X-COPS

Episode Reviews (18)

Great

X-COPS

By TrueTvWatcher, Sep 04, 2012

X-COPS was a very different yet extremely entertaining episode of The X-Files. I really enjoyed the Cops format and it was great to see Mulder and Scully be initially questioned by the Sheriff's Department. I really enjoyed watching the agents investigate and be filmed at the same time. It was funny to see how they each acted and reacted. Mulder was pleased with the mass exposure while Scully tried to remain conservative and objective since the F.B.I. had nothing to hide. This was a great change of pace for the series and refreshing in some ways. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!moreless

so good

By thparadox, Jun 08, 2012

I find that X files is really hit and miss with comedic episodes. I prefer episodes that are entirely serious with 1-2 dry wit lines from Mulder/Scully. OR full comedy episodes.

This episode was flawless. It proved brilliant satire for both Cops and the X files. In particular, the scenes where Mulder talks to the camera are deep humour... Mulder comes off as absurd and somewhat narcissistic, while poking fun at the Cops format. I also was on the floor when the Deputy was commenting on the sketch artist getting killed with cliche after cliche. And there is nothing better than agent Scully pissed off, sarcastic, and trying desperately to keep it real. "The FBI has nothing to hide". What a terrific episodemoreless

"Cops" clashes with "X-Files"

By JaCkKbAuEr2424, May 13, 2011

Maybe it's because "The X-Files" has so few classic episodes anymore throughout the sixth and seventh season, or maybe because it's just a good hour of TV.. I'm not sure, all I know is that this episode was one of the better installments I've seen of the show. It was creative and a precursor to the way that certain TV shows would resort to documentary formats for their own shows.

I loved the way we got a creative new way to follow Scully and Mulder on one of their cases.. it was hilarious to see the way that the cops all were excited to have possible armed suspects, only for us to learn that it was just the two FBI agents. Meanwhile, the thing that they were chasing reminded me of something that Supernatural would do nowadays, which is a good thing.. it kept us on our toes as we tried figuring out where the show was going and who the bad guy would be.

I also thought Vince Gilligan, Chris Carter and the rest of the crew did a great job of capturing that "Cops" feel without losing the feel for "The X-Files." You still had all the typical push/pull between Mulder and Scully, just in a different format. It was a clever episode, one that's much needed in the show at this point in time.moreless

A wonderful treat for X-Files fans. Our favorite FBI agents find themselves being filmed for a COPS episode while hunting down a supernatural monster.

By johndoe70, Dec 18, 2010

One of my favorite episodes. True X-File/Sci-Fi fans are able to enjoy some good nature parody, this being a prime example. When a supernatural monster attacks the crew of COPS, our favorite FBI agents find themselves being filmed for the series as they track down the monster, before it kills anyone else.

Everything about this episode is a homage to the COPS series and, to some extent, independent horror films such as the Blair Witch Project. Its funny, but also provides a creepy and well written storyline that works within the X-Files world.

This episode also features the first gay couple in the series. The interracial gay couple might be in response to previous complaints about how the issue of gender identity was dealt with in 'Gender Bender'.moreless

When Good Shows Go Bad

By Anon67683, Jun 29, 2010

I'm dumfounded by the sheer badness of this episode, which is easily the worst since Season One's "Space." I'm also amazed by all the love this episode seems to attract. The producers give up ALL pretense of what the X-Files are supposed to be about in favor of a smirking parody of a second-rate Fox reality show. The mind boggles at how this concept got past the drunken party-talk stage to become an actual episode.

Sure, it's fun to watch Mulder and Scully mug for the cameras, at least the first dozen or so times. Then you realize that the entire episode is nothing more than a goof, a filler episode that is so disposable that Duchovny actually breaks character several times to laugh at the lines he is supposed to recite. Seriously.

There isn't even any monster to be seen, nor any proper X-File for that matter. Instead, all we get are a few conflicting eyewitness "accounts" of the monster that are about as dramatic as the evening news. We also get a lot of cops running around. Oh, and a couple shots of the full moon. Spooky.

It's interesting how stiffly both Duchovny and Anderson come across as actors without the benefit of careful setups and editing. Their performances in this episode are just awful, which is saying a lot since they are both very fine actors. I suppose one can argue that it is intended that their performances come across badly, but the acting is SO bad that it pulls one out of the storyline.moreless

The X-files go reality TV!

By velvet_fox, Apr 13, 2010

Now I've come to the conclusion after reading varying different reviews that this episode is like Marmite - you either love it or hate it. Its safe to say (like marmite) that I love this episode and fail to understand (like marmite) how anyone can dislike the episode, the whole concept of it is genius and imo its superbly executed as it takes a very .fictional and unreal story and makes it realistic. I haven't felt so enthusiastic for an episode since the likes of "Jose Chung's from outer space", "The Post-Modern Prometheus" or "Small Potatoes"!

