Unholy Alliance

Good
7.9

Unholy Alliance

By TrueTvWatcher, Nov 18, 2011

Unholy Alliance was a perfect episode of V and had a lot of interesting plot and character development. It was cool to see how Ryan is playing Anna, yet keeping this from his fellow fifth column. Tyler is starting to be an annoying character in the way Dawn was in Buffy the Vampire Slayer though I think he is an important character of the series. It was really awesome to see Anna take on the Roman Catholic Church and strong arm them into seeing things her way. Anna discovered an old sleeper agent sent by her mother Diana, and reunites the two, however Diana surprises by killing him. Jack and the gang meet Eli and come up with a plan. The last scene was unexpected and left me wanting more. I look forward to watching more episodes!!!!!!!moreless

By thefanof, Nov 18, 2011

Terrible. I say this as someone who has wanted this show to succeed, hoping it would pave the way for broadcast networks to take more chances with sci-fi shows, but this was just a bad episode of V. It was all over the place, there was little to no action, too much religious propaganda, and just mediocre writing all the way around. The idea of Anna not being the legitimate queen in the minds of followers is a huge mistake, but leave it to V to ruin the one good thing about this show on a consistent basis.

Not a good episode tonight.moreless

Still missing the human factor

By entil2001, Jun 08, 2011

With all the discussion lately on the nature of the human soul and its impact on Anna's plan for the Visitors' future survival, I suppose it's not too shocking that Anna would want to maneuver one of the world's major religions into an alliance. As a Catholic myself, I was a bit wary of how they might handle things, but I think it was nicely done. Having a Visitor essentially convert to the faith, and then sacrifice himself in testimony to the human soul, was a powerful moment.

It also appears to validate the speculation by some that Anna usurped power from her mother, and her draconian methods (no pun intended!) are a reflection of her need to keep any threats to her primacy in line. It also explains her push to have Lisa advance as the next Queen, with her as the power behind the throne, so to speak. It's not just a matter of biology and breeding, but a means of controlling her people.

It's nice to see them follow through with the troubles of Father Landry, and by the end, there's now trouble for Erica. I've said before that this segment of the Resistance is not at all credible as a threat, having only gotten lucky in the past, and now the writers seem to be acknowledging that their activities would be detected sooner rather than later.

One would hope that this, and the evolving transformation of Tyler's personality, might kickstart the humans into being more intriguing. Because even as we approach the midpoint of this season, the Visitors are still vastly more interesting than the humans. All of the real drama lies within the Visitor intrigues and the debate over whether or not the soul is the salvation or damnation of their people.

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record on this point, but it remains the biggest problem with the show: the point of having the main human characters is to put a face on the human side of the equation. Instead, we have a few isolated individuals who really don't represent the full spectrum of the human experience during this "invasion". As such, we don't have the depth necessary to make the "invasion" seem like a true threat.moreless