Would I Lie to You?

Show Reviews (3)

Great

Finally, a show that conquers comedy and that's the truth!

By tstaewsieh, Jun 13, 2011

It looks like the BBC have cracked the code to pure comedy gold, and it comes in the form of the spectacular: Would I lie to you?

A simple idea transformed into one of telly's greats. No longer will you have to endlessly tear your way through the TV guide in search of a programme that can please such a wide number and range of people.

Hosted by Angus Deayton, WILTY? combines good humour and wit (mainly supplied by David Mitchell and Lee Mack) with clueless celebrities being placed in the hot seat and revealing some of their funniest and sometimes unbelievable secrets.

Yet, one question still remains- Is it the truth or just a big fat lie? Something that the opposing team must answer.

However, the big attraction very rarely is the celebrities and other fellow comedians but the extremely talented David Mitchell and Lee Mack guiding them through with their snappy and crowd pleasing remarks.

An unlikely combination but even Mitchell's famous Hitler haircut, posh background and humorous opinions along with Mack's 'your average bloke' personality and ever entertaining slick humour cannot stop these men from being the best things to happen to British quizcoms.

Five stars? 10/10? These are mere understatements to what will await you if you ditch the dramas and go straight over to good old fashioned British comedy at it's best!moreless

Lives and dies by the cast and research...

By Qmoq, Sep 01, 2008

At times, this is one of the most remarkable and laugh-out-loud comedies on TV. The sparring between David Mitchell and Lee Mack follows in the great tradition of class-war comedy, and Mitchell's jumps of logic when exposing flaws in others' arguments is inspired. The Radio Times said that he has now overtaken Paul Merton as the best panelist on TV, and I would not disagree.

Angus Deayton is a fine host too; less prominent than he was in Have I Got News For You. I hope he's given more of an ad-lib role in future, rather than just an autocue reader. The show might be limited by its nature, though. Even by the end of Series 2, some of the truths/lies told by the captains were obviously false. How could Lee Mack have worked for 6 months on the Empire State Building with no-one noticing? This limits the truth/false game to the four guests... and if they have no personality, then the game can fall flat. Fortunately, this hasn't happened much so far, but we have to fear for the future of this show.moreless

After a shakey first episode, this show really finds its footing!

By count-chocula, Jun 14, 2008

I'll be honest with you. The only reason I decided to watch this show was because Angus Deayton was hosting: this would be the "king of the panel show"'s first panel quiz since he was fired from Have I Got News For You. I imagine a lot of viewers tuned in under the same premise.

The first episode of this series was very shaky: the guests were a bit predictable and David & Lee didn't really seem to know what they were doing. However, come episode 2 the show becomes hilarious! Each week the viewer is treated to seeing guests either lying through their teeth or telling some home truths.

David Mitchell's banter is hilarious, he really is the number one star of the show. Similar to Paul Merton, he can pick up an ordinary every day event and twist into something incomprehensibly hilarious! Look out for some great monologues!

Angus Deayton is of course brilliant in this genre: even though he is reading from an autocue (could we really expect anything less?), his dry patter makes it seem believable.

Lee Mack is not as good as the other team captains, but don't get me wrong he is still very funny. Look out for a moment in episode 6 when he calls Tara Palmer Tomlinson a "spoilt b***h"!

Unfortunately the show was broadcast on a Saturday night and not a Friday night. Because of this it screams of "Saturday night trash TV": the opening sequence is clearly intended the "wider audience" and Deayton always makes a cringeworthy entrance. However, this little indescripency usually only lasts for a minute or so at the start of the show, then the real humour begins!

Like any panel show, the guests are an integral part. Therefore, if they are "a bit rubbish" then the episode seems "a bit rubbish". To be honest, the only "below average" episodes are episode 1 and episode 6.

It's great to have another quality panel show to watch and I can't wait for the BBC to start airing season 2.moreless