News Briefs: True Detective's Creator Says You Know Nothing About Season 2

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jun 14, 2014

TRUE DETECTIVE 2: TRUE-R DETECTIVES NEWS

... True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto says there is absolutely zero truth to any of the casting rumors that've circulated regarded the series' season (which means there's still time to pitch your ideas on Twitter!). Of course, he might just be saying that because HBO still hasn't announced a second season, even though he's apparently written two scripts, has a setting all picked out, and hopes to begin filming in the fall. However, you shouldn't expect the series to run forever, because Pizzolatto also says that "I can’t imagine I would do this more than three years." Maybe he should call up the Pretty Little Liars of ABC Family and tell them what's up. [Calgary Herald]

BUSINESS TIME

... Nikki Finke is back, y'all, and she's breaking news and non-competes. According to her new site, Cameron Crowe (Almost Famous) is making his first foray into television with a new comedy series tentatively titled Roadies, which follows a rock tour across the U.S. [Nikki Finke]

... ABC Family is boldly going where many people, including Ashton Kutcher, have gone before. No, not Mila Kunis's... pants. We're talking a hidden-camera prank show! Freak Out will feature a lot of jerks who can't wait to scare their friends and family on national television. They'll supply the Freak Out team with vital information on what gives the unsuspecting marks' the heebie jeebies, and then said marks will presumably poop their pants for the world to see. Look for it to air during the network's annual "13 Days of Halloween" event. [ABC Family via press release]

... Get excited for the world premiere of Girl Meets World on Disney on June 27 at 9:45pm by tuning in to a completely different channel to watch a completely different show at a completely different time! ABC Family will air Boy Meets World mini-marathons Monday through Friday from 7pm to  8:30pm all summer long. [Disney via press release]

... Amazon has ordered Point of Honor, a new pilot about a divided Virginia family that takes place just prior to the Civil Warzzzzzzz. Sorry, I fell asleep. Lost's/Bates Motel's/The Strain's Carlton Cuse is producing, which means Greg Berlanti must have recently given Cuse access to his cloning machine. [Variety]

... Phineas and Ferb's upcoming Star Wars special will air on July 26 at 9pm, featuring characters like Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader as Phineas and Ferb are forced to save the galaxy. [Disney via press release]

... Not content to languish in late-'90s pop-culture obscurity until the end of time, the Teletubbies are making a comeback on the BBC. The original show aired from 1997 until 2001, when the drugs the dudes who created the show were taking finally wore off. I guess it's time to stock up on more, though—at least for those of you across the pond—because 60 new episodes will air on CBeebies. There are currently no plans to air the new show in the U.S. [BBC]

... Funny lady Kathy Griffin has been tapped to host the Daytime Emmy Awards, which will take place Sunday, June 22 and can be viewed online at www.daytimeemmys.net. With soap operas on the decline—and soap operas making up the bulk of the Daytime Emmy nominations—the ceremony will not be broadcast on television as it was in previous years. That absence of sound you hear is literally no one caring about the Daytime Emmy Awards. [TV Guide]

... Remember how you were all, "God, I wish TLC would hurry up and announce a premiere date for Leah Remini's new reality show?!" No? Yeah, I don't remember that either, but nevertheless, the network has scheduled the debut of Leah Remini: It's All Relative. Look for it on Thursday, July 10 at 10pm with an episode about... SCIENTOLOGY! [TLC via press release]

... Alex Trebek is now in the Guinness Book of World Records, under "Most Game Show Episodes Hosted by the Same Presenter (One Show)." He's now helmed 6,829 episodes of Jeopardy!. Big whoop. Call me when he does something worthwhile, like organize the world's largest media scavenger hunt. [Sony via press release]

... You might not be aware of this because you're busy binge-watching Orange Is the New Black, but there's this crazy phenomenon known as the World Cup happening right now. Apparently it involves kicking a ball and screaming and stuff. I don't know, I haven't done any physical activity since 2001. But lots of people have been watching! ESPN and Univision have both scored record ratings thanks thanks to the World Cup games. [Deadline]

CASTING NEWS

... Michelle Forbes, who you may know from True Blood and The Killing and who's currently guest-starring on Orphan Black, has signed on to star in A&E's upcoming adaptation of The Returned. She'll play one of the "returnees," a woman by the name of Helen Goddard. She joins Jeremy Sisto, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Mark Pellegrino, and Kevin Alejandro in the cast. [Variety]

... Season 2 of Orange Is the New Black only hit Netflix a week ago, but the prison drama is already filming Season 3 and making casting announcements/adjustments. Dascha Polanco, who plays pregnant inmate Dayanara Diaz, has been upped to a series regular, while Mary Steenburgen broke the news on Twitter (and then deleted the tweet) that she has joined the cast. [Deadline / TV Line]

