Wilfred Has Been Renewed for a Fourth and Final Season on FXX

By Tim Surette

Oct 02, 2013

Wilfred's humping days aren't over yet. A few weeks after the Season 3 finale of FX's Wilfred, the dark comedy had been renewed for a fourth and final season, according to TV Guide. The renewal is for 10 episodes, and Wilfred will stand up and circle around a bunch of times before finally settling into its new home on FXX, the recently launched comedy-centric sister network of FX. Given the show's production cycle, Wilfred should return next summer. 

There will be some shuffling of management behind the scenes as well. David Zuckerman, who served as showrunner during the first two seasons but stepped down to a regular producing role in Season 3, will resume showrunning duties in Season 4. He'll work alongside Season 3 showrunners Eli Jorne and Reed Agnew. Given that Zuckerman tends to favor some of the show's darker tendencies, this is a plus.

Wilfred stars Elijah Wood as a man who sees his neighbor's dog as a man in a dog suit (Jason Gann). In addition to showcasing Gann's artful hip-gyrations when Wilfred is humping inanimate objects, Wilfred explores issues of sanity, self-identity, and supreme beings. And weed. Lots and lots of weed. 

After deftly dancing around the topic and teasing its audience for three seasons, the final-season label will also allow Wilfred to put some definitive answers to the series' biggest question: Who or what is Wilfred himself

• Comments (36)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Notusedname Oct 03, 2013

It will end like the austrialien version. Ryan will be taken away by the authorities, in the U.S. version it will be the asylum for the insane, and Wilfred will go on and bother some other guy.

• The_Ravn Oct 03, 2013

They obviously are never going to reveal what he is. It'll be ambigious up till the very last minute and then end with the classic and frustratingly cliché "it's up to personal interpretation what you think Wilfred was".

• WavSlave Oct 03, 2013

Yep, I expect something pretty much exactly like this to happen. The last shot of the last episode will pull the rug out from under us in some frustrating, never-to-be-resolved way. But at least I'm expecting that to happen, so that'll lessen the sting somewhat.

• terminaltrip421 Oct 03, 2013

regardless of the show's reveal Wilfred is to Ryan as Tyler Durden is to The Narrator. except Wilfred physically exists as a dog and is seen as being a human in a dog suit. also ryan knows wilfred is just a dog, except fortunately for him he sees him as really strange dog that talks and gives terrible advice and is likely the one supplying the marijuana.

also "weed" is entirely too dated to be used anymore. see: the cast of fox and friends in the morning all using it.

• Marburg66 Oct 03, 2013

heh! seems Daniellecio understood just fine what I didn't ::facepalm::

Trust me. "Weed" as a slang term for pot is so universal it will outlive unborn children's grandchildren.

"Maui Wowie" & "Tea"...those are a couple of actual dated weed slang terms for ya.

it was pretty funny that after my posting this I watched "It's always sunny..." only to have all of them refer to the joint being passed around as weed.

• TrevPlatt Oct 03, 2013

What about "Ganja", if I'm even spelling it right, is that still used?

How about "taking a trip to Hypno-fairy Land"?

• Marburg66 Oct 03, 2013

What about "Ganja"
    The existence of Rastafarianism will keep that one current

How about "taking a trip to Hypno-fairy Land"
    heh! Ummm...You must be high. That one will stop being used as slang for pot when your short term memory fails to remember it :P

• TrevPlatt Oct 03, 2013

That sounds fair enough.

(To be completely honest, I've never smoked anything in my life, but I thought "taking a trip to Hypno-fairy Land" sounded like a term that should be used, so I'm hoping it takes off.) ;)

• daniellecio Oct 03, 2013

So what do you call it?

marijuana and if using slang I call it pot.

• daniellecio Oct 03, 2013

I think "weed" like "pot" will just be around forever as just another common name for it!

• Marburg66 Oct 03, 2013

also "weed" is entirely too dated to be used anymore. see: the cast of fox and friends in the morning all using it.

I don't understand what this means

• StanleyStutters Oct 03, 2013

Glad to see Wilfred renewed and given the chance to finish their story. This has been one of my favorite comedies, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it all play out. My guess for the ending is pretty generic, I think Ryan is either dead from his season one suicide attempt, or schizophrenic.

