorite X-Files moment of all time.

I've always felt this would have been a perfect episode to end the series on. The series eventually concluded with the end of the conspiracy mytharch. But I feel a series finale should be one that stands apart from the rest of the series. To enjoy any mytharc episode you would almost have to have followed the series from the beginning. But an episode like this can be enjoyed by hardcore and casual fans alike. I would have opted to end the series on a monster of the week episode. Specifically this one.

To close the show out with Mulder and Scully having one last dance and to have The End appear on screen would be the perfect ending for me. Why not wrap up the conspiracy mytharc in the second to last episode and save the last dance for the end.

What a way to go out that would have been.moreless

interesting concept, poor realization...

By overmatik, Aug 31, 2011

I mean, the idea of shooting an unusual X-files episode sounds like a good idea, after all, repeating the same formula week after week gets a little tiring for the audience and the cast.

But that's not an excuse for this bad episode. I can't believe in the number of good reviews that this episode got, and the number of emmys it was nominated for.

First of all, the plot is a mess. We don't know who is the fater of whom, who is the son, who created whom. Clearly the production was rushed. The characterization is lame, and the intended comic tone just fails. The portrait of the small town city is also too weird and the black and white is annoying. And surprisingly nothing apparently happens to the great Mutato, who after all, raped that woman.

It doesn't feel like a X-files episode at all. Chris tried to hard on the comic situations and it feels overdone and artificial. I felt almost offended by the final scene, as it was ridiculous over belief seeing Fox Mulder dancing to Cher. I mean, I was just "WTF???" And if they had kissed it would have been the most ridiculous scene in the history of the series, it was like a Mad About You moment!

I love the X-files, so nobody can accuse me of being a hater, but for me this episode didn't work att all...moreless

An eerie, goofy, sad and all-around great episode

By JaCkKbAuEr2424, Feb 22, 2011

By the time this episode came to a close, with Mulder and Scully slow-dancing to a Cher song and the monster from the episode dancing with Cher as she sings the song, I honestly had no idea whether or no I had just watched a great episode of television or a complete trainwreck. Even thinking about it now, it reminds me of "Supernatural's" goofiest episodes, the ones that are stupid and annoying to watch. However, upon second thought, I'm extremely impressed with how Chris Carter basically took every element of this show that we've come to enjoy and mix it in one. It's an episode filled with several tones and plots, but boy.. it's a good one.

The episode begins with a woman who loves watching the disfigured individuals on Jerry Springer sends a letter to Mulder, claiming she's twice been knocked up by some beast that knocks her out for a few days and leaves her pregnant when she wakes up. Scully expects it to be a hoax, but as usual, weird events begin happening and the duo find strange things in their investigation, including a Frankenstein-esque doctor who screws around with human and fly genetics and does things to them that no scientist should do. As a result, Mulder begins putting two and two together and realizes this individual knocking up women is a result of this doctor's experiments.

That's perhaps the most basic way of explaining the episode. It's much more detailed and complex then I would lead you to believe. We have these strange moments where townsfolk admit that they heard about Mulder from the Jerry Springer show.. there's also these awkward and surreal moments when Mulder walks into a diner and gets these weird glares from everyone in the town, who seem to be about two steps back from reality. It felt like a Twilight Zone episode (which may have been what Carter was going for with the black and white and the music). And I'm saying this as if it's a bad thing.. but really, it was quite fun to watch everything resolve itself, even if the final moment nearly pulled me out of the show.

Chris Carter definitely was able to create a unique episode of TV here, and I'm glad that they had Mulder, for once, doubting the existance of aliens (carrying on from the last myth-arc episodes). I truly hope that aliens do exist in this show, because otherwise, I'll feel as gyped as Mulder.moreless

Very special episode

By KennyRogersLove, Apr 25, 2010

I have watched this episode three times this week to try and understand the basis of the episode and aside from the homage to the old frankestein movies, I feel that this episode is all about perceptions and stereotypes. The perception that Mutato is a monster based on what he looks like, the perception that the townsfolk are simple and can be reduced to cultural stereotypes, Dr Polidori as the mad, ingenious scientist, the Father as a simpleton farmer.

