Torchwood: Miracle Day

Show Reviews (21)

Great

Great Show

By CharliBrowne, Dec 28, 2012

Great story line, found show by accident. BBC has great hit, can't wait for next season. American Waiting patiently, I have others looking at past episodes, America is watching

How I found it

By Primeval, May 09, 2012

I enjoyed it but those overflow camps scared the hell out of me and I can't belive Jack is mortal it don't work Jack isn't suppose to be mortal. It's crazy with everyone else being mortal. But I loved the other episodes they were awesome.

captain jack the immortal man is still on the hunt to fight aliens.

By jack756, Feb 09, 2012

well i dont know why this as its own thread but whatever.

i want go to much in too detail b/c if u want the full review on what i think about the show.just read my review on the original torchwood review thing.

ill keep this one short since i just finishing writing one for the orginal one.

the writing good.

the acting good.

the characters are intersting.

the special effects and action are good.

overrall its a good show.

i say watch:)

If you're looking for the well plotted, fast paced torchwood, you won't find it here

If you're looking for a fair bit of gay sex in a bloodbath, this is your show

By roweantarts, Sep 21, 2011

Sadly, I'd say I'm the former of those. The worst problem is its pacing. This could have been done in less than half the time, and the filler they add in isn't even interesting.

Other problems include logic jumps. There is nothing special about Jack's blood, it has nothing to do with his normal immortality, andthat fact iseven expressed in the showso why introducing his blood to the blessing would make any difference at all is beyond me. And how Rex became immortal, is just stupidity at work.

Other issues including the unneccessary sexual scenes, did we need to see Jack in bed with a man twice? I know it's past watershed but this was uneccessary, and acomplished nothing plot wise.

Even if this is post-watershed timeslot, and with the normality that torchwood is a more adult show, it is alarming the amount of blood and gore there is in this, most of it unnecessary. (Ie when the burned not quite dead body is being examined, and Jack asks: what happens if we detach the head?)

Several hours, dead ends and acts of violence later and we're still looking at the consequences of the miricle, with no idea as the who's behind this.

Then there are other issues that make little sense. CIA agents are involved, but UNIT are no-where to be found. (I can accept that the Doctor isn't involved, he's spent a grand total of 5 minutes in the present since the Miricle was started)

Several characters don't live up to anything. The families were busy standing around doing nothing, whilst their plans were being wrecked, sounds a bit fishy to me, whilst Jilly Kissinger adds little to nothing to the plot, and Oswald danes did nothing interesting until part 9, aside from becoming the celebrity you love to hate.

The subplot with Gwen's family whilst interesting should have been resolved earlier, it felt odd in the penultimate episode to have the story of Gwen's father rather than the vital moving forward of the plot

Conclusion - set on an interesting premise, this series fails entirely to capitalise on that. Maybe because of poor writing, or because the writers weren't given the freedom to write a compelling story.

I add that a 10-part episode is a stupid idea and very hard to pull off, especially since each part's an hour long, better to have an ongoing plot in the background, whilst concentrating on individual storiesmoreless

"Torturewood". REALLY slow. TOO slow to watch another season. I give up.

By mvanes, Sep 19, 2011

The only reason I watched is because it's Dr Who. VERY slow. This whole season could have been done as a 3-part episode. Not sure if I'm going to watch anymore. Tremendously disappointing. We call it "Torturewood". SGU should have stayed and Torturewood should have gotten cancelled. SGU moved faster, even in the early going.

The excessive, explicit homosexuality was indulgent, unnecessary, and detracted significantly from good story-telling. The character of Oswald Danes had a purpose in one or two episodes, but was largely a waste of time in most episodes.

Even the final episode, in which something finally happened, moved at a snail's pace: felt like 15 minutes of dialog while everyone just stood and waited for the the dialog to stop. It wasn't the sci-fi that wasn't believable, I couldn't suspend my disbelief that everyone would stand around listening to stupid dialog! Writers should be fired.

No more iron-clad story arcs! Give me episodes of good sci-fi like the first season of the REAL TORCHWOOD! BBC should take it back. Trust American networks to ruin good series.moreless

Oh dear...

By Clupea, Sep 19, 2011

Russell T Davies is a simply brilliant writer. Torchwood was a great show. Torchwood Miracle Day is rubbish!

Damn you Americans, what have you done with our show? Did you really think that sex scenes, graphic violence and over-the-top special effects and cgi would improve it? Well, you are wrong.

The "loads of episodes to tell the story" doesn't work - story arcs really shouldn't last more than 3 episodes at most or it just gets filled up with time consuming boredom.Torchwood is a spinoff of Doctor Who - I can't see any self-respecting Doctor guesting in this disaster.

There are very few redeeming features to this transfer across the pond and none of them are American (John Barrowman doesn't count as American as he was born in Scotland). I can only imagine Russell T Davies had very little input to the actual writing and storyline as I've never seen anything he's written that I have disliked before.

The new characters are superficial and unpleasant. The villains are boring. The story, while it did have promise, is just going on and on and on and... I was so looking forward to this and I've struggled to episode 5 and it's just got worse. I'm bored already so will just watch the final episode to find out what happens in the end because I cannot imagine this being renewed - even the Americans hate it.

Such a shame, a few shows translate really well from English to American (The Office being one clear example) but this is not one of them. Please, give it a merciful death and forget this abomination as soon as possible.

Come home Russell - you are clearly not suited to the bright lights and your genius is being destroyed.

moreless

Terrible.

By scottjoc, Sep 19, 2011

Now at the end of without a doubt the worst season of Torchwood, theres so many things wrong with Miracle Day - I wish it was never made. From the start the idea of 'nobody dies' sounded really cool, then they turn it into... that.

