The Mourning Son

Episode Reviews (4)

Great

A nice beginning of the end

By tdakoo, May 01, 2006

It seems that in many long running series a lot of recurring characters are brought back in the final episode to tie up loose ends. Here they did it with two episodes to go, but it was a nice way to see all these characters again before the series ends. Rob and Ellen, Joe and Larry, Tina the mistress, Will's mom and brother all came back for the funeral.

It was nice to see Will's mom hug Tina and see that she's been forgiven for the affairs. And it was funny that the two couples are the same as always.

One of the nicest moments in the show was when Karen gave Will a hug (and said that she'll forget her usual mantra of "drugs not hugs") showing that the two really are friends despite all their differences over the years.

It was also nice to see Will finally realize that he tends to keep people at arms length and then reach out to Vince whom he has really missed.

His Mother's explanation for his father's feelings toward Will was a very nice moment between them in the laundry room. Will has pushed them away and kept them out of his life, and its no wonder that his father felt the way he did. I do feel terrible for Will, that so many other people have good stories about their last conversations with his father and he does not. Just goes to show you that you can't walk away angry from anyone you love.

It was also great that there could be some comedy during an episode at a funeral where Grace scared Sam's daughter by telling her Grandpa was a ghost. Grace begins to think that she won't be a good mother and this sets us up for the next few episodes. Will she be able to do it alone?

Overall this was a good episode, and a nice way to close out the situation with Will's father, to bring Will and Vince back together, and to make us think that Grace may not be ready for what the future holds for her.

moreless

I feel for them

By Manolito71, Apr 28, 2006

Will, my poor Will. I don't want to know how it feels to lose a parent, but I think I can grasp it thanks to Eric McCormack's performance.

Blythe Danner was poignant as she just did an essay about the death of her real-life husband, Bruce Paltrow. One can't help but connect the two.

I actually cried for them.

On a brighter note, YEAH!!! I'm so happy Will and Vince are back together! When Taye Diggs looked like he was "The One" for Will, I was very bothered. We all know Vince was and will always be "The One" for Will.moreless

The Beginning of the End

By amberbaer, Apr 28, 2006

While we know all about Will's fight with his father - what's more interesting is the face that Grace doesn't seem to have told the "friends' around them that she is pregnant - Ellen in particular - she avoids her, and the walks by her without even saying a word!

Will's mother, Blythe Danner, is superb as always, the scene in the laundry room is classic, and I adore a woman who can admit to her son all the things his father could not. a hint of vulnerability on her characters part - just a hint mind you!

moreless