Thundarr the Barbarian

Show Reviews (4)

Great

Future-Medieval before it became chic

By belial_77, Sep 11, 2007

I remember fondly getting the part of Ookla the Mok... (not the voicing, but the acting was me)... I just read the script and thought WOW! Wizards and Warriors... in the Future!?!?! What a great concept!!! And now it seems to be a reoccurring theme... From Warhammer 40K's tabletop wargames to the up-coming Neil Marshall movie "Doomsday" are using the basic concept that was shown on our little Saturday Morning cartoon... I'd like to see Space Ghost or the Herculoids say that!

While in retrospect, the voice acting and direction were corn-ball by todays standards, we definitely raised the bar for more edgy, darker cartoons in a realm ran by cereal mascots and 30 min. toy ads...moreless

Set 2000 years after the destruction of civilization, Thundarr the Barbarian brought a harder, more adult edge to Staurday morning cartoons.

By tmkreutzer, May 25, 2007

In 1994, a runaway planet hurtles between the Earth and the Moon, causing widespread damage and destroying civilization as we know it. 2000 years later, a new world filled with mutants, barbarians, wizards and all manner of beasts has been built upon the ruins of the old. It is the world of Thundarr the Barbarian, Princess Ariel and Ookla the Mok, who travel the globe battling evil doers who seek to oppress the ordinary people who struggle to survive.

Clearly influenced by Star Wars, Conan the Barbarian and period comic books, Thundarr the Barbarian was a show that truly surpassed the usual fare of Saturday morning TV. With top notch writing, great animation, strong character design and wonderful background scenes that feature the destroyed ruins of modern civilization, the show set a very high standard.

Thundarr has a look and feel similar to the adult oriented "Heavy Metal" which was released in theaters about time that Thundarr was in production and some modern Japanese anime. Considering the fact that this show was intended for Saturday mornings, it is a truly amazing piece of work. American TV animation did not return to this level of sophistication until Warner Brothers introduced "Batman, The Animated Series" over a decade later.

I give this show high marks. Thundarr the Barbarian only lasted a couple of seasons when it was released but I am sure that it would have lasted much if cable TV were commonplace during that era. I'm surprised that the production company has not revisited the series because I think it could still be a hit. Highly recommended.moreless

The best Cartoon of the 80's

By TankCop, Aug 06, 2005

This new above all cartoon shows deserves to come back as its own new series as a anime-style series or a Live Action Movie!

This show would be perfect!

I mean its got all the making of Sci-Fi GOLD!!!

It was way ahead of its time when it came out.

God I miss this series.