Wonderfalls

Show Reviews (83)

Great

Hooked 20 minutes into the pilot

By sarahjadesigns, Mar 30, 2014

10 years ago, I watched the pilot episode of Wonderfalls on TV for the first time. About 20 minutes in, the main character, Jaye Tyler, starts chasing after a quarter following a little wax lion's instructions to do so. As she runs down stairs to try and catch the bouncing coin she asks herself, "oh my god, what am I doing?!" At this point, I was completely sold on this show.

Seemingly banal and pointless instructions from (normally) inanimate animal objects like "lick the lightswitch" or "take a picture" have huge ripple effects that ultimately improve Jaye's life and the lives of those she encounters. This show has often been compared to "Joan of Arcadia", which on the surface is apt. However, Wonderfalls is so much more fun and charming. Watching underachiever Jaye go from thinking she's completely lost her marbles to begrudgingly doing what the talking muses tell her to do is nearly always hilarious. Not just because of the absurdity of her tasks, but also due to the show's characters' wit and snark.

While the show is actually pretty grounded (aside from the bossy animal figures) and deals a lot with the characters' relationships, it has at often times reminded me of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Not surprising since one of the show's creators, Bryan Fuller, loves the movie. While Wonderfalls isn't nearly as influenced by the movie as Fuller's other show, Pushing Daisies (also excellent), there's something at the heart of it that captures some of Amlie's magic.

Even 10 years after this show first graced screens, I still don't get tired of watching it again. The great dialog and humor is a huge factor in the show's re-watch-ability. And while this show was short-lived, the creators did a good job of offering the viewers a bit of closure after only 13 episodes - a feat few cancelled programs manage to do.

The show was beloved by its fans, who campaigned very hard to get it released on DVD through . Even after it was announced that Wonderfalls would find new life on DVD shelves, the fans worked hard to promote the release and created a site made specifically to introduce potential new viewers to the show.

Wonderfalls is something special. Just give it a chance an it'll capture you with its charm.moreless

Super Quirky and Super Lovable

By sarah1992, Feb 20, 2013

I really liked the shows humour and plot lines. It's a quirky one though so you have to be open to that to enjoy it. The main character's personality sends me up the wall and her relationships with her family and friends can be both sad and hilarious but in the best way.

The best one season TV show ever.

By eaudra, May 14, 2010

Only one season of 'Wonderfalls' has been created, but even that was enough to make me fall in love with the show on the one hand, and cry out loud on the other hand due to the fact that one could enjoy the show for so short a time. It is indeed a pity, that 'Wonderfalls' was under-appreciated, and thus was canceled after its first and only season, as 'Wonderfalls' was interesting, captivating and really fresh show.

The show concentrates on young and bright heroine Jaye Tyler, played by a really goon Canadian actress Caroline Dhavernas, who is a total underachiever, working in a dead-end job, and with no real intentions on moving on in any way. She understands her dead end position, but she is not really willing to do anything to change that. And that would be that, if not for a fact that one day animal toys start talking to her telling to do different stuff as if the universe itself wants her to move on with her life. And here starts the adventures and all the funny situations :)

Delightful :Dmoreless

"...by far the best self-contained single season of television ever created."

By gotahaloroundme, Apr 21, 2010

Wonderfalls, how we hardly knew ye. A mid-season replacement in early 2004 that went unnoticed, and has sadly faded into obscurity. Getting the full-on Fox treatment, only two episodes ever aired, and these episodes were shown a few more times on different nights and times. The biggest crime is that Wonderfalls was the best series of the year, and is by far the best self-contained single season of television ever created. Other than the facts on record, there's really nothing else that can be said other than to find a way to watch it, and mourn with the rest of us. As can be said about many shows that end prematurely, at least what we have is perfect, and we can be glad that the network never got a chance to stagnate the writers. Wonderfalls is true bliss.moreless

One of the most underappreciated shows ever.

By Svanehjerte, Sep 16, 2008

I can't believe it got canceled! It was original, quirky, funny and cosy. I liked the mood in the series. It was one of those shows that had a good message (helping people), but managed to remain funny and not get too sentimental like for instance, 7th Heaven.

