Show Reviews (27)

Great

Be Still My Heart

By SFBarbear, Oct 18, 2012

Wonder Woman was essential 70's television. Good hearted camp superhero action all held together by the looks and assets of one amazing starlet, Lynda Carter. Whether battling Nazis, enhanced gorillas, space aliens or evil art dealers, Wonder woman would always prevail and do it with a smile!

By petenv, Sep 08, 2012

I read Wonder Womam comic books back in the 60's. When Wonder Woman started I watched every epsiode. Lynda Carter was The perfect Wonder Woman.

pete

Reasons WonderWoman was so popular- Two things kept that series going both held up Lynda Carters red white and blue outfit!

By guard4_u1951, Jun 13, 2010

Back in the day I was a teen when WW was on and what I remember about it was it was all about sexploitation. It wasn't bad enough to parade Ms Carter around in such a revealing costume- No! They had to sexualize young male viewers by repaetedly rendering either WW or Diana unconscious by various means. I remember my friends who watched it talk about wouldn't it be great to remove Diana's or WW's clothes while she was out. I even know of one father who encouraged this kind of thinking in his son. I wonder what became of him? Battle of the Network stars was another example of sexploitation. I mean who wouldn't watch Lynda Carter get her swimsuit wet while being dunked in the dunk tank. Comon it was fluff, and unnecessary sexualizing fluff which has never been equaled except perhaps fpr Farrah Fawcett in Charlies Angels. nuff said!!!moreless

By Charlieboy007, Nov 22, 2008

Wonder Woman was fantastic especially growing up I saw it when I was about 8 or 9 and I loved it.

You can not beat Lynda Carter she had charm, innocence while being sexy and feminine.

The WWII series was wonderful shame it did not last longer

Unfortunately the budget was not too great and the later series lost a lot of the charm of the previous ones but I still love it.

I am sure the Movie when it comes out will be awful, real dark and moody like Batman has become.

We seem to have lost the knack of making Science Fiction series like they use to.

Cheers guys.moreless

Go, Wonder Woman!

By TerryTV76, May 01, 2008

If there ever was a great Wonder Woman, it was definitely Lynda Carter and she really made the show successful by being WW/Diana Prince. I am proud to say that I own the entire series on DVD and while I loved the first season (World War II) adventures, the contemporary stories of the 1977-'79 era are the most fun as Wonder Woman fought terrorists, aliens (the Skrill), and other baddies. Even more fun are the guest stars like Rick Springfield, Anne Francis, Wolfman Jack, Jayne Kennedy, Leif Garrett, and many others as they add on the fun. As one of the Generation X TV fans, I watched the show on syndication and have grown to love it!moreless

wonder woman at her best

By unexpressedrage, Feb 25, 2008

diana prince is a superhero who works as a yeoman under steve trevor her boss and of whom she secretly admires. but this is just her cover up job coz she's really wonder woman who helps and saves and that's what super heroes do.she's strong and her strength and agility came from her home from somewhere secret and they were amazon women who are athletic and can take care of themselves w/o the interference of any men. this is considered a classic series already as it ended a very long time ago. and it's nice to know that they've made it on tv as a series.moreless

Wonder Woman was the first show on American television (The Avengers was on the BBC)to portray a female hero is a positive light. The show would pave the way for series like Dark Angel, Alias and Xena: Warrior Princess.

By kensforce, Jul 27, 2007

Lynda Carter will be forever remembered for her four years on American prime time television as Amazonian goddess turned defender of freedom known as “Wonder Woman”. The half Native American/Hispanic actress with her tall buxom frame would be the perfect fit to play the character that first appeared in DC comics in the 1940s’. It would have stood to figure that the presence of the former Miss World-USA 1973, Carter, herself would have equaled television gold. Several factors including a network change and a change in local, time, and philosophy ultimately would work against the series. Oddly enough it was a mid-season replacement on rival NBC called “Diff’rent Strokes, which starred Gary Coleman, that forced the shows network, CBS, to rethink and re-shuffle their schedule. Wonder Woman and its star Lynda Carter ended being the odd ones out. Although the network had plans to bring the show back, Carter soon would star in a very popular Las Vegas club act and record her first album. Great reviews turned the stars attention away from acting and towards a singing career that unfortunately never reached the popularity it had initially promised. Regardless the show was left for dead. The show took several strange turns before it became the cult classic we all remember. During the height of the “Batman Craze” in the late 1960s’ the shows producer, Bill Dozier had plans to produce a Wonder Woman series that would have been more comedy than action. Later in 1974 producer John G. Stephens would produce a 90-minute TV movie simply titled “Wonder Woman”. The movie which starred the blonde former tennis sensation, Cathy Lee Crosby, Ricardo Montalban and Kaz Garas bombed miserably. Before Carter was chosen to play a more traditional version of the character, Linda Harrison (Nova in Planet of the Apes) was used for several test shots and was strongly considered. The pilot which starred Lynda Carter called “The New Original Wonder Woman” aired in November 1975 and gained high ratings and critical praise. This still did not land the show a slot in the ABC schedule, instead two one-hour specials were ordered by the network. These too earned high ratings, yet ABC was still unwilling to make a commitment on the shows future. During the 1976-1977 season Wonder Woman was considered a replacement alternative if any of the regular slated shows failed. As a matter of chance several of these shows did indeed fail and the show found the opening it needed. Eleven one-hour shows were immediately put into production and Wonder Woman would bail ABC out of jam due to lack of quality programming.

