True Detective "Haunted Houses" Review: Partners 'n Crime

By Tim Surette

Feb 24, 2014

True Detective S01E06: "Haunted Houses"

Ha, these two guys. So great. The above two images just about sum up "Haunted Houses," an episode that was light on all the heavy case work that Hart and Cohle have been doing, and heavy on all the interpersonal drama that Hart and Cohle have been brewing. And you know what? I think it came at a good time, because I lost about 15 years of my life between watching the last two intense and dark episodes, so "Haunted House" gave us some time to catch our breath and served as the beginning of the season's final act. 

But True Detective's idea of cooling it was infidelity, trust issues erupting into revenge sex, convincing someone to kill themself, and a brutal fistfight in a parking lot. "Haunted Houses" may not have had the twists that would snap "The Secret Fate of All Life" into pieces or the visceral grit that would break "Who Goes There?" into a nightmarish sweat, but it featured the defining moment of Hart and Cohle's relationship and the awesome (SO awesome!) possibility that their relationship isn't as over as we all thought. 

I have the following written in my notes of the episode: "Maybe Cohle is the Devil." And I mean that in the nicest and least literal way possible. I typed that out right after Cohle uttered my favorite line of his so far in the series, which is saying a lot, and the one that shook my bones. While talking to Charmaine Budroux (spelling?), a woman in police custody for the mysterious death of her third child, Cohle reached down into her throat and pulled a confession out of her. Munchausen by proxy, he said, and got her to confess to the murder of her child using that soothing voice that told her everything would be alright. His job as the box man done, he got serious and gave her personal advice. "The newspapers are going to be tough on you," he admitted to her. "And prison is very, very hard on people who hurt kids." And without a skipping a beat and in the most sincere way, he said, "If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself." Oof. And then he walked out the door. 

Cohle loves to ramble on about time being a flat circle, with all of our multiple lives doomed to repeat our actions, especially the bad ones. But maybe, as we've seen in Hart, repetition is not limited to these different planes of existence, and a bad man once in this lifetime will be a bad man forever in this lifetime. Hart was beating up young men who encroached on his territory and he strayed from his marriage with another young woman again. And after finishing the physical treason of Maggie with Beth–who I believe was the same underage young girl he tried to save seven years ago at the prostitution ranch–he peered over to see three figurines: a crystal see-through angel, a cartoonish devil, and the other half of the set in a cartoonish angel. But the way the camera lingers on them, it's the devil that stands out as it's the only one in clear focus. Cohle might not be the Devil, but he could be in cahoots with him.

Finding proof of Hart's infidelity with some new hot young ass (What is it with Hart and these young women? What do they see in him?), Maggie tried but couldn't exact revenge with a stranger, so instead she went straight to the person who would hurt Hart the most: Cohle. It's undeniable marriage sabotage by Maggie who admits it as such, and, if we're being honest, well within her bounds given what she's endured from that hypocrite Hart. But it's bringing carnage to Cohle's life, too, as he's Hart's partner. And then Maggie had her "I fucked Ted" Breaking Bad moment when she happily told Hart that she revenge-banged Cohle, and she was right, Hart was not happy about that at all. 

It erupted in that excellent parking-lot brawl between Hart and Cohle that has been a long time coming, and answered the question of what the incident was that ripped these two hotheads apart in 2002. Cohle mowed another man's lawn after the lawn conned him into doing it because Hart took his mower to other lawns. It probably wasn't too difficult to figure out that this would be the undoing of Hart and Cohle, especially since Cohle came by to Maggie's all hot and sweaty and drinking lemonade that time a ways back. But watching it unfold was rough. 

And the timing of the whole punchy powwow in the series couldn't be more perfect. True Detective is playing with time in the best way possible. Important details are being trumped by new important details so the series never slumps. All these flashbacks never felt like flashbacks; they felt like real time. We've always watched the events of 2012–the interviews with detectives Gilbough and Papania–as if they were the end, and the story moving forward were the events of 1995. But now the 1995 story is over, only to be replaced by the events of 2002. And now it looks like we're done with 2002, and suddenly 2012 is moving forward. Hart, sick of the line of questioning from Gilbough and Papania, took his receding hairline and bare left ring finger out of the police department in a huff and was stopped by Cohle, and now we have a brand-new ball game. It seems obvious now that 2012 Hart and Cohle might meet up again, but lost in the details of 1995 and 2002 and with the two as far apart as they ever have been, my expectations were minimal while my hopes were highest. 

There are only two episodes left of True Detective's close-ended first season and the final bookend has been knocked over with the possibilities wide open. The two could go on to solve the case of the Yellow King. They could both be suspects. They could just have that beer Cohle wants. We gleefully and willingly know nothing except what came before. We know they had bad times, then good times, then worst times, and all of a sudden, Cohle materializes out of the horizon after a decade, his truck still wearing the scars of their parking lot disagreement. Hart spoke of Cohle with respect and near-reverance with Gilbough and Papania, as though what was in the past was in the past. And we've seen them work together and put aside their differences. But after all they've been through, especially after Cohle's brief affair with Maggie, how much does Hart really respect Cohle now? Enough to make sure his gun is loaded for that drink they're getting. Another outstanding episode of True Detective

CASE NOTES

– Maybe I missed something, but I don't know if we got any big clues into the case. Signs appear to point to Billy Lee Tuttle as the Yellow King, or at least as a man involved in everything. And Kelly, who was the girl who Hart and Cohle rescued from Reggie Ledoux's den of death, would only say that a third man was tall and had scars on his face. Then she wigged out.

– I guess I should also add that I don't care that the case didn't move forward that much in the episode.

– Cohle: "I'm the person least in need of counseling in this entire fucking state." This is a statement that is both very true and very false. 

