Veep

Show Reviews (21)

Fair
6.3

A hilarious comedy with jokes that you have to have a brain to get

By jfla99, Jul 24, 2014

Veep is currently the best comedy on TV. The show actually requires you to think and doesn't have a 15 second laugh track after every joke *cough* Any Chuck Lorre Show *cough*

Hilarious

By KrustyClown, May 28, 2014

This show is quick-witted and asks the audience to actually listen and laugh all without a laugh track prompting you when to giggle. In other words it doesn't treat it's audience as a bunch of idiots. It amazes me that people trash this show as unfunny. Go watch 2 broke girls or some such crap and leave the intelligent comedies to those who think.

Veep 0 The thick of it 3

By aneley, Apr 11, 2014

The show's not that bad, but compared to Lannucci's The Thick of It, Veep doesn't even cut it close. It lacks that witty dialogue for a political satire (except for the occasional ones), which Lannucci cleverly delivered in both In the Loop and The thick of it. Julia is awesome, I won't take anything away from her, but some of the other cast, excluding the veterans of Lannucci's previous work, of course, seem out of their depth. I hope they do better with this season.moreless

Awesome show

By jamieagain, Sep 23, 2013

I have followed Julia Louis-Dreyfrus for a while. She is hands down my kind of hilarious. I'm so glad they ran away with Emmy's this year.

Lose the F-Bomb

By timvdw, Aug 22, 2013

This is a great comedy that actually exports well, I am not US but find the humour (<-note the correct spelling) is witty and the subtlety and timing that Dreyfus brings to her delivery is sublime.

Just quit it with the gratuitous FUCK every few minutes, once noticed you can't stop listening for the F-Bomb - this does not export well.

One of the best comedies out there

By lucprincen, May 29, 2013

I really can't seem to get my head around everybody calling this show boring. It's smart, quick and i've laughed a lot each episode. Julia Louis Dreyfus and Tony Hale are fantastic ( even though Tony Hale is basically Buster with a different mom ).

Next to that; the inside jokes are building up and the phony smiles and political rope-dancing are giving this show a voice.

Was This Supposed To Be A Comedy?

By mlauzon, Jan 06, 2013

This show was just not funny in the least, I have no idea what they were going for, but it's just not working. I can't see this show lasting all that long, even though it is on HBO.

beltway loop

By LChristopherM, Nov 04, 2012

This show is a tick and a tampax (at least for another year till Julia menapauses) away from the from the fast paced, witty, funny "In The Loop". Like ITL this show is a political satire but unlike ITL it is only mildly funny making up for lack of witty banter with a ton of semi-pretty gals continually screaming "fuck this" and "Motherfucker". Having women in Wash with mouths like rolling toilets is a tad cute for one or two shows but it gets old quick. Maybe it's HBO but it still plays the tired series line of newly empowered women that at the core are still giggly, jealous and continually pre-menstral. Perhaps Ianucci spent a month or two walking around DC with an ear on the ground for slip-lines, quips and esoteric verbage but it just doesn't come off real. As much as you want to like it, it is still almost impossible to forget that you're watching actors spill silly dialogue as much as it's hard to forget the canned politicos in DC trying to look empathetic to the average couch potato.moreless

Fast Paced Laughs

By patsully, Aug 22, 2012

Loved "In the Loop" and the formula works even better on TV in that I'll welcome hours of Ianucci's dialogue. It feels like the perfect extension of Julia Louis-Dreyfus' "Seinfeld" role, and while her team is impossibly inept, the interactions are hilarious and endlessly quotable. Things can always get worse, which the characters will be quick to bring up - "What if Tom Hanks died?"

I also love that so far it is mostly a non-political show. There are only veiled references to current issues (don't upset the oil industry) and we're not likely to meet the President - at least I hope. Did he call?moreless

NOT an office clone -- much better!

By darthrenny, Jul 10, 2012

I'm not sure what these other reviewers were watching. Boring? Each episode has its own mini storylines and there are multi episode arcs. Engrossing story lines, if you're into politics at all. The hand-wringing, the agendas, the compromise. The characters? offbeat, charming and hilarious. Best of all, there's still a hint of 'believability' in them (except for Mike -- if he's real he'd be fired by now, but I guess the veep's loyal to him). [Spoilers] Looking forward to season 2 and how they'll fight that congressional investigation. It's gonna be a cracker!moreless

Load More Reviews