Set in World War II era Washington DC, the series would showcase Wonder Woman as the nations champion of freedom against the evils of Nazi Germany. Disguised as Military Intelligence secretary Diana Prince, who did a perfect Clark Kent impression glasses and all, Wonder Woman would always be one step ahead of the bad guys, ready to spin into her costume and bail Major Steve Trevor (Lyle Waggoner) out of any sticky situation he got himself into. A young Debra Winger would play the buxom Wonder Girl who also managed to show up just in time to lend a hand to the defenders of freedom. The show featured just the right amount of camp and action to strike a chord with audiences and grab decent ratings.

Imagine the surprise of the fans when they found out that the show had unexpectedly switched networks to CBS for the 1977-78 season. A change of network however wasn’t the only change that was made to the series. The shows storyline had jumped ahead thirty years and the young Wonder Girl and the Nazis were nowhere to be found. The only hold over from the ABC series was Lyle Wagner, who was still cast as Steve Trevor. Modern locals, teen heartthrobs, and sci fi based episodes failed to capture the charm that the original series had. It should be noted however that the network did take steps to correct the series flaws towards to end of season two and the episodes in the third season were arguably the best of the entire run. The damage, however, had already been done and most of the initial audience had been lost by this point. Wonder Woman would end up in ratings limbo and eventually slide out of CBS’s prime time lineup.moreless

A little bit forgotten, but a classic one.

By da_dunker, Apr 28, 2007

Wonder Woman is a somewhat forgotten show, it's not on syndication much, but it's gotten a boost from a successful release on DVD. The first season takes place in the 1940s with Wonder Woman constantly fighting to dismantle the Nazi's schemes. The following two seasons take place in the 1970s, and they will be released on DVD soon.

The show is always bordering on the level of high camp, but like most every show from the 1970s, it tells its' story in a very plain straightforward fashion. Wonder Woman comes to the aid of Steve Trevor, who can never seem to help himself (the male in distress). Someone they know turns out to be an undercover Nazi spy, who is trying to steal valuable information or hurt many Americans.

One thing that is somewhat frustrating is how many times she is taken captured. She is chloroformed too many times to count (a 70s trademark - what action show didn't over-exploit chloroform?) Of course, how the hell does Steve never recognize that Diana is Wonder Woman, even when she happens to show up in the middle of Brazil to save him? And that music while she flies the invisible airplane?...yeeessh

The good parts of the show - Lynda Carter, first of all. She seemed to hit her stride in the part as the series continued and she is often so charming and innocent that you can't help but like her. Her values and strength of character are idealistic, but they're also missing in today's female heroes, who are so dark sometimes, they lose their charm. In many ways, watching Lynda as Wonder Woman is a breath of fresh air and of course, there still doesn't seem to be a woman other than her who could wear that outfit and pull it off. When Wonder Woman first walks on the city streets in the pilot, you don't know what to think, but Lynda plays her so innocently she's fantastic.

She is the driving force, but the innocent quality of the show (good vs. bad) is unique from today's perspective. The comic book captions at the leads of scenes give it a tie to the comics. The guest stars are often interesting and have good roles and Lyle Waggoner is consistent in a rather thankless role as Steve Trevor.

It may not hold up perfectly today, but it's a nice time capsule series and Lynda Carter does hold up well in a role she was born to play. And along with the Hulk, this was the best of the slew of comic book hero shows from the 1970s-early 80s.moreless

A classic character and a memorable show.

By boromirbeauty, Mar 16, 2007

One of the greatest female characters of all time, Wonder Woman, finally got her T.V. "cred" in this show starring Lynda Carter.

There had been a few attempts to bring the Amazing Amazon to life on television before, but it wasn't until this gem of a show found Carter and cast her as DC Comics first female super hero, that she ever got the recognition she deserved.

By today's standards, with shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Xena: Warrior Princess, this show might seem campy and (lets face it) out-dated, but as a child I watched this series and all my dreams of being Wonder Woman came true. Each week I got to "be" Princess Diana and fight evil and loved every minute of it.

This show is a true classic, just like the character it was based on.moreless

Load More Reviews