CBS Cancels We Are Men, Mercifully Freeing Kal Penn and Tony Shalhoub; Mike & Molly Will Take Its Place

By Tim Surette

Oct 10, 2013

My lord, even men aren't safe this television season. CBS has swung its mighty axe, slaughtering Monday-night comedy We Are Men as an offering to the gods of multi-camera comedies and acronymed procedurals. For those of you who don't appreciate colorful metaphors, that means We Are Men has been canceled after airing only two episodes, effective so immediately that it may as well have happened a few days ago. It's the second new show of the season to meet death, following ABC's yanking of Lucky 7 last Friday. 

We Are Men was a relative disaster from the start, debuting with 6.6 million viewers and a 2.0 rating among the 18-49 set... on CBS! The show's second episode, now its last, dropped to 5.4 million and a 1.8 rating. To fill the new vacancy in its Monday-night lineup, CBS will move 2 Broke Girls up by half an hour to 8:30pm, and air repeats of The Big Bang Theory in the 9pm slot for three weeks before bringing back Mike & Molly for its fourth season on November 4. There are currently no plans to air the unaired episodes of We Are Men.

I'm going to be straight with you: I didn't really like We Are Men! The series centered on four guys in various states of dumpage as they lived a bachelor lifestyle in a housing complex near Hollywood, where they drooled over women, ate fast food, and drank beer. But it had an awesome cast: Tony Shalhoub, Kal Penn, and (I guess) Jerry O'Connell. Now Shalhoub and Penn can go do something better, like guest-star as romantic interests on The Mindy Project.

• Comments (141)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • largejohnson90 Mar 01, 2014

I loved We Are Men and was so sad to see it get cancelled. It had the potential to be as big as How I Met Your Mother and in my opinion just as good. The Mindy Project sucks and I hope Shalhoub or Penn wouldn't sink that low. Mike and Molly also sucks and should be cancelled to put We Are Men back on since it wasn't really given a fair go only airing two episodes. Fingers crossed that it gets picked up by another network.

• bmorri Oct 15, 2013

Woohoo! This show really sucked big time...now get rid of a few more and we'll be fine.

• PhoenixTremayne Oct 11, 2013

We are men was a poor version of TVLand's The Exe's same show without the female cast members. I knew it was getting cancelled after watching the first one and catching half of the second. My client told me he like it; I said it was getting cancelled now I can say, "I told you so!" next time I see him; he's a know it all.

• gdavis101 Oct 10, 2013

Thank god, it was painful! The only good thing about it was the gal that played Shalhoubs daughter! TNT made a show like this, it was called Men Of A Certain Age and it was entertaining and well thought out, this one was not!

• welwynrose Oct 10, 2013

2 for 2 in the dead pool

• Run4Nova Oct 10, 2013

Got another one! \o/

• Madelynn1984 Oct 10, 2013

Ok, it's not that I care about this show, but shouldn't these networks EITHER decide a show's no good before ever airing it, OR give it more than 2 episodes? Do they get that lots of people who would end up watching it don't necessarily plan their schedules around a brand new show to make sure they're counted in the ratings? And they work in tv. If they thought it was good enough to air, shouldn't they have the confidence to give it an actual shot? I never watch pilots when they first air, perhaps partially for this very reason. What's the point if it might not even make it a half season?

• KeithOConnor1 Oct 10, 2013

This is the second time I was right this year with cancellations.

• zeofan1 Oct 10, 2013

I guess people just aren't tolerant of 'Sex & The City' when inverted. Go figure.

• snakegriffin Oct 12, 2013

Entourage was pretty successful actually

• zeofan1 Oct 12, 2013

Very funny. :P

• vampman87 Oct 10, 2013

I read an article once that said adding Jerry O'Connell these days to any new TV pilot will ensure the series demise by the season finale. Do Not Disturb, Carpoolers, The Defenders, The Munsters remake (which didn't even make it past the pilot) and now this. How is this guy still getting work when every series he's in dies? He hasn't had a hit since Crossing Jordan ended in 2007.

• JosephCecil Oct 10, 2013

If we put him, Summer Glau, and Ted McGinley on the same show, would the universe implode?

• smorbie Oct 10, 2013

No, because Ted McGinley broke his curse by being on the very successful Married With Children. He was on the show for about eight years and his character eclipsed the one he replaced.

• See More Comments (79)