• haroven Oct 03, 2013

Nah Wilfred is no one's id, Wilfred is an outsider looking in but in an unexpected way which is what makes the show so interesting.
    When we humans think about what someone(usually imaginary) outside looking on at our actions is thinking, we normally think the outsider is judging us -mostly considering us somewhat negatively.
    But Wilfred the outsider, eggs Ryan on urging him to be outlandish, take chances, & even laughs at his subject's jokes (usually) instead of telling Ryan his humour is sexist/racist/homophobic or whatever.

In a nutshell Wilfred is a TV viewer watching Ryan's show with the added ability to communicate with Ryan.
    Wilfred watches the 'Ryan' TV show & says/does the things that we would want to if we (i)owned TV's that 'talked back' & (ii) were as smart, funny & hip as Wilfred is.

• tv_gonzo Oct 03, 2013

This is one of my favourite shows. The cast is great, the balance between comedy and drama is just right. I'm sad to see it go, but better with one great last season than on a cliffhanger.

• Ian281099 Oct 03, 2013

It doent matter what Wilfred is, if the show ends with all being a dream I'll kill a motherf*ucker.

• mfontana Oct 03, 2013

Eloquently put.

• Taccado Oct 03, 2013

Good call. This show can't go on forever, and four seasons is a good number for it. Better to stop when the show still has material to go on.

I'm guessing that Wilfred is something else than the options given in the poll. I don't know what he is, and I admit it's very hard to imagine Wilfred being something else than a drug induced hallucination, god, Ryan or an alien, but I still think the writers have some other option in mind.

• onionringlets Oct 02, 2013

Very sad to see this showing going by the wayside. Can we start a campaign to bring this show back? Are the ratings weak??? I <3 this show..

• Whedonrules Oct 02, 2013

Too bad its time to hang up the dog suit for Gann. Elijah Wood and Jason Gann as well as Dorian Brown, Fiona Gubelmann, and Chris Klein have made this one of the best unsung casts on television. They are fantastic together and have gotten great guest stars that have always found good parts on this show. (Ted Danson is a lucky man.) Its gonna sting with this one gone. The only better comedy duo on television are James Roday and Dule Hill. Now both are leaving next year - that's not funny. I've watched this new crop of comedies and none are funnier that this.

• onionringlets Oct 02, 2013

Like you're sn! Do you like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?
    Very right about Psych.
    Brooklyn Nine Nine is not bad at all

• Whedonrules Oct 03, 2013

S.H.I.E.L.D. seems to be missing something that other Whedon shows had and I think it has to do with him being on a major network - it gets tough when you're trying to please everyone and it really seems like S.H.I.E.L.D. is maybe trying too hard and ending up doing just that. I'm hoping the stories get better as Whedon has his brother and sis in law doing a lot of the writing and I really liked Jed and Maurissa's work on 'Spartacus'.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine IMO is crap. Its pilot made it seem like a show where jokes go to die with Andy Samberg as the Joke Reaper. I watched the pilot and half hour later couldn't remember a single character. Its been almost 40 years since 'Barney Miller' premiered and I can still remember every character from that show. (Nice to see Whedon remembered 'Barney Miller' and found another role for Ron Glass in S.H.I.E.L.D.)

Worst of the worst of the new comedies is HBO's putrid Stephen Merchant led 'Ladies Man'. Its a show that is so unoriginal and yet at the same time full of itself. Painfully unfunny. Why HBO greenlit that crap is beyond me, oh wait that's the same network that is now trying to turn 'Entourage' into a film so I guess it figures.....

• onionringlets Oct 04, 2013

I agree. Even about B99, I'm well aware that I'll take a lotta inane show ideas for the chance to 'turn off' for awhile.

I was disappointed by Ladies Man too and thought more of Stephen Merchant. When the only thing going for a show is the 'will they or won't they' vibe from an undoubtedly weak onscreen chemistry, then they haven't got much..

• Whedonrules Oct 04, 2013

I expected more as well. The only one that I continued with is 'Trophy Wife' which dropped about 5 quality points from its pilot to its second episode. I'm pretty sure it changed daughters from pilot to second ep as well. It just settled into being a typical sitcom. Akerman is funny - her timing is pitch perfect honed by 'Children's Hospital' and stunning so its not hard to watch her in just about anything she is in. Same for Maggie Lawson who is starring in a show with Lenora Crichlow (from the UK 'Being Human') who I love - 'Back in the Game' - add James Cann and you think it's must see but its just not that good of a show. The best comedies early going seem to be the FXX combination of 'Its Always Sunny' and 'The League' on Wednesdays. Both have been top of their game early on. Can't wait for return of 'Archer'.

• See More Comments (8)