Mutato was a product of his making, in the sense that he landed up paying a price for Dr Polidori's mistake, as a result the Dr's father tried to recreate him so that he could have a mate to share his life with, however without the full understand of what he trying to do as well as the facilities to do it in, he made to with what he could access and what he understood (a man of the land). None of this should be an excuse for either Dr Polidori, his father or Mutato, but the townsfolk accept it as such because they all have a certain kinship with Mutato and this is echoed in Izzy saying but "he is no monster". This comment is very ironic considering Izzy could have landed up looking more animal like and less human. This sentiment is echoed as well in the beginning and the end of the episode, with the Jerry Springer excerpts - acceptance of something possibly less human that what we perceive it to be. Mutato and his Father had done what they did out of a basic human need and desperation for what would never be a normal life in thier view. This does not make the deed any less wrong, but it does not necessarily make them evil, what it does make them is misguided.

The way the episode was shot was amazing, the black and white, I remember the first time I saw it I initially thought that either my TV or video machine had gone on the fritz and blown something. Some very cheesy comedic scenes through out the episode, the diner scenes, where the townsfolk initially believe that Mulder and Scully are there to relieve or change some part of thier possibly humdrum exsistance. The car scene with the letter, Gillian Anderson is one of the most expressive actresses I have ever come across, the way her right eyebrow arches when she is particularly sceptical, cracks me up every time. Mulder's smoking gun with the peanut butter jar as well his almost deadpan expression throughout the episode. The woman would not be considered missing as the townsfolk may have assumed that the houses were being fumigated - for as much as people have a natural curiosity, they also have a tendancy to not want to interfere and I get the impression that, the townsfolk are more than just a little wary of Shanieh Berkowitz and Dr Polidori, to stick their noses to deep.

The ending was appropriate to the episode for me in the sense of Dr Polidori paid the price for his misdeeds,and the townsfolk felt that Mutato had already paid the price for his misdeeds with how he had already lived his life. The impression that I get is that they most likely felt that he had already been punished enough for what he and his Father had done.

I think that this was in a number of ways an off the cuff episode, however I do not think that it was in any way meant to make light of or reduce the evil of rape or molesation.

For me the episode rates a 10/10 for it's artistic and theatrical touch and for it's homage to the original Frakenstein moviesmoreless

Simply magical episode

By Emmma, Feb 02, 2010

This was such a marvelous episode and I loved every single aspect about it. The whole episode was filmed in black and white which really gave it the comic book feel that I think Chris Carter wanted to achieve. I thought the storyline was sweet - The great Mutato was a result of an experiment that went wrong and the townsfolk accepted him as nothing more than a monster. I thought it was very sad when Mutato found his dead father and buried him in the barn. What I liked most about this episode and what I think made it work so well was the use of music. Not just the Cher songs playing in the background, but the comic/circus, almost fairytale music that gave the sense of fiction to emphasise that the townsfolk were living in episodes of the Jerry Springer show. I also thought that the scene where Mulder and Scully talk to Dr Polidori were great... The combination of the B&W, the low angled scenes and the lightning outside really gave a scary feel to the scene which I absolutley loved! The reactions of the townspeople when Mulder walked into the diner both times were very strong scenes as well. The scene where Mutato was explaining himself to Mulder and Scully and the townsfolk was very powerful and very moving. And, of course, I loved the final scene. I would have loved it more though if Chris Carter hadn't cut the scene where Mulder and Scully kissed! Nonetheless it was a great final scene. This might just be because I think moments like that are soo cute XD or that I simply love the song 'Walking in Memphis' but it's definatley a 10/10 episode in my book.moreless

I seriously can't describe the way this episode made me feel, I had never seen an episode of the X-Files before and boy was I in for a wonderful surprise. I get that this is not exactly a traditional episode of the show, but just wow...

