HBO Slaps Premiere Dates on the Final Season of True Blood and New Drama The Leftovers

By Kaitlin Thomas

Apr 03, 2014

When we last saw HBO's True Blood, Eric Northman's manly bits were in serious danger of becoming bacon. The Swedish vampire with the body of a Greek god burst into flames atop a mountain, where he was reading in the nude. You know, as you sometimes do. If you've been spending the show's hiatus worried about Eric and his business, rest easy because not only will Alexander Skarsgård return for the upcoming seventh and final season, but now we know when that will be: Sunday, June 22 at 9pm. The network has even released a new teaser to accompany the premiere date, which features the Bon Temps cemetery and the tombstones of many people we've lost along the way. Check it out!

Leading out of True Blood this season will The Leftovers from Lost co-creator and former Fancy Feast Twitter enthusiast Damon Lindelof. The drama about the Rapture—or what people think might've been the Rapture—will debut Sunday, June 15 at 10pm immediately following the Season 4 finale of Game of Thrones. Adapted from the novel by Tom Perrotta, The Leftovers begins three years after two percent of the world's population disappears without explanation, and follows the rest of the world as everyone struggles to figure out WTF happened. The cast features plenty of familiar faces: You'll recognize Justin Theroux (Mr. Jennifer Aniston, Six Feet Under), Amy Brenneman (Private Practice), Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who), Liv Tyler (multiple Aerosmith videos and Lord of the Rings), and super hunks Charlie and Max Carver (Teen Wolf). And if you want to get an early look at the series, keep an eye on HBO a few minutes before this Sunday's Game of Thrones premiere to see the first teaser.

Are you ready for one more round of True Blood? Does The Leftovers sound interesting to you?

• Comments (38)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • jj8321 Apr 06, 2014

yes and yes

• gizma1982 Apr 04, 2014

What a great teaser ! I'll really miss True Blood... or just Eric Northman ? :P

• Genesistt Apr 04, 2014

I'll check it out. It sounds interesting. Plus it has my Twunks in it! I will miss them on Teen Wolf, but maybe they'll be as shirtless in this as they were in that.

• ElisaDiaz Apr 04, 2014

Cool news! Both of them!

• ludoTV Apr 04, 2014

I'll check out The Leftovers because it could be a great show (definitely high concept ambitions) but True Blood, no thanks, that show has been painful to watch since at least mid-season 4 and I bet Season 7 will be totally awful. I have no insider knowledge, just logical deduction from the decaying trend in quality of both writing and, at times, acting...

• gothceltgirl Apr 04, 2014

I may even go to the HBO shop and pick up some Tru Blood to drink for the premiere. Woo Hoo! I'm so excited, I want to freak out!

• gothceltgirl Apr 04, 2014

Cool teaser! I can't wait, but I'm also apprehensive. I hope it's really great! TB is my favorite show. The Leftovers looks interesting as well.

• MintberryCrunch Apr 04, 2014

I don't expect much from teasers but I think this is one of the better ones out there. A nice little reminder of the "major" deaths and then the last shot of True Blood's own future grave, an appropriate and fitting acknowledgement that it's all led to this season.

Let's hope that the writers have a consistent plan for the season, culminating in a fitting ending.

We do not need crazy randomness finished with some generic mass showdown finale which makes no sense and leaves Sookie as a lumberjack staring forever onwards over her meagre cabin dining table.

• Anonymous_A Apr 03, 2014

Never watched True Blood before but I'm looking forward to The Leftovers. Especially with Chris Zylka in it, I can feel nostalgic about the TSC days.

• scyfymum2 Apr 03, 2014

Leftovers If it gets too lost I will be tuning out also if Amy brenneman plays ANOTHER neurotic character that will turn me off definetly! Otherwise I think its time true blood ended.

• See More Comments (12)