True Blood's Latest Casting News Reveals Eric's Fate

By Kaitlin Thomas

Aug 20, 2013

The biggest news—full-frontal nudity aside—to come out of True Blood's Season 6 finale on Sunday was that Alexander Skarsgard's Eric Northman might have perished. But we can all breathe a deep sigh of relief now, because executive producer Brian Buckner has confirmed to TV Line that Skarsgard will definitely be back for Season 7. Whew.

Now, what was that about full-frontal nudity? In case you gave up on True Blood years ago (and no one would blame you for that), or if you somehow missed the internet explosion over Eric Northman's wiener, Skarsgard did in fact go full-frontal for the final scene in which he was lounging nude on a mountaintop in Sweden—as you do—when Warlow's blood evaporated from his system and he burst into flames. Naturally, Buckner didn't go into detail about how Eric could possibly have survived that Alpine barbecue, but this is the same series that once devoted an entire season to stories about town-wide orgies, so I'm sure the creative team will come up with something.

Anyway, if you're wondering how the hell the writers convinced Skarsgard to bare it all, according to Buckner, he was all for it. Gotta love that man's, ahem, balls.

thekaitling:list:does-skarsgard-returning-make-you-more-inclined-to-watch-season-7/

And while you're here, why not share your own theories as to how Eric survived in the comments?

• Comments (100)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • heather52788 Apr 13, 2014

I love this show! My theory about how Erik survived: Pam was very close when they lost their abilty to stand the sun. Because Pam is so much younger than Erik, she would've been able to stand the heat for a few seconds longer. She swooped in when she heard his screams, and grabbed him and burried them both underground.

• mazzafacker Aug 22, 2013

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! how much more can ya get from this fantasy! its awesome!! just when ya think someones dead, hes alive and well the next season!! no im not being a smart ass!! i absolutely love this show!! i couldnt have asked for a better way for my sunday nites to end! you just cant kill off a great character like eric!! then lets kill sookie if thats the case!! hes one of the top five important characters on the show! but who cares how erics gonna come back next season! hes comin back! face it! love em or hate em! if there were a character or two id kill of, it wouldnt be bill, eric, jason, sookie, or even hell, lafayette, just becuz he gives that show a certain laff i need! someone like, alcide or sam! 2 characters that bug my ass!! mind you, there were a couple of episodes i coulda voted to have sookie her taken off the show!! especially the "danger whore" episode, even warlow i wanted done at that moment! im really looking foraward how the new threat will take in bon temps next season!

• Ca3naki Aug 21, 2013

Maybe he was reborn from his ashes, like a pheonix :P

• haleydillon Aug 21, 2013

I agree that "series regular" doesn't necessarily mean that Eric is alive and well. Buckner's comment about "behind the scenes reasons" implies that Alex Skarsgard might be doing a movie that conflicts with the shooting schedule, and they've filmed some flashbacks as a workaround while we wonder what happened for 4-5 episodes next summer?

I'm so glad he'll still be on the show, but I just don't buy that showrunner would give away the cliffhanger of a hit show 24 hours after the finale unless the HBO suits really got nervous from all the "If he's gone, I'm done" proclamations on the internets.

• Ca3naki Aug 21, 2013

Maybe he'll dig himself into the snow. Or Pam will. Or she'll create an amvulance that will cover him up. And her for that matter.

• pbblair1 Aug 22, 2013

I also thought of the snow thing! Seems reasonable..

• germanpsychlady Aug 21, 2013

Well! Glad to hear that Eric will be back, but still worried HOW (ghost, flashbacks, just for one episode that shows us how he actually dies....).

Random thoughts about the Eric-issue: Willa didn't act like he died (yet), she would feel it. How could Pam save him like some of you are suggesting - she'll burn in the sun, too. But maybe she sacrifices herself (another worse case how this situation could be solved). Don't know, we'll see.

• Noor Aug 21, 2013

A powerful witch appear with her/his own agenda!

• ludoTV Aug 21, 2013

To be fair Buckner has already clarified he never said that Eric was alive. He said Eric will be back as a Season Regular (doublespeak for not very much just enough to tease viewers). We've had Godric, Gran... etc. back after they died so... Eric's bodily situation in Season 7 stays open for now but hey, a whole year to speculate... priceless!

• ionee24 Aug 22, 2013

Eric did tell Jason to dream nice things. And there's always Pam's flashbacks to count on.

• safibwana Aug 21, 2013

He doesn't need to be a ghost or vision to be a regular. If I recall correctly, a regular just means his name is in the credits, not that he necessarily appears on screen. Skarsgard could take half the season off to do a movie while Eric's charred body recovered, then be back full time for the second half of the season.

• ludoTV Aug 22, 2013

You are 100% right. Anything is possible... I was merely pointing out that the vague language they have used and their previous use of ghostly forms / dreamy forms etc. means Eric could return with a less solid body (though equally enjoyable for the viewer)

• LordReiden Aug 21, 2013

This comment has been removed.

• angelpix24 Aug 21, 2013

Ok.. Swedish barbecue.. His swedish meatballs barbecued :)

• thechosenonecj Aug 21, 2013

Surely he's just going to dig down under the snow?

• MunirRahool Aug 21, 2013

Same thought I had the moment they show him out on the snow-bathing.

• MandySCG Aug 21, 2013

That's my guess, too.

• See More Comments (37)