HBO Renews Veep and Silicon Valley

By Kaitlin Thomas

Apr 21, 2014

I'd like to see Ryantology try to scoop us on this one! HBO has renewed its Sunday-night comedy block, ordering new seasons of both Veep and Silicon Valley. Armando Iannucci's political satire Veep, which stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus as the vice president of the United States, has been reelected to a fourth season, while Mike Judge's freshman comedy Silicon Valley, about a group of computer programmers trying to make it big in the tech industry, has earned another round of funding for Season 2. Silicon Valley has only aired three episodes so far, but the startup of a series has found early early success: critical acclaim and a series premiere that drew 2.5 million viewers, making it HBO's highest-rated debut for a half-hour program since 2009.

The news comes not long after the network renewed its extremely popular fantasy epic Game of Thrones for two more seasons, so I hope you really like HBO's Sunday-night lineup, because it looks like it's not going anywhere for a while.

thekaitling:list:which-renewal-are-you-more-excited-for/

• Comments (28)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • marlonjones Jun 02, 2014

As it turned out, I binged Veep, got caught up now, and i'm lovin' it!
    So damn good! So equally fantastic they both got renewed!

• marlonjones Apr 22, 2014

Silicon Valley is fantastic, as is this news!
    As for Veep, I tried the pilot but that's it...not sure if I'll ever pick that up...
    But Silicon Valley!! Awesome!

• ben45tpy Apr 22, 2014

Yay for Silicon Valley. It's been consistently good so far, although the pilot was the strongest episode to date. It's so freakin' sad that Christopher Evan Walch died after shooting 5 episodes in what would be his breakout role. I'm not sure the series will be as successful without him but we'll know soon enough.

Meh for Veep. I gave it two seasons but it's a baffling misfire. Any chances of it being funny are snuffed out by none of the characters taking themselves seriously. They all seem to know they're in a farce and try to be funny - not a recipe for a successful comedy. I've seen the creator's previous work In the Loop which had none of these problems, so it's not him. It's probably just another case of botched American remakitis.

• jjafargi Apr 22, 2014

Oh wow, I hadn't heard about Welch dying before the even came out. This is such sad news! He's the best character on the show. This would have definitely made his career.

• Kerkesh Apr 22, 2014

I actually like Silicon Valley in that it deals with the realities of building up an enterprise from ground zero while being in direct competition with a ruthless, evil competitor with tremendous financial means.Plus the humour is light enough not to bother the narrative.

• Marburg66 Apr 21, 2014

Very happy about Veep!

Silicon Valley was OK, but it didn't wow me enough to put it higher on my watch list. I might get around to watching episodes 2 & 3 by the time episode 4 or 5 airs

• Notusedname Apr 21, 2014

I am glad to see Veep renewed. I haven't seen Silicon Valley yet, but i feel i should, since my study is in the field of technological science.

• Bottron Apr 21, 2014

I wonder how Silicon Valley will deal with the death of Christopher Evan Welch, I thought it may have hindered their renewal prospects.

• dodge_hickey Apr 22, 2014

That's a shame, loved watching Peter Gregory doing his thing.

• 5_1Stereo Apr 21, 2014

So sad :( His character is so quirky and fun!

• sandorxian Apr 21, 2014

Silicon valley seems extremely unintersting. The second episode felt flat.

• bballer151 Apr 22, 2014

the third episode is pretty funny though

• sandorxian Apr 22, 2014

Oh? I didn't see it. Maybe I will give it a new chance.

• bballer151 Apr 22, 2014

This comment has been removed.

• firedrakes Apr 21, 2014

love veep

• dodge_hickey Apr 21, 2014

Man, I love Silicon Valley! This news is awesome!

Still having a hard time getting into Veep, I happy the fans get a round 4!

• See More Comments (6)