V: The Series (1984)

Show Reviews (29)

Great

They should've finished V the series.

By MatthewHought, Apr 19, 2012

I feel like they should've finished off V with a 20th episode. For some reason I have the feeling there's a Lost V episode out there somewhere, I don't why. But if it's out there, it should be brought to light.

V- A series a series that had potential; but unlike the movies fell short.

By KrisCockayne, Dec 29, 2011

I was just a pre-teen when the movies came out; and thought V/V The Final Battle were the best T.V. movies ever. I still believe they are into the 21st century. When the series came out I thought WOW a kick ass T.V. show; but I was a little disappointed. First of all some of the cast from the movies left all to quick, i.e Robert Maxwell (Michael Durrell) among others which kinda sucked. I was disappointed with the visitor's voices, what the hell happened to their unique and cool voices? I thought some of the episodes were better than others and some they should have not even bothered. Yes I guess I am giving this a higher than usual rating but it wasn't that awful, considering Marc Singer, Jane Bader, and Frank Ashmore were a plus. I just wish the series could have been more like both the movies; excellent plot & an excellent cast. I do believe the newer series learned from the original one, but it to was doomed, which shocked me especially when I thought the 2nd season was the best bringing back some of the original cast from the 1st series, I thought sure V would have gotten a 3rd season. It's too bad V-The series 1984-1985 got cut short; it had so much potential if more time and effort were given to it instead of slapping something together and calling it an episode.moreless

The original series that attempted to capitalize on the success of the mini-series.

By mistressmarilyn, Mar 10, 2011

What made me originally fall in love with the series, V? Two words: Kyle Bates. When Kyle made his first appearance (or was it when he first took off his shirt?), I was hooked. And don't get me wrong. I already loved Mike and Julie and Ham and the rest of the gang. But Kyle was Hot with a capital H. And better yet, he had a powerful and seemingly amoral father from whom he was rebelliously estranged. The older Bates was even more compelling--was he really as bad as he seemed?--and the constant tension between the two was what kept me watching.

Kyle and Robin? Boring.

Kyle and Elizabeth? Boring.

Kyle and his dad? Riveting!

Listen, I was an absolute V fanatic. For a few short months my life revolved around this show. I even had my hair styled like Diana, that whacky, messy way she wore it during the series.

So I guess that's why it's so hard to admit what a mediocre mess the series was. The concept was great, utilizing all the original stuff but adding some new wrinkles. The 'open city' thing was fun and allowed for a lot of great plot twists. But those seemingly wore out pretty fast. When the producers started trying to correct mid-season and pump up the ratings, things actually got much worse. Every week it was a kill-em-off festival for original characters, as they exited stage left. Getting rid of Ham was an especially big boner. And then the guest stars got more and more over the top.

The whole Charles thing? Ridiculous! What in the world were they really supposed to do on that big rock once Charles and Diana got married? It's my opinion that this role is what destroyed Duncan Regehr's career.

What about the other actors? They did the best they could with what they had. Lane Smith was superior as Nathan Bates, and Jeff Yagher held his own, even though his pecs and pretty eyes were probably more notable. Marc Singer hung in there as the gun-toting Beastmaster of the resistance, but Julie--the character who made the most notable metamorphosis in the original mini-series--floundered.

And why did Elizabeth have to wear those awful dresses?

The day Nathan Bates was shot was one that will live in infamy at my house--right up there with the assassination of Rudy Jordache in the 'Rich Man, Poor Man' series. My sister and I were inconsolable. The good news? This plot twist revealed Bates' true nature and allowed Kyle and Nathan to finally come together as father and son. Regardless of what happened after (don't try to tell me Kyle *really* stowed away on Elizabeth's ship!), this was the series payoff.

At least for me.moreless

a alien race comes to earth in search of peace. what secert are they hiding.

By seaqueastdsv, Dec 16, 2007

we have just got V on the scifi channel and its showing every episode. i forgot how much this show is so good. we see the arrival of a alien race to earth. at first the seem friendly. but later on there becomes a dark side to them. what are they hiding. but not all of them are evil. we see some of the vistors who want to side with the humans. my favourite vistor is robert england charcter.( best know for playing freddy kruger). its a battle between the humans and the vistors. who will come out the winner. this is a great show that brings back a lot of memorys. its just great to be able to watch it again from the start.moreless

Timing killed the weekly series

Ratings:

V - 1st miniseries - 10

V: The Final Battle miniseries - 9.5 (ending was bad)

V - Weekly series - 6

Overall it was a 9.

By SoylentYellow, Mar 25, 2007

The original plan was the make a series based on the original mini-series but instead they made V: The Final Battle instead; which, while excellent (except for the dumb glowing girl endinng) pretty much doomed the weekly series. Now if they had done it right, the Visitors would have won at the end of the Final Battle and the resistance would have something to do while they were waiting for the Visitors enemies (that they contacted at the end of the first miniseries) to show up with real firepower. The silliness regarding the red dust only being effective in colder areas of the world was too much to swallow. Even if this was logical, the Visitors could have kept on blasting away at humans from their spaceships. Orbital bombardment would have reduced the surface to ashes in areas where ground troops could not go. And certainly within time they could develop an antidote or acquired it using human spies that were reprogrammed using their interrogation techniques.