By Shorty252, Jun 11, 2009

I seriously can't describe the way this episode made me feel, I had never seen an episode of the X-Files before and boy was I in for a wonderful surprise. I felt compelled by this episode so much that I just had to sign on at 4 in the morning to post this review. I get that this is not exactly a traditional episode of the show, but just wow, if the rest of the episodes are even half as good as this one I am already a fan. This episode in particular reminded me of the twilight zone, a show of which before now I thought there was no equal. Though I get the impression that this episode was very much inspired by the classic episodes of the twilight zone, and all the classic B&W suspense films. The symbology in this episode specifically near the end with the cross cutting between the animals and the townspeople is just so powerful, no TV episode has moved me this much in years.moreless

Black and white, comic book style, two-faced monsters and a would-be Dr Frankenstein. All this and Cher too!

By qstevie, Jan 28, 2009

I sort of get the feeling that is either one you'll love or hate. I loved it. It's a romance wrapped in a horror story; it's a classic tale with a modern twist; it's funny and it's moving. And it's comic-book, black and white style make it tongue in cheek enough that you can forgive various obvious plot holes.

Basically it's about a town where there is supposed to be a horrific monster lurking (with a penchant for peanut butter!), women are becoming pregnant at a bizarre rate and have no recollection of having sex, the local doctor is into gene mutation and the locals are a motley crew to say the least.

The fact that Jerry Springer makes a cameo appearance doing a show of his that is fictitious, but part of this story should give you some idea of the level of reality we're watching.

I won't give away the story. Suffice it to say that the Dr Frankenstein and his 'monster' story are rewritten for a modern age, with a lighthearted style and enough references to please afficionados of the original and the films. There is genuine pathos in the portrayal of this 'monster', references to Cher's film 'Mask' and Cher's music playing throughout.

There are a few implausibles (well the whole thing's implausible, but there are a couple of things that are harder to suspend the disbelief for). For instance, during the unconscious sex sessions set up by the monster, quite how he is supposed to source and design enough material to clothe an entire house, exterminator style, is never clear. The fact that Mulder and Scully, complete with guest are able to get a front row table at a Cher concert is unlikely, as is the fact that Cher would even be playing such a small venue!

So what can I say - it's funny, it's moving, it's tense in places, it's bizarre, it's impressive, it's totally off the wall. It's an X File.moreless

I'm walking in Memphis, watching this good ep...

By Bks_Nimo, Dec 12, 2008

This is definitely a classic episode, one that everyone should see at least once. Hell, if anything all you need to do is watch the ending. Mulder and Scully dancing at the end absolutely makes this episode for me and is (clearly) my favorite part.

That said, the storyline is pretty good. It's essentially a refurbished Frankenstein tale with a happy ending. Jerry Springer makes a clever cameo (this was at the height of Springer-dom). My main problem with this episode is that it was never stated that, essentially, what the Great Mutato was doing was rape. Scully clearly mentions the fact that the women impregnated in Small Potatoes were done so without their consent, essentially rape. Yet, there was no mention of that here. It seems like they just wanted to be all lovey dovey about it. That's a big fault of this episode, IMO.

Overall, though, it's a must see.moreless

Oh my...

By CaptainHarkness, Aug 20, 2008

I thought that 'Humbug' was the weirdest episode in the series until I saw this one. Mulder and Scully are called into a hick town to investigate mysterious births and whatnot. In the investigation they learn of a Monster known as the great Mutato. The great Mutato has two faces and likes penut butter so the agents start asking around and they learn that the great mutato is a genetically engineered accident who is obsessed with Cher and wants a mate. I enjoyed this episode better than Humbug, this episode had a monster movie feel to it and what was really cool is that it was all in black and white.moreless

Load More Reviews