It's not often I like the female characters on TV, because I feel they waste most of the creative writing on men. This was one of the few exceptions for me. Jaye had more personality than what we usually see in women on TV. That was one of the main reasons I liked this show so much, I liked the characters. I have to like the characters on TV in order to feel for them, if I don't like them I just want them to die horribly.

Luckily it had a proper ending at least.moreless

A quirky story about a girl and a boy and inanimate object talking...

By spacey_uk, Sep 10, 2008

AH Wonderfalls. Another great show which was canned far too early. Set in Niagra Falls, Wonderfalls was the story of Jane Tyler who had a dead end job and lived in caravan. Her life was just passing her by until one day a squashed wax lion figurine started to speak to her and drive her mostly insane to carry out actions which ended up making someone's life better. She falls in love with a bar man who left his wife on his honeymoon because she was cheating on him, in their honeymoon bed, with the waiter. The show should have gone on for longer than 13 episodes, the story was sweet but not sickly and it was always fun watching Jane try and decypher the cryptic clues the objects would tell her to do. The love story was sweet and heartbreaking too. This was another Bryan Fuller classic which went far too early. Let's hope Pushing Daisies doesn't go the same way.moreless

Excellent, underappreciated show

By udmatcher, May 05, 2008

I didn't expect much out of Wonderfalls. Actually, I haven't even heard of it. It was recommended to me by an online acquaintance. After watching Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, I was looking for another good serial to watch. So, I decided to give Wonderfalls a try.

The premise was interesting, but I was skeptical. The first episode got me hooked, but the second was less than overwhelming. However, each episode just got better and better from there on, until I watched the entire season in just 2 days. It's very corny humour and a show that can't be taken seriously, yet you do take it almost too seriously sometimes. It's like a rollercoaster that takes you on a crazy, insane ride that's unpredictable.

Definitely worth your time and money (if you plan to buy the DVD, which I intend to buy despite the fact that I've already watched the entire season)moreless

Jaye Tyler is a bright, beautiful underachiever who works in a dead-end job in Niagara Falls. That is, until inanimate animal characters of all types suddenly become animated, and started giving her cryptic messages that drive the action of each episode.

By larrylunts, Mar 03, 2008

It's a crime that this quirky, very original one-hour sitcom was cancelled. The lead character, Caroline Dhavernas, played Jaye Tyler, a bright, beautiful underachiever who worked in a dead-end job in a Niagara Falls gift shop. She was responsibility and committment-phobic. That is, until inanimate animal characters of all types–stuffed ones, sculpted ones, cartoons, road signs, whatever–suddenly became animated, and started giving her cryptic messages that drove the action of each episode. She always followed the advice, and usually it worked out for the best, when she succeeded in figuring out what it really meant. Only Jaye and the TV viewers could see the animated characters, so we were never really sure whether this was really happening, or a symptom of Jaye's mental Illness. Please bring Wonderfalls back!moreless

Can't believe it got canceled.

By EvilGirlie, Feb 03, 2008

I was so sad when this show got canceled! I watched every episode and eventually bought the box-set. It was so interesting and intelligent. Not to mention I loved the show's pairings. Jaye and Eric (for a little while..) Aaron and Mahondra, so perfect!

I'm not totally sure why it didn't have a bigger following, because I was certainly addicted. Jaye's dead-pan deliveries of her lines were hilarious, and her parents were so funny. Just too bad it had to end. If they brought it back now, I'd TOTALLY watch it. I'm desperate to know what happens with Jaye & Eric. :(moreless

Brilliant!. So familiar

By koolkid55555, Jan 04, 2008

This show is brilliant! Very witty and kept me at edge and i cant forget HILARIOUS! most shows of it's time were so boring and i think the cancellation was a dumb decision on Fox's part! Jay is of course my favorite character and should be a role model for all young american girls...Jay Tyler doesn't seem to care what anyone thinks of her which is a trait that we should all have. to bad there wasn't a second season. I'm sure that there are a lot more fans of Wonderfalls than you think. like i said before, it's such a shame it had to end early...moreless

Load More Reviews