Once the Visitors were exposed to the world it took all the mystery and suspense out of the franchise.

While it aired I did watch it and some of the episodes were decent, but I really didnt care when they cancelled it.moreless

The series that followed 2 successful mini-series... had potential but fell a bit short, yet sets up an idea for scifi series to come.

By MyCritique, Dec 17, 2006

As it began reaching its peak with a plethora of successful television shows, leading to its dethroning of ABC as the #1 network, NBC, with much fanfare and clever marketing (including thousands of billboards nationwide, with a simple black background and spray-painted V and nothing more to indicate what that meant or what it referred to), decided to get in on the science fiction bandwagon and release a science fiction miniseries called "V". It quickly became one of most anticipated miniseries of the time and was the highest rated show for NBC that year. The premise was simple - humans on Earth receive a mysterious message and finally make hesitant first contact with an alien species who arrive in massive ships. But before that moment, the debate is on regarding whether they would be hostile or peaceful. And upon arrival day, they find the aliens look "human" and claim to come in peace. These new "Visitors" as they called themselves, slowly infiltrate and blend in with the human population. And with a clever use of propaganda that mimics WWII era facist propaganda, they win over key supporters among the youth and politicians, and soon reveal their true identities and intentions - a reptillian species who want to harvest humans for food, and they take over the world governments to do so. Followed closely by battle-hardened photographer Mike Donovan, he eventually becomes the pivotal leader of a human resistence movement against the self-named "Visitors". And their efforts continue in a sequel miniseries, and finally spill over into this short-lived weekly series.

Although the show brought back several of the original cast of the miniseries including Marc Singer, Jane Badler, Robert Englund, and Frank Ashmore, the political aspects were slowly lost and there didn't seem to be a good direction to go with the series, as some of the original writers left.

All in all, it wasn't a bad show and could have delved a bit more into the current political reality of the time, but like other series based off of films or miniseries like Planet of the Apes and Logan's Run, it finally ended after a season. It did live on as one of many sci-fi references parodied in the amazingly popular and successful science fiction film Independence Day.moreless

I love this tv show

By cvdixon29, Dec 17, 2006

I love this tv show, I have just finished watching the V movies and I love them, I could barely remember them when i was little, but I did remember bits and pieces, I abosolutely love this show , wish they would bring it back with new episodes, which would be updated of course with newer technology.

An inexplicable quandry: why do I love this show so much?

By Missybea, Nov 26, 2006

Do you know what? I loved this show. The mini series has to go down as one of the all time greats on television. And I am usually not a fan of the sci-fi genre. Aliens coming to earth to rape the planet and steal the water supply is perhaps not the most original premise, however it has that kitsch factor that separates it from the other alien invasion programmes.

One of the elements that I particularly enjoyed was the central characters; until the weekly series any way. Having a relatively vulnerable female, brilliantly played by Faye Grant, lead the resistance and form a rebel force was something a bit different back in the day. Yes, there are your stereotypical heroic blokes in the form of Mike, played by Marc Singer, and Ham played by Michael Ironside, but it takes a while for them to take over and command centre stage. By the time they do, you’ve got to know them below the brash exterior well enough to put up with, and even enjoy watching, their testosterone filled fights. Meanwhile, from outer space you have the outlandish Jane Badler as Diana. She could go head to head with all the classic television tough cookies any day. She would literally eat them alive. And who could forget Robert Englund’s portrayal of language challenged Willie? The ensemble cast that developed over the weeks meant that there was always someone in each episode that you were actually interested in, be it the Bernsteins, Maxwells, resistance fighters of visitors.

The plot of the original mini series was superb. It charts the development of the fledgling resistance in their seemingly endless battle against the visitors and their planned exploitation of the earth and the human race. Some of the many truly classic moments to watch out for include; Mike observing Diana snacking on a guinea pig, Juliet ripping off Charles’ face live on television and Robin giving birth. And let us not forget Ruby’s demise.

Things drastically went down hill when they decided to make weekly, hour-long episodes. It ended up being a pastiche of itself, and that was a shame. Characters no longer seemed to be the ones we had known and loved in the mini-series: what happened to Mike and Julie’s relationship? Why does Mike give up looking for Sean? Why do so many of them have to die? What happened to the visitors’ vibrating voices? These are questions that will never be answered. It’s a tad annoying that they had to destroy something that started out so well. However, I confess that I have recently re-watched the weekly series and it’s not quite as bad as I remember it, I even quite enjoyed it. Yes it was obviously made on the cheap, probably on a budget of £1.50, but there are a couple of redeeming episodes.

Quite why I love the show so much, when it all went so terribly bad, I have no idea. But, love it I do. I guess that too will remain one of those unanswered questions.moreless

What more could you ask for...Aliens taking over Earth disguised as Humans! A real treat.

By rslade70, Oct 12, 2006

I have always been a V fan. For me, this show never gets old. The mini series is the best of all the series. The weekly show was not as exciting (in fact some what corny), but still great. There was nothing like seeing the jaws of the Visitors dislocate. As for the first season (series), it has everything I look for in a TV show or movie. It had suspense, action, scifi, action, romance, and aliens. If you like B movies and crave that alien takeover with a great ending, this would be the show for you. You will find yourself cheering in the end...corny..but still wonderful.moreless

Load More Reviews