1) I've said it before but this should have been like Children of Earth, 5 focused episodes. Compare Children of Earth to Miracle day, notice anything? A lot more happens in Children of Earth, and Miracle Day had twice the airtime.

So that leads me to conclude one thing: If they hadn't spent most of the episodes wasting time like a bunch of howler monkeys on pointless things they could've probably done this story in 3 episodes.

It was long, drawn out and extremely boring - I only watched because I wanted to know how it ends, and that was pretty stupid too.

2) Main characters like Ester died, why didn't I flinch? this bothers me, nobody who died I actually cared about. The most I felt was for Gwens father but even him I had little emotional investment in.

Is it normal that a main character dies and I literally do not care? The doctor in the earlier episode being cooked alive, didn't bother me in the slightest either, they did something wrong here.

If you want an example of emotional investment take Jacks grandson for instance, in Children of Earth - that was actually shocking and actually made me really sad when they killed him - and no thats not just because he was a child either, I'm a pretty jaded person.

3) Unrealistically Stupid Characters.

Example just from the final episode: Rex had suspicions that there was a mole, and yet he brazenly asks for help from the very place he knows there could be a mole - hell they even have a trace program ready to run they are that sure there is a mole. A-Derp? really?

So they know there could be a mole yet they don't have armed guards ready with the explicit instructions that nobody move while they run their trace program, they just go about their business as usual letting the mole have time to set off an explosion killing other characters nobody cares about. You have to try hard to make me not care about the guy who plays Q in Star Trek.

Examples from earlier episodes: Gwen trying to smuggle her father out, and when he keels over on the way out she calls for help "oh god help him help him" - Nobody dies you nimrod, take him home.

That particular problem occurs in most episodes actually, they treat life as if it was happening regularly, the writers not exploiting the situation that they are in properly.

As sad as it is, Oswald Danes was actually the most believable character in this series. He was the only one who behaved like a real person, and he is a psychopathic child molester, wow. Good job Torchwood writing staff!moreless

Don't torture youself if you're a fan of the original.

By MasterChief43, Sep 18, 2011

I don't mind that they tried to do something new and different with the series byt bringing it to America - I actually though it sorta of worked, although a little bit more sci-fi and aliens would have been nice to dumb down the CIA vibe. And despite the other episodes trend to stretch out with a ton of padding for no reason, little things like Bill Pulman's brilliant perfomance and the intricate details of the expertly crafted "What If"? scenario of the Miracle made them watchable and even enjoyable at times. Rex and Esther made a lot of dumb moves throughout the series but they were starting to catch on by the end - I was starting to warm up to them. There we some minor problems here and there and a truly awful episode in which a bald middle-aged fat guy nearly killed half of the team with his bare hands, but for the most part, padding and overly long episodes aside, I wanted to know how all of it would end. The season finale was dreadful, with plot holes so wide and deep, they make even The Blessing seem tiny. Why would the villains not make the Miracle permament from the very start, as it is revealed they can? Why would they get Jack to come out of hiding and get his attention, if he's the only one who can stop them? Wouldn't it make more sense to try and keep him away, then lure him in? Why would Jack's blood, when he said several times that it was in no way special and not a part of his immortality process, make the Miracle work? Why would the Blessing change the original template, i.e Jack, to mortal? Why didn't we get an answer for what The Blessing really is? Jack said that this was a morphic field all the way back in the second episode - we wanted to know more about The Blessing itself. Why did the bad guys stand by and watch as Rex and Jack did what they did when they could have restrained them? Both of them were wounded an unarmed and would not offer much resistance. What happened to the economy after the Miracle stopped? All of these questions are left unaswered and all of these plot holes and contradict everything the show has been trying to establish, not to mention abolish any fond memories you might have gathered. Even the epic final fate of Bill Pullman could not save this train wreck. The nerve to end on a cliffhanger also makes my blood boil. Please, don't watch this. Or if you, skip the finale. Its for your own good.moreless

The show is bad. The "original" version simply needs to be ignored or you may be a fan following it like a groupie to a 85 year old rocker... And that is just sad.

By WilliamKimba, Sep 18, 2011

I wasn't a fan of the original BBC show so I cannot speak towards previous seasons but I can say that this show is almost insulting towards the audience. It is understandable that it is a work of fiction but some level ofplausibilityis required.Don't just write anything and expect the audience to take it because they must! It isn't hard to accept the premise, that something happens leaving the world full of undying people, that is fiction and some fake science that sounds good will surly emerge to explain it; but having said that, simply expecting everything idiotic idea or poorly thought out series of events to be excused isasinine. I am overwhelmed, there are just so many things to write about.

Examples: These people work for the CIA, but yet no one reports to anyone, so who do they work for?!?!? Why would the government need to have CIA agents investigate the "camps" that THEY (the government) put in place? If they are rouge agents then how do they still have money? Why didn't theguardshear the Asian (Chinese?) guy shoot the lock from 30 feet away? Why would you scream for the people holding your father prison to come help you because he is having a heart attack that he cannot die from?What kind of guy was this character running the overflow station supposed to be? he was basically sexually harassing and insulting the person there to inspect him, in case you don't know these things (government inspections) are taken seriously because you can get into a lot of trouble, even jailed, if you are violating mandates. but this cat just goes on like everything is neato and fun, he even has his own personal "Military stooge".

I really wanted to like this show but I have finally given up. It can only offer something in the means of mindless ormind numbingtelevision if you can ignore the annoying writing.

My review is, from a sci-fi fan who was actually looking forward to the show is to stay away. It really has nothing to offer anyone.moreless

Load More Reviews