This vs. That: Under the Dome vs. Siberia

By Jen Trolio

Aug 20, 2013

Welcome to the latest round of TV.com's "This vs. That," where we pit two things against one another and you vote on which one should win... in whatever context you choose. Our newest match-up features two shows that, before they premiered earlier this summer, appeared to share little more than some unexplained supernatural phenomena and a Monday-at-10pm timeslot: CBS's much-hyped Stephen King adaptation Under the Dome, and NBC's barely mentioned, faux-reality horror drama Siberia. But here we are a couple months later, and both shows have weird stuff going on in the woods! Both shows have surprised us, if only a little, in terms of how good (or bad) they turned out to be (relative to our expectations, anyway)! Both shows take place in environments where precipitation acts totally wacky! Both shows have a husky bald-headed dude in their cast! 

Anyway, last week, TV.com user Gislef awesomely and very thoughtfully compared the two series using a number of criteria, and his "Which show is better?" verdict was equal parts surprising and... not. But I just couldn't resist the urge to "officially" name one show superior via a trusty, vote-using-whatever-logic-you-like throwdown. And with that, dear readers, I implore you to please weigh in:

Show your work in the comments!

PREVIOUSLY: This vs. That: Friends or Seinfeld?

Ed. note: If there's a specific battle you'd like to see, send it via PM to TVcom_editorial, via Twitter to @tvdotcom, or via email to mailbag@tv.com. (And thanks to those of you who've already submitted ideas!)

• Comments (68)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • yifat1969 Aug 29, 2013

you kidding me?? sibira is SO MUCH better! scarier, creepier, more life-threatening!

• Ralike Aug 23, 2013

I personally like Under the Dome better. im surprised everyone likes siberia all i heard was negative comments about it and i continued to watch both.

• bobsandoval2 Aug 21, 2013

Siberia has become my one "must see" on TV at this time. I love watching it--always looking for those Hitchcock like clues they leave here & there--then discussing with my ever growing group of fellow Siberians. Thanks for the people that created it......I did watch the first 3 episodes of Dome, but found it very lacking. Proof that the best pedigree (King & Spielberg) and tons of money don't always guarantee success...

• RachaelChan Aug 21, 2013

Siberia is amazing! I look forward to new Monday night episodes so much that it actually makes the week feel like it goes by slower.

The character development is so much better than UtD. It's night and day: I love many of the Siberia characters and can't stand all of the UtD characters. The plot development is steady and unfolds mysteries and hints at a great pace. It has a very Lost-like feel to the way the mystery is unraveling. Do yourselves a favor and watch the first five or six episodes of Siberia, and see what you think.

Honestly, I don't know why NBC didn't market this show better. As the comments show, many people have never heard about it, and it's very difficult to find the show on the NBC iphone/ipad app.

Catch up online, On Demand, or on your NBC apps, then jump in and watch it Monday nights at 10 on NBC.

• NeeUyank Aug 21, 2013

having watched both shows for 4 episodes (and quitted Under the Dome afterwards as it was unbearable) I can fairly say Siberia it is.. characters are much more reliable, and the mystery effect is given in a much better way..

• sangbaran Aug 21, 2013

how about Sherlock(BBC) versus Elementary?

• dunlee Aug 21, 2013

Not even a contest. Already know which one will be plebiscited.

• TVcom_editorial Aug 22, 2013

Hehe that doesn't mean we won't do it anyway. ;)

• dunlee Aug 22, 2013

Well I guess it never hurts to show Benedict Cumberbatch some love.

• gem-in-eye Aug 21, 2013

What's Siberia? Should I watch it? Have not heard anything about it from my friends. Hummmmm... I pick Siberia. And seriously, should I be watching this show?????

• madonnamoore Sep 18, 2013

i hope you picked siberia, it was and is awesome!!

• tnetennba Aug 22, 2013

It's certainly watchable so far, but I would recommend that you wait until the remaining five episodes have aired and then ask again.

• tnetennba Sep 18, 2013

Now that the final episode has been aired, I'm ready to give my answer:

Stay the fuck away from this show. It was mildly entertaining (roughly at the level of Under the dome), but it just kept piling mysteries on top of each other that they probably had no intention to ever explain. The finale didn't conclude the story. It didn't even bring us closer to a conclusion. We got partial explanations for the footprint mystery (actually that was in the two episodes before the finale) and the amnesia incident, but we are still completely clueless about all the other mysteries. The finale just introduced more of them.

Note that Siberia has zero chance of renewal, due to its extremely low ratings. The finale had an 18-49 rating of 0.6 and 1.75M total viewers. It would need three times that to have a chance.

• gem-in-eye Sep 20, 2013

So it's horrible and amazing. Sounds like my X girlfriend.

• rcul4u998 Aug 21, 2013

Yes, you should watch it! It is amazing! It starts off a little slow but gets better with each episode!

• MissMunchkin Aug 21, 2013

Siberia is awesome, campy fun. Had to wade through the first couple episodes, but once things started to happen, they really started to happen. The characters are crazy, and the mystery is... Well, really a mystery. Some people are saying that it's predictable? But I honestly have zero idea what is going on, and I kinda love it that way.

• Bottron Aug 21, 2013

I'd say Siberia is the better show because it has a stronger sci-fi feel to it, especially in the last episode. Under the Dome is totally unfocused and all over the place and isn't able to pin down a mood or plot or anything. Both have extreme failings, but beside the facts that it took way too long to stop being the worst reality show and probably won't have a second season, Siberia seems to have way more potential.

• sleepy-sonic Aug 21, 2013

I don't watch either of them currently but I watched the first four episodes of Under the Dome and it was dreadful.

• Indru_mai Aug 21, 2013

UtD gets better, Siberia keeps the same. You be the judge of which is better if you'll watch more of the first.

• See More Comments (29)