– Cohle: "I quit. Fuck this. Fuck this world. Nice hook, Marty." HAHA. I love this guy. 

– Cohle: "WE're in a muddy swamp here, man, the alligators are swimming around us and we don't even know they're there, you know why? We don't see 'em." Hart: "I caught zero logic in all that that, and that last big? Gibberish." HAHAHA I love these guys. 

– Marty the human tampon. Several ways to interpret that, I guess. 

– I haven't gotten into the literary significance of Robert W. Chambers' "The King in Yellow" because a) I haven't read it and me talking about it would be like me talking about the mathematics of quantum neutrino fields, and b) I don't think it's required reading to enjoy True Detective. But if you are interested in the relationship between the book and True Detective, this is the article you should read.

• Comments (166)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • sangbaran Feb 28, 2014

True Detective continues to astound me!!!
    Such an intense if less than dark episode.

• Atreukjm Feb 27, 2014

One(of many) thing I find intriguing is if Cohle and Martys relationship ended the way it did there in 2002 why is Marty Lying for and pointing out how much he respects Cohle in the interview in 2012? The only thing that makes sense to me is that the have interacted since then and Marty at least have some idea of what Cohle's been up to since.
    Marty just doesn't seem to be the guy who lets bygones be bygones and just decides to forget about how there relationship ended.

What do you guys think?

• geoffmaze Feb 28, 2014

By this point Marty had to have moved on about Maggie. She probably even admitted why she did it with Cohle anyway. 10 years is a long time and the bond these guys formed working the case don't get trashed easily. Marty throws Cohle under the bus he's got plenty to answer for himself.

• TimSpot Mar 01, 2014

Yep, a lot of his good will towards Cohle comes from protecting his own ass, methinks.

• dagrimmreepa Feb 28, 2014

Marty will forever owe Cohle for covering up he double murder of those Nazi dudes. Regardless of what happened between them personally, they're both in too deep to ever throw one another under the bus. Gotta keep up appearances.

• antmorris3511 Feb 27, 2014

Calling Cohle's integrity into question, indirectly calls Marty's integrity into question. So Marty, can't admit to having knowledge of any indiscretion on Cohle's part, even if he hates Cohle's guts, because Cohle 'held him down' and 'backed his play' (no questions asked) when Marty killed Reggie Ledoux. Women come and go but often two friends have a strong enough bond that it cannot be permanently destroyed by playing one against the other. Cohle let him know it was nothing personal, he had been drinking and was vulnerable when Maggie seduced of him. Marty has already showed a bit of contrition. He has come to accept the role he played in destroying his own marriage: constant lying and repeated infidelity.

• geoffmaze Feb 26, 2014

Is it Sunday yet?

• AndreaMcCooey Feb 26, 2014

Each episode is not long enough

• antmorris3511 Feb 26, 2014

Does anyone think its weird that the two detectives looking at Cohle are both black? That must be something symbolic. Cohle called them 'company men', but he seemed to use that term to refer to men who are puppets of the brass or maybe part of a greater conspiracy. I dont know if he really looks at them that way or if he's being deliberately misleading? Or maybe those guys are black to help contextualize the timeline, showing that the department became more integrated since the story began. Another weird thing is the way they overemphasized Cohle's broken tail light, as if thats gonna come back into focus later on. I guess we're supposed to ignore it for now as something that happened when they were fighting.

• Atreukjm Feb 27, 2014

Doesn't "company men" usually refer to people working for the CIA?

• antmorris3511 Feb 27, 2014

there aint no cia involvement here

• Garyness Feb 26, 2014

I think it was just to contextualize the timeline as you said. When present-day Cohle walks out of the room he was interrogated in, you can see quite a few black cops. It would be a nice twist if the two cops were also in on it or something though.

• antmorris3511 Feb 26, 2014

I agree. One thing I will say is this is one of the most unpredictable shows I've seen in a while. The last one was "The Shadow Line".

• ILoveTVandDDsBB Feb 26, 2014

Marty is one lucky mofo and isn't that Lizzie from TWD lol

• Atreukjm Feb 27, 2014

No it's Lili Simmons, you might recognize her as Rebecca from Banshee.

• ILoveTVandDDsBB Mar 01, 2014

sorry I shoud've been more clear I meant Marty's younger daughter

• TimSpot Mar 01, 2014

Yep, that's everyone's favorite teen psycho Lizzie!

• andreweather Feb 26, 2014

So the chick Marty banged, the actress is off Banshee isn't she? I was wracking my brains trying to work out who it was the entire episode but it just came to me.

• Uncle-Bryn Feb 26, 2014

True Detective is the quickest passing hour (minus commercials) of all TV land. Its like I'm in a trance.

• geoffmaze Feb 28, 2014

Impressive stuff. It's a full hour sans commercials...It's movie level good.

• Uncle-Bryn Mar 03, 2014

Thats what I tell everyone I recommend this to; Its like a movie every week. To some extent I think movies are doomed....

• MediumIsTheMessage Feb 25, 2014

I have difficulty resolving the vitriol of some over Maggie's choice.. she too is part of the "flawed universe" (Beth) and falls prey to the "tragic misstep" of consciousness (Cohle). A lot of articles are talking of one of the darker themes of women's/children's positions in the TD world and the products that men/society become - For me this is further reinforced by putting Marty in his "trophy" room when he's on the phone with Lisa after finding the note/suitcases. He treats women as something to be hung up, put on a shelf and bragged about... like the objects in his trophy room. A lot of themes/situations in the series would support this, I think... add to the list!!

• alyxkay Feb 25, 2014

Also, this stole the episode for me:
    Cohle: "I quit. Fuck this. Fuck this world. Nice hook, Marty."

Can't tell if we're supposed to fall in love with Cohle or not, but that's the rabbithole I'm going down.

• See More Comments (55)