Warehouse 13 Season 5 Premiere Review: Time After Time After Time

By MaryAnn Sleasman

Apr 15, 2014

Warehouse 13 S05E01: "Endless Terror"

It's the beginning of the end for Warehouse 13 as we kick off the Syfy stalwart's final season. It's also the beginning of the beginning, in a few different ways: Claudia coming into her own as the next caretaker, Pete and Myka's relationship—they are so endgame—and the conclusion of Paracelsus's reign of terror as the Warehouse's most persistent problem. There are six episodes in this hiccup of a swan song and Warehouse 13 just isn't the sort of show to go out on such a big downer as its heroes losing against a wholly monstrous adversary. 

Lots of Warehouse 13's past baddies have espoused the ever-chilling "end justifies the means" philosophy, but Paracelsus embraces it completely. He also lacks the emotion that has driven so many of the Warehouse's former enemies—including Sykes and, for a time, H.G.—and which allowed us to humanize them even as they did awful things. Paracelsus is just a cold bastard who simply wants to do a science and make a discovery at any cost... and then use that discovery to further his own power, of course. He also tends to be the smartest person in the room at any given time, which makes him even more of a threat; iI Wear the Black Hat, the always-awesome Chuck Klosterman wrote that a true villain is the person who "knows the most and cares the least," and I think that pretty succinctly sums up ol' Paracelsus. 

Regardless, I'm fully confident that Paracelsus will be defeated or reformed by the end of the series. All we have to do is hold on and enjoy the ride. 

If you're a little fuzzy on the deets of Warehouse 13's Season 4's finale, here's the scoop. Paracelsus barricaded himself inside the Warehouse with Claudia, planning to smoosh some artifacts together and most likely build something nasty. Myka's cancer storyline was a thing that I'd forgotten about until this episode; same goes for Claudia's secret sister Claire. Not gonna lie, I'm infinitely more interested in the Myka and Claudia stuff than the Paracelsus stuff, mostly because I'm lazy and jaded and I assume he'll be disposed of eventually. 

Anyhoo, "Endless Terror" saw the return of Mark Sheppard as formerly deceased Warehouse 2 expert Benedict Valda, who is alive and loyal to his alternate-timeline caretaker. I feel a bit guilty because my gut says that any appearance by Sheppard in any capacity should always be met with cheering and flailing, but I'm just so over Paracelsus, and the possibility that Valda survived the restoration of the timeline in order to potentially de-bronze Paracelsus is disappointing. It's not that his delicious evilness isn't, well, delicious, but at this point in the series, we have so much to explore in our agents' personal lives: Pete and Myka, Artie and Vanessa, Claudia and Claire, Claudia and the warehouse. I'd rather we focused on the smaller stories, rather than more cat-and-mouse shenanigans with another power-drunk madman. 

Then again, so far, all Valda has done is enter his dearly departed alternative self's vault, so maybe the dude is harmless. 

Haha, yeah right. 

In a way, "Endless Terror" fell short as a premiere, though I'll admit that it was mostly the knowledge of this being Warehouse 13's final season that raised my expectations so high. It wasn't a bad episode, but it was only an average episode. It wrapped up the biggest problem plaguing the Warehouse at the conclusion of Season 4 and it set us up for the rest of Season 5, but given that this we've only got six episodes total until the end, I wanted it to feel more special, you know? 

Even the alternate future generated by Paracelsus's meddling in the past failed to generate much excitement, though the line about P only tweaking the timeline—as opposed to completely altering the history of the world—provided some nice attention to detail and totally made sense for him. It also reinforced the notion that the Warehouse is a world within itself. While we didn't actually get to see the brave new world outside the alternate-future Warehouse, given Myka's comments, I think we can assume it's not terribly different from our own. 

However, I'd be remiss not to note that time travel—frontways and backways and every other which way—has become to Warehouse 13 what dead Winchesters are to Supernatural. When it happens so often, and usually with the same outcome every time, it becomes routine and a little boring. 

I'm still thrilled to be back in the Warehouse, though, and the series has given itself a few strings in need of tying that could prove to be a promising challenge in the next five weeks. While huge, sweeping, save-the-world types of stories have been Warehouse 13's bread and butter from the very beginning, it's the characters that we care about, and it's the characters that we'll miss when the show goes off the air. Let's wrap up the apocalypse and get down the the personal, people-driven stories that are going to last in our minds after the credits roll, okay?

