Vegas

Mediocre
5.9

Welcome to Old Vegas!

By WebSorve, Nov 10, 2012

The only things I knew, before watching the first episode, were that this show had been created by the same people who wrote "Goodfellas" (1990) and "Casino" (1995) and starred Dennis Quaid, Michael Chiklis and Carrie-Anne Moss. But I didn't really know what to expect from it. Would this be just another random mobster TV series? Or would it revolve around money, gambling and gorgeous women? Truth be told... it's neither, really. Apparently, "Vegas" is based on the true life story of a rancher turned sheriff back in the 60's. Dennis Quaid plays this "tough-as-nails" local rancher named Ralph Lamb, who is brought in by the Mayor of Sin City to solve a murder. However, this coincides with the arrival of Vincent Savino (Chiklis), a Chicago mobster looking to make his own way and become a big shot in Vegas. Throughout his investigation, Lamb is aided by Assistant District Attorney, Katherine O'Connell (Moss), whose family was, at one point, involved in a feud with the Lambs.

There are moments where you can tell this is a low budget series, but it possesses a coolness factor and a sense of humor that is uncharacteristic to this type of shows. The supporting cast is also great, with the likes of Michael O'Neill, James Russo and Jason O'Mara.

I must be honest here, I never thought Dennis Quaid could play this old school John Wayne/Clint Eastwood type of "cowboy", but he manages to pull it off brilliantly. I'll definitely keep watching this one.moreless

Solid start, hope they let Michael Chiklis loose soon

By patsully, Sep 28, 2012

Dennis Quaid was great. Carrie-Anne Moss was forgettable. Michael Chiklis needs a bunch more screen time considering he was surprisingly non-confrontational here. Surely a more aggressive approach will be next.

In Las Vegas in 1960 local rancher Ralph Lamb investigates a high profile murder just as Chicago gangster Vincent Savino arrives in Sin City.

By meathead704, Sep 27, 2012

It's nice to finally see "Vegas" after all of the buildup to it. While I was not blown away by the pilot episode I certainly enjoyed it. The roles are perfectly cast in my opinion. Dennis Quaid does very well in his respective role as does the terrific Michael Chiklis. "TV Guide" recently said that it was good to see Chiklis turn "evil" after his terrific turns in "The Commish" and "The Shield" (Though we all know Vic Mackey could be evil when he wanted to be.). I agree with that. He did well in this first episode. However I would llike to see if he can keep a good thing going out of the formulaic beatings and tough guy routines we are used to seeing in mob movies and shows. I think Chiklis can do so which is what will make me tune in for the next episode. This review would not be complete without mentioning the supporting cast. Carrie Ann Moss did a good job as well. I like what I saw so far. Hopefully it won't fall off track. We shall see.moreless

Vegas - Pilot episode.

By Dec1964, Sep 26, 2012

By the user ratings tuff crowd, I actually like

this show. I thought the pilot episode was very

good. Love the cast, Dennis Quaid, Michael Chiklis

& Carrie Ann Moss. Set in the 60's makes a change

from the techno gadgets we take for granted today.