Using the style of a docu drama it really gives the episode a feeling that it actually did happen like a true documentary. For the most part I often forgot that what I was watching wasn't just a fictional story, as it unravelled in a natural and what seemed to be an almost unscripted way. However this brings me to one of the few flaws I found in this episode and that was the Mulder/Scully interaction. Unlike the scenes with the supporting cast (who were all excellent and greatly believable in their roles) DD and GA did not do the greatest of acting when sharing a scene together and I'm putting it down to the fact of having the usual brightly colourful dialogue that they always share in the normal episodes of the X Files. Of course I usually love it, but with this type of episode it didn't quite work, it didn't seem natural, and unlike the rest of the scenes and interactions very scripted indeed, not quite giving the illusion of reality or of the chaotic style of the story, which was the whole intention of X Cops, it was all too polished. That being said there were a few gems between them like Mulder's teasing of Scully's hair - how it would look good as bubblegum pink - and Scully's far from amused silence.

GA and DDs acting was not a total wash out as they did have wonderful scenes with the other characters. Loved it when the female officer said to Mulder: "What the $^&* are you talking about!?" after hearing one of his crazy theories (something I've personally wondered why no one has asked before) that was great! Scully's annoyance with the camera crew as well was wonderful, I totally cracked up into hysterics after the "The FBI has nothing to hide" line and loved the disgruntled glares she kept throwing their way, that was brilliant from GA.

Moving on though the actual X files of the episode (the "monster") was again a great idea. Having it kill by playing on your greatest fear was a quite horrific concept and also interesting, especially to see what it would turn up as next, even if we never actually got to see it - which just added to the sense of horror as it was unknown as to what exactly we were dealing with. I think this "monster" while working effectively in this episode would also have been very intriguing in say your average X files episode. Its just the whole idea of fear effectively being the monster which is really clever and original. I always love it when the X files comes up with something original, it reminds me so much of why I love this show. So the "monster of the week" certainly didn't disappoint.

Overall the episode while having a small hiccup with the Mulder/Scully dynamic, was superb! I've given a 10 on the basis that I came away feeling so entertained by the 45 minutes of television put before me that I just have the impulse to watch over and over again. Its something I'm so relieved to feel once more in the X-files because as much as I loved season 6 and the beginning of this season, I just never had that feeling the enthusiasm. So thank you X Cops for rejuvenating my great love and passion for this show! Its just a shame the episode is followed by "First Person Shooter".moreless

Good idea to do it cops like.

By Gilmoregirl999, Aug 25, 2008

This episode can be considered to be an episode of Cops. The whole episode is film with a handy camera. The isea and the storyline were great, who do they come up with it.

One thing I found to bad though. I love the way the camera men film thenormal episodes, I think it makes them look even more scary and more mysterious although this episode could be considered as reality.

I love the way Mulder acted so normal and even talked to the camera's as if he enjoyed it. Scully on the other hand hated the camera and let it show, which makes it hilarious.moreless

Scary and inventive. Good to watch late at night on a full moon. Also The X-Files that maybe took the most risks.

By Uncle_SaltyJT, Sep 28, 2007

The whole episode was filmed on hand-held cameras. The episode features absolutely no music from Mark Snow. There is barely any time spent with Mulder and Scully alone. And last but not least, you never see the monster they are chasing.

This episode took the most risks of any other x-file. Vince Gilligan really went outside of the box for this one. The concept of fear incarnate was by itself good enough for a pretty interesting episode. Since, by its nature, you would never see the monster, it made the danger seem more real. The "Cops" flavor adds to this feel. Following "Closure" was going to be a hard task for a standard X-File. Even if it had been followed with a decent stand alone storyline with excellent character development, it would have felt like a let down. "X-Cops" avoids this entirely by taking everyone out of their comfort zone. This was the perfect time to do this because the audience can't set up any expectations. Mulder's characterization was spot on. He loved being in the spotlight and having the opportunity to showcase his passion and the paranormal. Scully is annoyed and we never get a clear reason why. She says she is worried about her reputation and I think this is the first time she has come out to Mulder and told him this since the first season so that felt a little wrong. The guest characters do a great job, and they have to in order to make everything believable in the "cops" setting. The style of the camera work and the fact that you never see what is teriffying the characters mirrors "The Blair Witch Project" in a lot of ways. That's not a complaint, though, since it works out well on The X-Files. 9/10moreless

Not as interesting as it thinks it is

By Cristina_chavia, Aug 26, 2007

In all honesty, I have never relaly enjoyed Cops, so it's not entirely surprising with how much trepidation I approached this episode. the main problem with the format, after the initial novlety of seeing Scully ducking out of sight or Mulder playing up for the camera, is that "reality TV" is a very distancing medium. It constantly calls attention to itself and reduces the impact of the characters.

The idea itself, of hviang nothing to fear but fear itself, is not a new one. The idea of the wasp man was fun, though. Perhaps if it had been carried out in another way it would have been more endearing, but by 45 minutes I found it tiresome. How many times do we need to see a boom mic or camera man?

Nice idea, shame about the outcome.moreless

Load More Reviews