The Rain King

Good
7.9

The Rain King

By TrueTvWatcher, Aug 22, 2012

The Rain King was a really great episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed watching because the characters were phenomenal, the story was intriguing and the weather was a little crazy. It was fun to watch Mulder and Scully investigate. I liked how the Rain King leased office space and had a whole business. I liked the way every thing played out and found the unfolding story to be entertaining and interesting to watch. I liked the ending and look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!moreless

Mulder and Scully meet The Rain King.

By JaCkKbAuEr2424, Apr 26, 2011

From the beginning, this episode was somewhat doomed. I thought Season 6 started off promising, with a trio of unique and compelling episodes and a two-parter that was somewhat lame but different enough to keep me interested. However, the last few episodes have just been strange, sub-par installments.

Here, we get Mulder and Scully visiting a town where a guy claims he can predict the weather. He has a little spiel that he does, and soon enough, rain follows. He uses it to make a profit, and Mulder is intrigued. The best X-Files episodes usually indicate that there's some sort of danger awaiting our lead actors, but from the very beginning, it's clear that there's no danger in sight. We have a guy who can make it rain, a woman who ends up falling in love with Mulder at first sight and a weatherman who, as it turns out, is the actual person controlling the weather. Except it follows his emotions.. if he gets mad, it'll thunderstorm, and if he's happy, the weather will be fantastic.

Even when the weatherman, who happens to be in love with the woman who's in love with Mulder, finds out that the woman actually loves Mulder instead of him, there's still no sense that any drama will occur.. instead, we get half-hearted hints at the fact that Mulder and Scully may like each other and Mulder trying to give dating advice to people.. I like it when the show tries new things, but man, this was just plain dumb.moreless

This eppy is so great because it goes deeper then the case itself. It's about love.

By Gilmoregirl999, Aug 19, 2008

At first it seems like a normal case, later a "normal" x-file. What I loved about this episode is that it was mostly about love. It also implicates the love between Mulder and Scully, and more then once.

When Scully is saying that the best relationships start from friendship, it's like she's analysing her relationship with Mulder. They have a great friendship, so...

I also loved the phone scene were Mulder tells Scully that he has to give dating advice. Her reaction tells it all.

It was not a typical x-files episode, but it contained other great parts.

Could it be a hint for the future?moreless

Rain and Love and then some...

By Aly358, Aug 12, 2008

What is going on with this series? The third boring episode in a row! After such a great start into the season - even harder to endure.

Sure the plot was original and the acting was supposed to be goofy. One might want to argue its merits but I was more disappointed with the whole Scully/Mulder storyline (if you can call it that)

Scully and Mulder are Partners. They trust each other, they risk and save their lives in numerous episodes. He is insanity, she is reason. A match made in Heaven. At the beginning of the series I was like: They are made for eachother! But then I realised that there are NO long term relationships between characters. Not a single one. It seems to bore people. And the writers made the right decision to keep them platonical. So why bother with hints and clues and stuff if you don't follow through? There will be no Scully/Mulder relationship, I am sure of it. That makes this just boring and painful to watch really. I love Scully and Mulder and above all I love that they are just Friends. Keep it that way and stop the nonsense!

Besides: Since when are Scully and Mulder back on the X-Files? Who gave them this assignment? Where was Spender? No explanation whatsoever as to why they are not questioned by Kersh...moreless

Mulder and Scully investigate a man who claims he can make it rain.

By tvaddict1974, Oct 24, 2007

This episode starts off on Valentines Day, with the lady waiting for her man dressed seductively for a romantic night in. There is red satin and presents and a heart shaped box of chocolates (half eaten by her). He says " and you wonder why you're that size?"

She wants to tell every body about their engagement, and has even taken out an ad in the personals of the local paper much to his annoyance. He is so enraged that he goes out for a drive (drinking as well) and crashes his car in a hailstorm. Heart shaped hail!

We cut to six months later where Mulder and Scully have been sent to investigate and they look at the weather history and where this man was during these periods. They turn to the local T.V. weatherman for assistance and they find out a lot more about this towns residents and there interactions since leaving high school. There is a high school reunion with references to the film the Wizard of Oz. behind the D.J. there is a huge balloon like the one in the film.moreless

This episode is my guilty pleasure.

By velvet_fox, Oct 18, 2007

I realise this episode is not widely loved by fans of the X files, I know its not the greatest storyline ever, but I just adore it, in all its cheesy glory! It probably has something to do with the fact that I'm a shipper and this episode was packed with all these little shippy goodies which I may point out were blatent, not just the usual subtle clues thrown in to make us um and ar as to wether or not Mulder and Scully have feelings for each other. I mean Scully's solioquy to Shelia in one of the final scenes of the episodes was telling, very telling that she does in fact have feelings for Mulder. She didn't have to mention names for us to know who she's talking about.

