Watch the Trailer for Amazon's Transparent, Which Now Has an Official Premiere Date (VIDEO)

By Tim Surette

Aug 27, 2014

Amazon is trying to be much more than just an online destination for buying the latest YA book about werewolf vampires; it also wants to help you put a new dent in your couch by adding original TV programming to its endless virtual aisles. So far, the going has been slow (Alpha House? Ehhh...), but that could change with the upcoming dramedy Transparent, which turned heads as part of Amazon's second wave of pilots

The series stars Arrested Development's Jeffrey Tambor and is about... well, I thought we weren't supposed to tell you what it's about because if we did we'd spoil the big secret that's revealed at the end of the pilot, but the trailer pretty much comes right out with it, so I'll let the video do the spoiling for you:

Transparent is by far the best original series that Amazon has put together to date, and it should provide plenty of watercooler-chatter fodder for fans of indie cinema. Tambor is fantastic in it, and the themes of identity, gender, and purpose will be the gas that fuels endless internet thinkpieces from the most academic of online voices. Brace yourselves!

The trailer's release coincides with news of a premiere date: All 10 episodes of Transparent will be be available to stream via Amazon Prime Instant Video in the U.S. and LOVEFiLM in the U.K. on Friday, September 26.

Are you planning to check out Transparent?

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview: 
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

• Comments (11)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • mharris672 Aug 28, 2014

Why is the worst of their new Pilots coming out first (if at all)? I can't wait to see the After and Bosch!

• Sanity_Bleeds Aug 29, 2014

I wouldn't say it was the WORST, but was certainly the most disappointing given the hype surrounding it. I was more surprised by Rebels and Mozart in the Jungle because their premises sounded awful, but their pilots were actually both pretty fun to watch.

• NormaRijker Aug 28, 2014

It's aim is probably to educate the general public about people with gender dysphoria. I think it would have been more interesting for people who don't know a thing about this if the story was focused on a young transitioner who could actually pass as a woman. Anyway, I'll give it a try.

• Eunomiac Aug 28, 2014

Yawn. Less "intelligent exploration of the real borders of social norms", more "hey, we have lesbians and a dude in a dress and we're super serial about it".

• occultmastery Aug 27, 2014

I'm waiting for Mozart in the jungle

• missjudgment Aug 28, 2014

Me too, me too! Is there a premiere date for THAT yet?

• graindesable Aug 27, 2014

Yes ! I'm in !
    The question of identity and gender are very present everywhere : from politics to education. I'm really curious of the message of the show.

• JT_Kirk Aug 27, 2014

I'm using Amazon Prime to listen to free Prime music right now! :-D Also, I don't know how to read, much less read 1 free YA book a month. :-(

And Jeffrey Tambor is the ugliest tranny ever... oh god that's not true, I forgot, living in LA there's actually quite a lot. (Yes I used "tranny" but that's what they often called themselves when I knew them, these sorts of words aren't offensive in themselves, it's the way they're used that's the problem - Black people actually strove to be called "black", hence James Brown's "Say it loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud", if people didn't use "black" as a pejorative then we wouldn't have the ludicrous and inaccurate term "African American".)

• Sanity_Bleeds Aug 29, 2014

LOL about "African American". When I first moved to the Twin Cities, there was a HUGE influx of Somalian, Ethiopian and Sudanese immigrants there, which completely threw off every "black" friend and student I knew as they'd spent most of their lives identifying as "African American" only to now realize, they were significantly more removed from Africa than so much of the local immigrants were.

• miasma Aug 27, 2014

I thought it was the least interesting of the batch of pilots. No interest in watching it and surprised it got the go-ahead.

Oh well.

• mharris672 Aug 28, 2014

Agree... after viewing part of it, this is the worst of the new Amazon shows. I can't wait to see the After and Bosch.