CBS Sets Summer Premiere Dates for Under the Dome and Extant; Two Dome Characters Will Die Right Away

By Jen Trolio

Jan 15, 2014

DOME! DOME DOME DOME! Get ready, Domeheads (is that what you call yourselves?), because CBS has just announced a Season 2 premiere date for Under the Dome, its ridiculous summer series that once upon a time was a "limited event" based on the Stephen King novel of the same name and is now returning for a second season of dome sex, weird eggs, and more. Big Jim and the rest of the Chester's Mill gang will be back on Monday, June 30 at 10pm with a premiere written by Stephen King himself, and according to the teaser that we just saw at the Television Critics Association Winter Press Tour, "two Dome favorites" (LOL) won't survive the first episode. Obviously this means we'll be running an Under the Dome Dead Pool before the series returns, but in the meantime, place your early bets in the comments: Who do think will bite it? Who do you think should bite it?

Also coming to the Eye network this summer is Extant, the limited event series (at least for now) from Steven Spielberg that stars Halle Berry as an astronaut who returns home to Earth after spending 13 months alone in space, only to discover that "something came with her." Details on this one have been vague in recent months, but having just seen a first-look teaser (which we'll post as soon as it's available), here are a few tidbits: 

– Halle Berry's character is pregnant with what is obviously going to be an alien baby

– Halle Berry's character has a human husband who's an inventor and a child he built for them who is an android

– Halle Berry's character has bangs

The show promises to combine artificial intelligence with extraterrestrial intelligence. Production begins this February in Los Angeles, and the show will debut Wednesday, July 2 at 9pm.

• Comments (123)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • amitojj May 03, 2014

i have forgotten everyone's name to guess who will die. they were about to hang a guy . there were a few kids . a reporter a dj, that bald guy hank, his mad son , and a lady police officer. i dont care if they alll die. noone is my favourite

• BereniceAndrea Jan 17, 2014

ive missed all the under the dome posts. GOOD LORD, I'VE MISSED THIS.

• MightyMad Jan 16, 2014

... Why only two characters?

• neJANIS Jan 16, 2014

While Under The Dome was entertaining for obvious reasons (see dumb plot, stupid characters and terrible actors) it just makes me sad that this crap got second season, while show that nobody knows (see Siberia) was left with no promotion, bad ratings and huge clifhanger while it was actually miles better than this.

• RachaelChan Jan 16, 2014

Agree wholeheartedly. Every time I see the name "Under the Dome" I cringe. Whereas Siberia had some problems, it was better on every level.

• JosephCecil Jan 16, 2014

Hopefully every week two characters die until only two remain, and they must fight to the death to survive.

UNDER THE THUNDERDOME!!!

• JetixMasterDan Jan 16, 2014

If I were a betting man, which I'm not, I would go with Officer Linda and one of the kids as being those that will be eliminated first.

• akyag Jan 16, 2014

Dome was the best comedy out there and a good exercise for the eyes.. (rolling eyes of course).. PS- Don't kill officer moron I tell you.. you will loose half the viewers right there... :D :D

• Acrobit Jan 16, 2014

Ehh, no clue who's gonna bite it. I'd love for it to be the dome so it could crash down and kill every person under it. Yeah, so maaaybe Bald Chick and Idiot in Beanie. If they kill that guy for me, I'll at least give them another four weeks.

"Duude, Baby Dome's hurtin' mah earballs..."

It can't be Big Jim unless they're about to start a Town v Gov't arc (though they should kill him just to save the actor from himself), and Big Jim would honestly work better in that arc so they could redeem him--nvm. Dunno why I'm talking about this show as if it needed to make any sense.

More importantly, why are we still pretending Stephen King makes good things on television? He does not translate well.

• olafweyer Jan 16, 2014

My guess is Big Jim will die because this show isn't really a step up in the actors career (imagine he would be a regular on Chicago Fire, wew!). As for the other characters, no other death will have an impact on the show, so who cares.

Stephen King writing the pilot? Nice marketing gag.

• smithinjapan Jan 16, 2014

There are no Dome 'favorites', I'd say, aside from Hank -- or Big Jim (such a step down!). Stephen King adaptions can be so utterly horrible at times, but in a way I'm glad to hear that he's scripting the first episode. Not sure if that will make it better or worse, but will make it more genuine. My guess is the already horrible dialogue will suffer some, but hey.

• See More Comments (63)