As for the story no its not the best as M/S investigate the strange weather going on in this small town, but the episode had a very nice season 1/2/3 feel to it, which I have been missing in season 6 as they have been v.standaloneish episodes to date, (except for Terms of Endearment maybe - but I didn't much care for that.) This episode though, I knew where it was leading to, the conclusion was obvious and I didn't mind it one bit. It wasn't left open ended and it had a happy ending which wasn't stupid or unbelieveable. Of course it didn't harm the episode to have a very strong theme of love running all the way through as I'm a sucker when it comes to romance. It also included some great Mulder/Scully banter and the fantastic moment of the two swaying together at the reunion party. Which I admit I played back a few times! All in all I highly enjoyed it and dare I say it.... after Triangle this has been my favourite episode of the season so far. It really is my guilty pleasure!moreless

Junk Food

By Anon67683, Apr 14, 2007

Further confirmation that the X-Files has lost its way in Season Six. This episode is the equivalent of junk food - looks good, tastes good, but ultimately empty and even harmful in large doses.

The gimmicky guest star trend continues, this time with Victoria Jackson, whose vapid goofballness instantly dooms this episode. Mulder and Scully are relegated to the role of bemused spectators as Ms. Jackson and her goofy costars engage in cornball antics that belong in a show like "Mama's Family" instead of the X-Files.

The constant riffs on Mulder and Scully's platonic relationship are supposed to be funny and insightful, I guess, but they quickly get old and tired. I laughed out loud when I saw the airplane land amidst the mountains of "northeastern Kansas." Ever been there? It's flat as a pancake from the Waffle House. And the people there aren't nearly like the "country bumpkins" that are played for laughs in this episode.

There are some funny moments in this episode and the producers do succeed in creating an entertaining hour of television. It's just too bad that they decided to give us an episode of "Mama's Family" instead of an X-Files episode.moreless

Mulder and Scully investigate a "Rain King" and drought in the Mid West.

By krc1314, Jan 24, 2007

Mulder brings Scully along to investigate a "Rain King" charging people for rain storms to provide for their crops. At first Scully is shocked that Mulder dragged her all they way out there to check on someone "controlling" the weather. Mulder is intrigued to find out what is the center to the mysterious weather in this small town. Over the years it has had several tornados, droughts, thunderstorms, hailstorms, and other strange weather patterns. At first Mulder tries to find out who is at the center of the weather. A woman from the town thinks she is causing all of this trouble for her small town. But it turns out that the weatherman of the town and his emotions help control the weather. Especially when his emotions are related to his highschool sweetheart, whom he cant seem to tell her his feelings. In this episode we see Mulder and Scully swaying together at a highschool reunion. And each is questioned on wether or not they have feelings for the other. Scully replies that she would be with someone she really considers as her friend, someone she can trust, this seems to me that unknowingly she shows us that she has feelings for Mulder.moreless

The one with the guy who controls the weather.

By SleepTight, Sep 24, 2006

‘The Rain King’ is a very underrated and simply fun, feel good episode. It’s about a man controlling the weather

The episode begins with a woman having a fight with a man she wants to marry, he leaves her upset because he didn’t want her to tell anyone, outside it suddenly starts to rain very hard and when he opens the door it hits him, those are big ice hearts.

Mulder and Scully are called on the case, where a man goes it rains, Scully doesn’t believe it at first until the guy does some sort of ritual and then it begins to rain and she finally shuts it.

The funniest thing about this episode was that everyone thought that Scully and Mulder were partners, while they tried to make sure they weren’t. At night Mulder almost gets killed by a cow, the woman that was inlove with the so called Rain king believes she was responsible and tells Mulder about her life with rain, that it has haunt her for her whole life. A colleague of hers that is hers best friend keeps following her around, Mulder begins to suspect that maybe he might have something to do with it all.

That guy has been inlove with Sheila all his life, that’s why he makes it rain, because he loves her but can’t get her. When she tells him that she is inlove with Mulder, he gets very upset. Meanwhile Mulder figured it all out and tries to tell the guy to confess his love but he is like a blind man leading a blind man, he hasn’t been on a date for a very long while either. Sheila then comes to confess her love and kisses Mulder on his mouth and everyone sees her, the so called rain king who didn’t control the weather comes in, he lost his leg that night all that ice fell on him. He now wants Sheila back but she isn’t interested in him anymore.

When the school party starts, Mulder tells the guy to confess her love but she doesn’t want him, she only sees him as a friend. The guy can’t control his mood and makes it storm, but when Sheila discovers the truth about it all and that everything that has happened is because of him, she thinks it’s romantic and falls inlove with him.

Even though this episode is beyond cheesy, it’s also hilarious, possibly one of the funniest episodes of the show. The end is also great, like a fairy tale. A very nice and enjoyable episode.moreless

Load More Reviews