ABC Cancels Trophy Wife, Mixology, The Neighbors, Suburgatory, and Super Fun Night

By Kaitlin Thomas

May 09, 2014

The wise poets Chumbawamba once said, "I get knocked down, but I get up again. You're never gonna keep me down." And that was all fine and good for Chumbawamba, but I don't think they were singing about TV shows (does anyone know what "Tubthumping" was about?), because more often than not, once a TV show is canceled, it's gone forever. 

And thus it is with a heavy heart that I must tell you that the cruel hands of fate at ABC have pulled the plug on freshman comedy Trophy Wife. Series star Marcia Gay Harden tweeted the news late Thursday. Also on the chopping block was Suburgatory, which means if you see Parker Young, please give him a hug. Losing two good gigs in one week is a special kind of sad.

However, as it turns out, the cruel hands of fate at ABC aren't ALL bad, as they've also canceled the freshman comedies Super Fun Night and Mixology.

Mixology actress Frankie Shaw followed Harden's lead and also took to Twitter late Thursday to announce the axing of the bar-set comedy, which will now be dumped after a one-season stand: "Sad day. Love to all you Mixology fans. Keep watching. Great episodes left, esp the finale. xoxoxoxo." 

Finally, the hands of fate also got their, um, hands on The Neighbors. Cast member Toks Olagundoye tweeted the news Friday morning.

These cancellations come on the heels of the network renewing several series, including comedies Modern Family, The Middle, and The Goldbergs, and picking up several new ones, including the Emily Kapnek comedy Selfie.

Which of these cancellations hurts the most?

Check the Status of Your Favorite Shows:
What's Renewed, What's Canceled, and What's Still In Between?

• Comments (134)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • justine514 May 22, 2014

Two of my favorite shows, Trophy Wife, and Mixology canceled? So ridiculous. Major networks wonder why people aren't watching television anymore? Maybe if you would let a show run for more than one season before hacking it, (Don't Trust the B..) you might actually grow a following! Let's all remember how unpopular of a show CHEERS was after it's 1st season. It is still a classic after 25 years. I blame lame, old, out of touch executives who have zero patience and are always looking for the next project to fund and then slash again. Bunch of fools with ADD.

• paigemwoodward May 22, 2014

The actors and the creativity of "Mixology" put the other shows to shame. How many actors do you know that could keep things interesting in the same setting for that many shows? And the "axe" or viewership does nothing to support who would have liked it had they watched or who DID like it. I think people either didn't watch it because of the time slot or it competed with something else they were doing or they didn't see it from the beginning because it wasn't marketed well. Yes, ABC, you MUST market your shows. Not just pop them on one night and expect people to know about them. I always say "no one asked me," so I have to wonder where they get these random samples of viewers anyway. I sure hope these "Mixology" actors get other gigs. They were good.

• CristinaUlvan May 14, 2014

I love Trophy Wife, so I'm very disappointed. Here's hoping that somebody else picks it up!

• alcaniz May 13, 2014

Trophy Wife noooooooo!

• txgirl75 May 13, 2014

I know I don't like hi. It took me a few episodes to get into the show. I will miss it and suburgatory go too. 2 good shows right there.

• elthandiel May 13, 2014

So bummed to see Suburgatory cancelled. But, alas, such is the world of television. Esp on ABC, it seems like they've cancelled many of the sitcoms that I loved...Happy Endings and Apartment 23 come to mind off the top of my head. Maybe it's me that's crazy?

• wpv_bb26 May 13, 2014

super fun night was SO much better and funnier than drop dead diva. stupid networks.

• oracle19 May 12, 2014

Also, is anyone really surprised that Mixology got the axe? It had potential at times, but I just didn't see how the premise would be plausible for additional seasons.

• oracle19 May 12, 2014

Trophy Wife was hit or miss (but usually somewhere in between), but the sad part is that worse shows *cough*MindyProject*cough* actually got renewed.

• crazedtvhead91 May 12, 2014

That's it!! That. Is. It. I turned the other cheek when ABC cancelled Don't trust the B, I shook my fists in outrage when they cancelled Happy Endings, but this is the final straw. I am done with ABC comedies.

• zsandmann May 12, 2014

The Goldbergs sucks so badly. Neighbors was 100% more funny.

• See More Comments (101)