Top Chef

Show Reviews (55)

Great

The """F""" BOMB!!!!

By tammypotter46, Oct 23, 2014

The Asian girl you have on this new season is HORRENDOUS! Don't they know they are being video taped and you ALLOW this much LANGUAGE! She cant find enough ways to use the ""F"" I say NOT a LADY in any way and the owner of the restaurant that leaves HER in charge (like she stated) MUST NOT know!! Imagine what the staff and customers must hear! I see LAWSUIT down the line for her assume she didn't talk this way in audition! But you continue to let her talk this way on camera! Worse than trailer park is a time for anything but NATIONAL T V??moreless

top ched bullies and permissive production crew and judges

By bethfager, Apr 30, 2014

I may be watching an older season but I am appalled at how Marcel was bullied by the 3 other chef's near the end of series. I find it outrageous how he was physically assaulted by Cliff. If the hosts and producers can't see how this individual has been treated - they all need to go to a class on what's appropriate. And to boot- Marcel is the best chef left - particularly since he has been professional compared to other 3 remaining people. Marcel is only one that doesn't have an attitude. One contestant who hadn't seen him in 2 months and sees him in first class flight says he is already annoying him- that is a trouble maker and the others are bullies. Sometimes when 3 people with all of a similar type of faults get together it can be dangerous for the 4th person. I hope they treat Marcel properly.

As an aside - I was so disappointed he lost but understand and not convinced he wasn't sabotaged with his "missing" fish. I was so pleased and proud of Gail Simmons and P. Lakshi defended Marcel when this bully ex contestant insinuated his food was horrible without even eating it. I realise this was an old episode but just shocked by this mob mentality attack following what was nothing short of a choke hold type of lock they physically put Marcel throw. Frankly, I am surprised he didn't sue CBS,moreless

Kind of a familiar area

By Raven77, Jan 31, 2014

We have all seen cooking shows and I think that this one more or less stands out on its own. It does have a lot of exciting moments but not enough to satisfy me.

padma is why i won't watch

By LeAnnDavisWhi, Feb 24, 2013

I once loved Top Chef. It was all about competition between chefs with one exceptional chef winning. That's how it should be. Then one night I happened to see Padma on that late night Bravo show (by accident--it came on after Top Chef, and I was getting ready for bed, and the fact that Padma was on caught my attention) and she was absolutely gushing about campaigning for Obama--I lost all respect for her, and lost all interest in the show. Apparently she's either so wealthy that his policies won't touch her or so stupid due to her lofty celebrity status that she can't see the truth. Whichever it is, I too am driven by my love of country and memory of what this country once was and could be again, that I could not care less about this show, and feel ill at the sight of this woman. I am so disappointed.

moreless

Real Chefs of Texas Flip Out -- Thoughts on Season Nine's Descent To the Rest of Bravo's Execrable Programming.

By layle1, Mar 01, 2012

I don't like reality TV. Bear with me. That statement is not the complete logical disconnect that it appears at first read. The higher echelon of reality fare -- no Kardashians need apply -- focuses not on the deconstruction of the human race, but on gamesmanship and excellence. This season the food played second chair to the petty bullying of a clique of women contestants. If I watched Big Brother or any of the Real Housewives franchises, maybe I'd have a different take on this season. But I come for the food.

It's quite clear that early on the producers saw a story arc and decided to exploit it into a gender-biased season. Even if the numbers don't support me, the editing made it feel as though I was seeing more boy vs. girl challenges than in any other season. The foundation of that was the bullying of Bev by certain of the women chefs rumpus. Scripted comments and editing made this bigger than it was, but it was still happening and the decision was made to capitalize on it as though Top Chef was one of the bottom-feeding reality programs and not an Emmy-winning show.

I'm sure the producers thought it was a sound decision ratings-wise, and the numbers may prove them correct. As a viewer, however, I believe it was a tactical misstep because that decision took me completely out of the Top Chef experience; something that hasn't happened since season two and the hijinks with Marcel. If I watch any season nine episode, I do not root for the best chef to win. I root for anyone but Sarah, Lindsay or Heather to win and begrudge all of them their cash prizes and perks that go with the wins. This is not how I want to watch the show. I come for the food.

As long as I'm passing blame around, it's only fair to share it with the women who sparked the story idea. There are always personality clashes in a work setting, and a competition only makes it more fraught. We see it every season; the chefs snap at each other, accuse one or the other of laziness. It's all happened before. What hasn't happened is the persistence and the ostracization to this level. For whatever reason, mob mentality took over and never left. What's sad is that, because no one in the mob could detach and regain a modicum of professional conduct, it provided the opening for the producers to flavor the whole season with the ladies' ugly behavior.

With any luck there will be a more professional group of chefs next season, and focus will shift primarily back to the competition. Like I said, I come for the food.moreless

Enjoy the Food Network? Always thought you could be the best cook in the world. Then Top Chef is for you. This reality competition takes Chef's from all different backgrounds and see who comes out as Top Chef.

