Trust No 1

Episode Reviews (14)

Great

Trust No 1

By TrueTvWatcher, Sep 14, 2012

Trust No 1 was a superb episode of The X-Files and I really enjoyed watching. The story was intriguing and very engaging as Scully was approached with information that could help save Mulder. It was fun watching her wrestle with her emotions for Mulder while Doggett and Reyes did what they could to help. The mystery man was interesting and it was fun watching Scully be led around in order to meet him. I liked how every thing played out and look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!moreless

Post Mulder World

By Anon67683, Mar 08, 2011

A solid "B" effort that showcases Anderson's acting abilities and advances the anemic Super Soldiers storyline somewhat with the revelation that they can be destroyed.

What brings this episode down is subpar writing. The plot is silly and the attempt to create suspense as to whether or not Mulder will reappear is utterly contrived as we all know that he ain't coming back, or at least we should know this given that his name doesn't appear in the credits.

Not that the writers don't try valiantly to evoke the ghost of Mulder by showing us a montage of Mulder shots, creating an exchange of emails between him and Scully and teasing us with his supposed return on a train that (of course) does not stop to let him off. As with most of the episodes in Seasons Eight and Nine, there are a lot of plot holes and inconsistencies in this episode. If the NSA guy can manage to track down Scully's every move, down to her night of sweet, sweet love with Mulder, why can't he locate Mulder? And why would he make Scully go through such an elaborate process to meet him when in the end he simply shows up alone on a public train platform surrounded by FBI agents? How does our short-legged Scully outrun a Super Soldier at the end? And finally, what is up with Reyes' new Farrah Fawcett hairdo?

:)moreless

The super soldier stuff is interesting but why are we listening to Scully writing nauseatingly mushy emails to Mulder?

By whiteraven2005, Mar 08, 2011

Why are we subjected to Scully waxing lyrical about Mulder? Talk about romanticizing, absence must make the heart go fonder because to listen to Scully's painful voiceover, she and Mulder were the greatest lovers since Anthony and Cleopatra. Where Mulder's email is touching, Scully's is nauseating saccharine.

I always thought Scully was a good parent until now – she sits for several minutes staring at the computer without once looking down at William. As a FBI agent, she should know how many young children are abducted in public places. Even better, she lets a complete stranger stay in her house (remember what happened the last time?) when she should have been very suspicious at seeing the same couple twice in one day in a situation designed to make Scully intervene. When did Scully become this selfish? Her priority should be Mulder's safety, not that she misses him – she nearly got him killed because she pulled him out of hiding.

What is this Romeo and Juliet stuff? Disguised as an episode about the super soldiers but that accomplishes nothing and provides only one useful fact: that the super soldiers can be killed by the stuff at the quarry.moreless

One of, if not the best, episode of season 9. And, FINALLY, someone gives credence to Scully and Mulder sharing a bed together (as seen in the opener to season seven's "All Things"). It seemed like they were trying to make like it never happened

By fedextech, Jun 03, 2010

I had alot of early reservations about a season of my favorite tv show without it's core character. However, I found that the writing for this season picked up kind of a "renewed" vibe with stories that wouldn't have made much sense with Mulder and even different ways of shooting the episodes that gave season 9 an almost "indy film" feel. But this episode showed that it had all the elements that made people watch during the show's "glory days". Gillian Anderson stood out as a truly magnificent actress by showing her character's strength and vulnerability without having her partner there to draw from, that she did for so many years before. REMARKABLE!!!!!!!moreless

The X Files at its best.

By farscapefanuk, Jun 03, 2010

I really do believe that, i think this episode is fantastic. The writing for this episode is fantastic i really don't know why it doesn't have a higher score. Finally we learn more about where Mulder is and how Scully is in contact with him through email. 'trustno1' hense the name. Anyway Scully finds out that it is still dangerous for Mulder to retuen so she tells him to keep away. I was really nice beliving that Mulder was going to turn up but he never did. Doggett played a good part in this episode and we also see more of the super soldiers. This is definatly one of the best episodes of seaosn 9. Seriously not to be missed.moreless

Yawn or not?

By Aly358, Jun 03, 2010

Good things first: This is a Scully centered episode which in itself is already a garant for a +5 rating because of GA's acting.

Sadly the episode doesn't offer much more than a couple of opportunities for GA to show what an amazing actress she is. The first twenty minutes of this episode are tedious at best. The suspense of wether we get to see Mulder again is actually non-existent (need not even read the news - just read the credits) and therefor painful in it's perseverance.

Then the show takes a turn with again more plotholes than I would have thought a single writer could come up with. Not going to bore you with the details because then it would be really painful to watch. The soundtrack is good though and the actors really give it their best shot.

Also you shouldn't miss this because of the information that is revealed at the end.moreless

Superb

By BRUJA20, Dec 29, 2006

I know your blood type, your resting heart rate your childhood fear of clowns. I know the name of your college boyfriend your true hair color, your ATM pin number favorite charities, pet peeves. I know you spend too much time alone. And I know ... that on one lonely night you invited Mulder to your bed.

wow!!!!

Love it!

By spookymully, Aug 07, 2006

I love this episode so much, because you can sense and see how much Mulder and Scully love each other. The messages they send to each other... love it!!!

The words are so well choosen in this e-mail messages, great work writers!

Gillian Anderson is such a great actress, she really puts her soul in to Scully, when she cries, I crie too.

I was actually convinced that I also would see Mulder again in this episode. Gosh, was I disappointed! But Scully can do it alone, great work Gill!

For me, this episode belongs with my favourits...

It\'s a pity the series has ended!

Kate

moreless

Wow!

By javaluver, Jul 15, 2006

I was so impressed by this installment! Although I definately prefer the episodes where Mulder is present, in the 9th season the crew is obviously working over-time to help make up for the loss. This episode is fast paced and intriguing and leaves the audience stunned at every twist and turn. The cinematography was amazing too and I loved the fact that they showed parts from the end during the opening sequence so that they viewer can't wait to find out what was going on. The audience is also let in on a very juicy secret: Scully is not a natural redhead! One of the best episodes of the season.moreless

Weird and wonderful - and Gillian Anderson's acting is extraordinary

By qstevie, May 12, 2006

This is top notch X Files - a final season episode that puts everyone in danger and moves the story along well.

Scully's feelings are portrayed brilliantly - everything from distrust to belief and whatever in between. The thought of seeing Mulder again, and then nearly getting him killed.

Although the cast list shows 'Terry O'Quinn' as the Shadow Man, for some reason he chose to be listed as Terrance Quinn in the titles. Always a good actor and it's a bit bizarre seeing him in this episode of the X Files without thinking of him in Millennium, where 'Shadow Man' could just as easily have summed up his character.

It's frightening to think that every minute of our lives could be being watched and manipulated - maybe there's a conspiracy theory brewing there too!

Good to see the Super Soldier storyline moved on to a possible way of killing them.moreless

Load More Reviews