... Ed Asner (The Mary Tyler Moore Show) and Marion Ross (Happy Days) have signed on to guest-star on ABC Family's new drama Chasing Life. They'll play the grandparents of Italia Ricci's April Carver, a twenty-something journalist who recently discovered she has terminal cancer. As far as we know, April has not asked any former students to cook meth with her. [THR]

... Jennifer Grey (Dirty Dancing) will star in the Amazon pilot Red Oaks, a new comedy about a young assistant tennis pro at the predominantly Jewish Red Oaks country club in New Jersey. Grey will play the guy's mother. [Deadline]

REQUIRED READING

... Vulture did a lot of math to figure out how well your favorite TV shows did in the ratings this season compared to last season, and I have to be honest, unless your favorite TV shows involve people with the last name of Winchester, they're probably not doing so hot! But hey, you go, Supernatural. [Vulture]

... Some researchers at Stanford with excellent taste in television shows and plenty of ample time on their hands (heh) have done the math on the epic dick joke from the Silicon Valley finale, and they found that it actually works. Congrats to those guys! Let's give 'em a hand! [Gizmodo]

RECENT LINKS YOU MAY HAVE MISSED ON TV.COM

... Sarah Paulson tweeted a first look at her new American Horror Story character(s), and boy is it freaky!

... Fox has canceled I Wanna Marry Harry (and Riot), thus restoring our faith in humanity.

... The TV.com staff chose our dream Emmy nominees for Supporting Actor in a Comedy, and there's not a single person from Modern Family in sight. 

... Tim wants to know: What are the best types of shows to binge-watch

• Comments (18)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Kerkesh Jun 14, 2014

Stanford, very cool.

• dashheadlong Jun 14, 2014

So people have just stopped watching network television, huh? All of my favorite shows seem to have slipped, but I chalk that up to network television just having lost that coolness factor. I guarantee if Hannibal were on AMC or HBO, it wouldn't be down 39% year over year.

You can bet this is not the sort of graph network execs want to see right now.

• MarlboroMagpi Jun 15, 2014

The Good wife, Scandal and Arrow are three examples of network shows that have high ratings and also usually get good reviews from critics.

I might also add The Blacklist though I do not like it very much.

Then there is always the NCIS and CSI and Chicago fire and police etc...

• dxnlkiguert9o743t098 Jun 14, 2014

Network TV has become lame, ordinary and too predictable. With no boobs, no expressive language and limited violence they cannot compete with cable making adult concept shows that actually delivery ADULT content!

• vicbjones Jun 14, 2014

Who cares? You're either watching a show or you're not. What are you going to do about it? Resolve to watch your favorite shows within a day? Badger friends or followers on social media? Start a hash tag campaign?

• vicbjones Jun 14, 2014

This comment has been removed.

• ionee24 Jun 14, 2014

Game of Thrones viewers says: you know nothing about messing with iconic one-liners in the middle of my grieving process!

• ben45tpy Jun 14, 2014

At least you can keep dreaming about Brieme.

• ionee24 Jun 14, 2014

She doesn't have a one-liner as awesome as Ygritte's.

...plus, it would be redundant: Jaime does know nothing (and Renly was even more clueless!)

• ionee24 Jun 14, 2014

She doesn't have a one-liner as awesome as Ygritte

...plus, it would be redundant: Jaime does know nothing (an Renly was even more clueless!).

• TeddyBearZA Jun 14, 2014

"there's not a single person from Modern Family in sight."
    You have restored my faith in humanity.

• ElisaDiaz Jun 14, 2014

wow, I looked at that chart... and Revolution seems to have done an awful thing re-booting itself!

• DSniner Jun 14, 2014

I guess I'm one of those people caught up with soccer fever!Hey,it's in my people's blood.Glad it's doing well in the ratings.

• Kerkesh Jun 14, 2014

I'm all for it as long as Germany wins the Cup.
    Deutschland Uber Alles!!!!!!!!!!!!

• klotensen Jun 14, 2014

YAY! Football!

• Sanity_Bleeds Jun 14, 2014

"Congrats to those guys! Let's give 'em a hand!" - Oh come on; low hanging fruit much???

• Uma Jun 14, 2014

I know people really love Michelle Forbes but she puts me off completely, don't care for her tone of voice and the inflection she uses while speaking. I watched the French version and was looking forward to the American re-make but I think I'll pass if she plays a big role.

• safibwana Jun 14, 2014

It's not that as bad as all that, 5 of the shows I watch did better, 1 stayed the same.

• Akyriel Jun 14, 2014

Mary Steenburgen must be working through issues since she seems to be playing bad girls lately.

So, literally, the top 10 shows did better, 6 stayed the same, and about 63 tanked from one degree to the next. Surprised American Dad did better than you might think.