The X's

Mediocre
5.5

Criminally Underrated

By peplarry12, Nov 22, 2014

No, The X's was not the most original show ever. No, it was not always consistent. No, it did not always know what it wanted to be. All those things said, this show still got WAY too much criticism for what it was back in 2005-2006 ( i . e . the time mainly considered the point where Nickelodeon went downhill), probably thanks in no small part to the fact that The Incredibles was still fresh in people's minds and everyone was on the "it's not original" bandwagon. I guarantee if The X's didn't coincide with the downfall of Nickelodeon, and it instead aired during the heyday, or heck, even today (when put next to even MORE horrible shows), it'd be viewed in a more favorable light.

While some parts of the show suffer from some awkward repetition, and some lapses in continuity, the humor is pretty spot on in most cases. The thing is, it's hard to find the middle ground for humor when it comes to shows like this, where the majority of it comes from dialogue. That's not something a lot of kids shows these days do, because many kids don't understand the dialogue or have the attention span to listen to it. That must have been obvious to many of the writers, and that's probably why they had to insert utterances like "Fartmonkeys", said by Glowface and Truman, into the show, to captivate the yougest viewers' attention. But really, when you look past that stuff, much of the dialogue is pretty damn good.

Voice acting is superb, my favorites being Mr. X, Mrs. X, Lorenzo Suave, and Home Base (all his subtle, "hmm, yes"s and bursts of outrage are awesome). And the art, this is something that people complained about back when this show was on, but in my opinion it's a strong point. Took me a while to realize it, but the art style is actually very unique without being jarring, and to me the simplicity of color in backgrounds (where the backgrounds themselves are pretty damn detailed) makes the whole scene appealing. The show's mix of 2D and 3D is also quite astonishing by 2005 standards, for a show that I can only assume had a very limited budget.

Relationships between characters change between episodes (refer back to continuity lapses), but they still remain relatively believable over time. While SNAFU's intentions don't really seem to have a point, neither do most bad guys in shows aimed for the family or kids these days; it's just something you can overlook when you learn to enjoy the characters themselves. Glowface is just so helplessly idiotic you can't help but like him, especially in his brief moments of sympathy when he's otherwise evil (yet very childish).

I recently saw the episode that supposedly never aired, "Theater of War/Breaking Camp", and it felt so good to see what I considered a "new" episode of The X's after over 8 years. It makes me want to try and at least get the show back into the public eye because, let's face it, the show was poorly received back in its day, and because it wasn't the gross-out kinda bad or the hyperactive/directionless kinda bad (just the "boring" kinda bad- codeword for "too much dialogue"), it was quickly forgotten.

I truly think that if people still remembered this show, new viewers would find it better than others did in 2005.moreless

C'mon it alright

By NatT96, Aug 02, 2014

I watch alot of the episodes.

A Dumb Version Of The Incredibles

By ScampTVCritic, Nov 18, 2013

I remember not liking this show very much. The animation never grabbed me whatsoever, and I found the characters to be pretty boring and dull.

My favorite character

By WreckItRalph901, Jan 05, 2013

This will be my favorite TV show and my favorite character will be Tuesday X.

Uh, like, A CLONE OF THE INCREDIBLES!! U have got to notice it!!

By DPhantomFntic84, Dec 18, 2012

Animations... weird.

Storylines... ok.

Originality... NOT.

I wrote this right after the second half-hour premiere. This might not be as sucessful as Danny Phantom. And I'm not saying this because I love Danny Phantom. I'm saying this because the show needs to be a little more... original. This show is like The Incredibles, if you are not able to see it.

In general, this is the WORST thing I've ever seen. That list includes Rugrats Goes Wild.

And with that, I shall continue to look for a store that sells Nickelodeon video games with Danny Phantom in it. (Oh, great, forgot to check Toys "R" Us!!)moreless

What are those?

By DreadAngelus, Jun 17, 2012

Eggh.

Plot: Somewhat a rip-off of "The Secret Saturdays" or Kim-Possible.

Character: They have okay on personality detail, good voices.

Humor or action value? Huh: I don't understand this show what it focuses about.

Art: TERRIBLE! MORE TERRIBLE THAN PROBLEM SOLVERZ. Those artists are too lazy to make a cartoon, and should get out and go back to their couches. The animation, is bad too.

Overall: -5.7. What is this? Are they human? This is worst than Problem Solverz!moreless

I loved Catdog, and I loved this "garbage"...

By MadameCat, Nov 28, 2011

Oh come on. How bad was this show? Catdog was creative, and this show had potential. Lots of it. It was just low-rated, and hardcore animation fans just couldn't take another look at it before criticizing it. Now, from what I remember about the X's, there was a Helen Parr-like mother, a Dash-like son, and a Violet Parr-like daughter, as well as the bumbling Mr. X. Sure, it sounds like an Incredibles rip-off TV show; but I just want people to give the X's another chance and not just mindlessly criticize it at first glance. Same went with Catdog. Both shows were rather well-played in my opinion.moreless

This has got to be one of the worst Nicktoons of all time.

By Woahwoah312, Aug 17, 2011

Many Nicktoons of this decade has failed us and sucked like Fanboy and Chum Chum,The Mighty B,All Grown Up and As Told By Ginger. However,the one that is so forgettable is The X's. This show is about a family who are really spies,and try to save the world from Glowface,a villain who is not even threatening in any way. So this is a rip-off of Spy Kids and The Incredibles. Wow,Nick is really running out of ideas these days. Now,all of the members of the family suck at being spies. The dad is annoying,and that's because he is voiced by Patrick Warburton,the guy who voiced Joe from Family Guy and the stupid cop from Scooby Doo:Mystery Inc. The mom is like the dad. Truman is the only character I liked,despite the fact that he's a bit of a brat. The older sister is selfish,and annoying. Glowface is a terrible villain,who sucks at what he does. But don't even get me started on the dreadful animation. It looks like the creators just drawn and cut out shapes and glued them together. I know that's the animation of South Park,but it's great in that show,but in this show,it looks horrible. Everybody moves slowly,and they look horrible in animation like that. And despite the fact that this show is horrible,it only lasted 4 years. Why?! This doesn't even belong in the Nicktoons category. Overall,this is a bad show,and never should be watched again.moreless

OKAY, WHOS THE RETARD!?

By dudet4, Jun 24, 2011

SOMEBODY CANCEL THIS!!!!!!!!!

what looser came up with such a dumb show?! and also, what looser would watch it?! UNORIGINAL, UNFUNNY, BAD ANIMATED, AND NOT COOL. and i thought catsratch was bad enough, but they brought more!! and its boring.

this show is a complete copy from the incredibles, the spy family and everything. another dumb nick show. *sigh* but i am glad they canceled my dad the rock star.

and also have you heard some of the "jokes"?! if they are jokes. they are corny and not funny. i dont know whats gotten in to nick. they should go to tv.com and see how sucky there shows are.

------------dudett4------------moreless