User Score: 81
Independence Day tells the epic story of an alien invasion and a collection of humans that work to liberate the Earth. On July 2, the world is invaded by an alien race. Though the citizens of Earth try to reach out to the aliens and make peace, the invaders ignore all the attempts and open up an all-out war. The humans, unable to punch through the aliens' force fields, are routed for the first two days and forced to take to hiding. With the dawn of July 4, the humans employ new methods of counterattacking, culminating in an epic struggle to save Earth as they know it.
Captain Steven Hiller
President Thomas J. Whitmore
First Lady Marilyn Whitmore
Production Budget - $75,000,000
Domestic Gross - $306,169,268 (1st)
Worldwide Gross - $817,400,891 (1st)
Domestic Adjusted for 2013 - $565,235,572
Worldwide Adjusted fro 2013 - $1,509,047,799
Academy Awards Wins:
1. Visual Effects
Academy Awards Nominations:
2. Visual Effects
1. Instrumental Composition
1. On July 2, 1996, the aliens came. On July 3, 1996, the aliens saw and struck. On Independence Day 1996, the human race will CONQUER!
2. On July 2nd, they arrive. On July 3rd, they strike. On July 4th, we fight back.
3. They only want one thing... DESTRUCTION!
4. We've always believed we weren't alone. On July 4th, we'll wish we were.
5. THESE extraterrestrials don't want to phone home...They want OUR home.
6. The day we'll fight back!
7. EARTH Take a good look. It could be your last.
8. The question of whether or not we are alone in the universe has been answered.
9. WARNING! Your next stop may not be there.
Filming locations include:
Santa Clarita, California
Los Angeles, California,
Downtown, Los Angeles, California
Blue Ridge, Georgia
Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah
Tribeca, Manhattan, New York City, New York
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Grants Pass, Oregon
Soho, Manhattan, New York City, New York
Manhattan, New York City, New York
Michigan City, Indiana
Mount Kilimanjaro, Kenya
New York City, New York
Skull Valley, Utah
Stockholm, Stockholms län, Sweden
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
The Great Pyramids, Giza Plateau, Giza, Egypt
Socorro, New Mexico
Washington, District of Columbia
West New York, New Jersey
White Sands, New Mexico
It's the End of the World As We Know It
Written by William Berry, Peter Buck, Michael Mills
& Michael Stipe
Written by Bill Elliott
Performed by Bill Elliott
Written by Paul Plaggens, Josh Gordon & Kyle Baer
Performed by Greta
Written by Link Wray and Milton Grant
Performed by Link Wray
Boom Boom Booty
Written by Richard Rudolph, Michael Sembello, Romany Malco
Performed by U.P.F. Featuring ROM
Written by Sophie Edkvist & Lars Halapi
Performed by Sophie Zelmani
Live It Cool
Written by Junior Vasquez & Lydia Rhodes
Performed by Lydia Rhodes
Everybody Wants to Rule the World
By Tears for Fears