AMC Renews Turn for Season 2 Even Though It's Only Doing So-so

By Tim Surette

Jun 23, 2014

Powder that wig and sharpen those wooden teeth because the Revolutionary War isn't over at AMC. The network today announced that it has renewed its period drama Turn for a second season, asking for 10 more episodes to air in the spring of 2015. 

Turn follows "America's first spy ring," a group of farmers who helped turn the tide in America's Revolutionary War against the British pig-dogs. The series stars Jaime Bell, Seth Numrich, and Daniel Henshall. 

Turn was far from a hit, both in ratings and in cool-kid chatter, for AMC. I only know one person who still watches it (hi Pat!), and the Season 1 finale was watched by just 1.6 million people (that number jumped to 2.2 million after DVR views were recorded). 

But AMC, once mighty and haughty with its trio of Mad MenBreaking Bad, and The Walking Dead, has slipped in recent seasons and is having trouble launching new series. The network's most recent new show, Halt and Catch Fire, drew only 1.19 million viewers for its premiere. By comparison, Turn was met by 2.12 million viewers when it debuted. This is more of a war of attrition for AMC, with Turn the benefactor of a lineup that can't put new shows on the front line. "Low Winter Sun, Halt and Catch Fire, take the front!" "But sir, they're already dead." "Very well then, Turn, you're up!" 

I watched the pilot episode but never felt compelled to go back to the series. However, I heard the season finale was great, so I might give it another go. Are you excited AMC is bringing back Turn

• Comments (76)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • suzannedonleypagano Nov 08, 2014

Ok let's get the pet peeve out of the way...like "there's no crying in baseball" there are no wooden teeth in any part of the revolutionary war before or after.
    I enjoy this show and am glad it is returning. A little tweaking here and there it could b a hit. Not on the scale of breaking bad, but like with Lost, many producers and directors will attempt to create a hit just as worthy. This one will just be interesting entertainment for the masses (but the masses need to tune in!!!)

• mikecraig73932 Oct 31, 2014

Maybe AMC would do better with a show about when us "British pig - dogs" came back and spanked and humiliated Americans vengefully in 1812-14!

• AmHist Dec 08, 2014

Hey British pig dog, maybe you should brush up on your history. Have you heard the phrase? "lost the battle but won the war" We destroyed you! You lost! We won!
    When was the last time you heard someone say about a sporting event, "we lost the game but we scored more points than you in the second period.
    But I guess if that's all you have to be proud of go ahead.

• navysk8er Oct 30, 2014

Good, I loved this show, I think it is much better than the Walking Dead, and I hope enough people start enjoying it to keep it going. Showed the show to my brother in law and sister and they started enjoying it too.

• ahapple1 Oct 23, 2014

Very much so! Great show!

• jnbbright Oct 02, 2014

Absolutely! this show is excellent. It has plenty of action, and very well written characters .It is to me anyway, extremely important to have shows that accurately portray our American history. Look, I know this doesn't have zombies, drugs, vulgar language and nudity, but despite all that, it is still a bad ass show and definitely worth watching!

• bolgajeff6795 Oct 02, 2014

Excellent TV series that is both educational and entertaining. Lots of potential in the global TV market so I hope they get this on Netflix international and perhaps even our local subscription service, HBO Nordic. Looking forward to season 2.

• FionaCrystal Sep 28, 2014

I like the series although I must admit something about it is a bit bland. Nonetheless I am glad that there's going to be a 2nd season! I hope the actors will grow into their characters a bit more, or maybe it's the script they get. If there'd be a tad more passion, it would be better and probably get much better ratings.

• FlipORican Sep 24, 2014

I think if AMC pairs their shows up, then it will draw the audience. I really like TURN, especially the season finale. I love HELL ON WHEELS and pairing TURN with HELL ON WHEELS caused me to watch TURN again. Two drama set in two different American historical events (i.e. The Railroad and The Revolutionary War) works. What I think AMC should do is when the new season of TURN comes on just pair it with repeating the last season of HELL ON WHEELS and vice-verse. It would bring fans of HELL ON WHEELS to TURN and fans of TURN to HELL ON WHEELS.

• Clarissa49 Sep 23, 2014

I suppose more Americans prefer the so-called reality shows. It is a shame Americans don't seem to care enough or know enough about their history and heritage. AMC, I hope you keep this show on for those of us with better tastes.

• kentuckywoman2 Sep 22, 2014

I find it hard to believe that this show doesn't have the viewership...it's one of the best shows on TV! Are Americans so "dumbed down" that no one is even interested in the American Revolution? This show brings history to life! What more could one ask for?

• See More Comments (40)