By gggroupie, Sep 09, 2010

Top Chef began after the huge success seen by its predecessor Project Runway. It took a real life skill that could not be hidden by camera edits because the contestants had to produce a finished product. Top Chef is a great program for all food lovers. You can see the most amazing dishes created in a matter of minutes or hours depending the challenge.

The premise is simple. The show starts off with a Quickfire challenge, which I consider the preamble to the show. The Quickfire is designed to see what the Chef's can do in a small amount of time using only their background and prior knowledge. They have no planning and almost always make it right down to the buzzer. Typically the bottom three and top three chef's are showcased. The bottom three are aware of what they did wrong and will have to "bring it" in the Elimination Challenge later in the episode. Typically the Winner of the Quickfire receives immunity in the Elimination Challenge competition, which can be great if the elimination challenge is not team based.

Then the show continues with the Elimination Challenge, which allows for more prep and planning on a budget of course, with limited access to the stocked kitchen. Sometimes the Chef's are so stumped they are even planning in the supermarket as they find items and go from there. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. As I mentioned above the Elimination Challenge could be individual based or team based, but typically it is team based. So when a member of your team has immunity it just means that everyone else has to step up so your team does not fall behind. Some of the Chef's get lost and think oh, one of our team members has immunity so that means we won't be on the chopping block. Wrong!!

During the first season it was everyman/woman for his/herself and when they formed teams it was a nightmare. As the series has grown more contestants are realizing it is helpful if you can get along with your teammates. It not only helps you not get eliminated, but you turn out a better product for the guests to enjoy.

The judging only takes place at the event the Chef's are creating dishes for. Tom Coliccho is the "Chef" judge and he stops in the kitchen to see how the contestants are progressing. One season a Chef forgot an ingredient and Chef Tom saw that ingredient being prepped and commented at Judges' table about why did that ingredient disappear. The ingredient could have made the dish better and was subsequently sent packing. So his presence could be helpful or hurtful depending on which way you see it.

There is always a guest judge and recently they have brought in Anthony Bourdain and Ted Allen to spicen the mix up. This show is just great entertainment and always enjoyable. Sometimes a little to predictable, but every now and then there is a suprise. Bon Appetit!moreless

I love this show, and another great new season is about to begin

By frontman19, Jun 17, 2010

This show is a food lovers show for sure, the chefs are all passionate, they are all competitive, they all can cook, there is no drama created by the host, it's just who can cook the better food, and I love it. The challenges are all creative and fun, the quickfire's are exciting, especially the races, like the mis-en-plas relay, always fun. This show never gets old and I definitely see it having a really good run, sometimes the drama can overtake the cooking (like Leah and Josea in season 5) but otherwise I see no flaws in this show and I look forward to another great season.moreless

Show for all those who like good food!

By Maryland55, Jun 07, 2010

Well, I can't be totally objective here because I'm in love with good wining and dining. Thus, my obsession with it found its ground. LOL

I really like it and I've learned a lot, by only seeing a season or two. Will catch up on all the rest for sure.

This is a competitive show, it has its dynamic, good food, excellent chefs, interesting tasks, and lets you in on a few tips from chefs who work in great restaurants, have their own ways but still manage to emphasize on the nationality of each dish.

Will continue to watch and will recommend it to all those who like being in their kitchens, chopping, cooking, frying etc.

Good one!!!moreless

You can learn from this show!

By piscesryche, Feb 16, 2009

I love this show. I have been watching it since the 2nd season and have since caught up and have seen all of them. You can learn recipes from this show, learn about what is new, in style as well as old traditional recipes and see a lot of really interesting people that have raw talent.

This show also is entertaining. Has some drama but that is good because I am interested in the cooking!

I have since used some recipes from the show and have my favorite chefs. Both Dales, Howie and my newest favorite, Carla. I would love to see where some of the old contestants are cooking now. I highly recommend this show to people who love to cook. You don't need to know a lot to watch it.moreless

This is not the real world,this show needs to focus on the cooking & the deserving chef's not the love story between 2 people who should not even be there anymore. Stop sending the good people home.

By babylou04, Feb 06, 2009

I really do love this show I've watched it every season but on this season so far Im not impressed. I pretty much always agree with the judge's choices on who to send home. However when Ariane was sent home I couldn't believe it,their were 2 other people on the bottom that deserved to home wayyyy ahead of her,shes an amazing chef and should have been on the show a lot longer than she was. Also this week I did not agree with the decision to send Jamie home. I thought for sure she would make it in the top 2 along with Stephan,she's is one of the best chef's there and should have stayed on the show longer instead she went home so the show can play up the stupid love story of 2 chef's who no one cares about. I think the only reason Leah has not gone home yet and two other deserving chef's have gone home is because the producers want to play up this romance bs between Hosea and Leah and I personally do not care. I dont watch this show for the drama and I think if the show continues to go on this way,they will lose a lot of viewers,including myself. At this point it would not surprise me if the remaining 2 chef's are Leah & Hosea just so they can go up against each other. This show needs to focus on the good chef's & not the ones who hussie their way through the show aka Leah!moreless

Load More Reviews