EXTRA ARTIFACTS

– "Don't try to explain time travel. It never makes sense and it always makes my head hurt." —Pete Lattimer, the voice of television viewers everywhere

– Do you think Myka is REALLY fine? 

– Claire theories! Calling all Claire theories!

What did you think of the Season 5 premiere? What are your hopes for the rest of the season?

• Comments (43)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • lmf Apr 30, 2014

Didn't Janeway say the same exact thing about time travel in an episode of voyager?

• jjafargi Apr 22, 2014

I lol'd at your dead Winchesters comment!

• nexpose Apr 19, 2014

I think it was pretty good but expected the battle with Claudia to be a bit more than it was.

I'd guess many here have seen the season previews at the end of the ep. and it looks really awesome. Explaining most what is left but also giving us that happy, send-off feel. I sure hope so.

And let's all remember this is truly the "end" of a Sci-Fi genre and hope not for a very long time. Since W-13 and Eureka sorta are hand in hand with a certain style. I'll be yearning for more in this style but I don't see much like them.

• CherokeeRose4 Apr 17, 2014

I was left a little disappointed with the premiere too. It just didn't seem to have a lot of "heart" in it if that makes any sense. Given that there are only five episodes left, I hope this episode turns out to be the weakest.

• ukeishiro Apr 16, 2014

I don't really know what to think about Myka's cancer... Is she cured with the "help" of Pete toying with artifacts, is she lying, maybe she is not aware yet?
    Anyway I hope they won't kill her at the end I want an happy ending even if I'll miss WH13.
    I'm also curious to know about Claudia's sister.
    Next episodes seem interesting, I hope that they (the writers) will make a hell of an ending and don't waste our 5 last WH13.

• JT_Kirk Apr 16, 2014

Pete and Myka hooking up would be so very wrong, it'd be incestual. I was happy to get rid of Paracelsus though, it was just one too many times to the well and another few episodes chasing him would have sucked, the writing there is so shallow.

Ugh, I hadn't thought about Valda being loyal to Paracelsus, you are on the money there, DO NOT WANT.

I really haven't a clue about Myka, hadn't considered that she's lying, that'd be a massive bummer.

• TVMonger Apr 16, 2014

New spinoff - Odo and The Bionic Woman

• MichelleHood24 Apr 16, 2014

WOW ITS BACK AND ITS BACK WITH A BANG. I love this show and this episode was warehouse at its best. I love Pete, he still manages to find time to hit on the pretty girl and save the world at the same time. The warehouse scene at the beginning where Claudia was going after the boys, that was priceless. I hope Myka is ok, like really ok. I loved this episode from start to finish.

• 377221 Apr 15, 2014

MaryAnn, are you going to review Continuum?

• Llostris Apr 15, 2014

What Was That?! So Myka doesn't have a cancer?! I thought they confirmed she's sick in last season? Also she was dying and that's why she needed emergency operation in season's 4 finale? And now she only has a benign ovarian cyst?! WTF?!

If Myka is lying and she still has ovarian cancer - do we really have time for more drama? We only have 5 episodes till series finale. The team should be doing everything that is possible to save her life.

If Myka is suddenly alright and it was just one big misunderstanding then Warehouse 13 just went to toilet.

I'm still too confused / angry to think straight about the premiere.

On the plus side - it looks like we'll see Jaimie Murray as Helena again - YAY!

• jmachine Apr 16, 2014

I recently sort of marathoned the show (psyched it's back, WEAK that it's a short last season). The details of Myka's cancer curing are a little fuzzy, but sometime near the end of season 4, Pete really wanted her to get better and resorted to something super risky involving combining two artifacts. I have vague memories of her almost dying while the artifacts where doing their thing, Pete and (whoever it was who told him about the power of the combo?) lost control of it, but then of course they got it together and Myka was cured. That was the origin of the whole object-combo thing, which became a theme.

Apologies in advance if I'm off on the details, or even the whole freaking thing. While I'm a big Warehouse 13 fan, but obviously wasn't glued to the screen for each episode. It's a real shame they aren't continuing it past this season... Umm, Claudia becoming caretaker of the warehouse is sort of a BIG DEAL. The show has evolved due to events like that and all the revelations we've had about warehouse-land over four seasons. IOW, could almost be considered a new show at this point vs. what began in season one. It's got an awesome cast that I'm already to attached to. The setting is much more interesting due to what we've learned about it and everything that's gone down there. Tell me some stories with this new background!

At least I'd definitely put "Warehouse 13 in the "rewatchable in a year-or-so" category.

• See More Comments (20)