Spookley The Square Pumpkin

Released 2004

Spookley The Square Pumpkin Fan Reviews (1)

• Meh, I've seen better Halloween specials :/

Spookley the Square Pumpkin was an animated Halloween special that aired on Cartoon Network a while back. I sat down to watch it and it's exactly what you'd think it is judging from the title: an unoriginal, unfunny, and uninteresting waste of time. The story is basically Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer set in a pumpkin patch; Spookley is a square pumpkin who is made fun of because he's not round and while he competes in the pumpkin games, he ultimately loses and yet he's chosen by the farmer to be the jack-o'lantern of Halloween because potatoes. The animation is just bland and uninspired; the character designs look really lifeless and stiff and the backgrounds are poorly rendered (not to mention that the pumpkins look more like basketballs than pumpkins). The characters are as bland as the animation; Spookley is the Rudolph of the story, Edger, Allen, and Poe (clever reference) are the comedy relief, the Scarecrow is the voice of reason, the bats have no purpose in the plot and the other pumpkins are just there to serve as bullies until the end. The last thing I want to bring up are the songs; they are just baaaaaaaaaaaaaad. The songs incorporated in this special feel more like badly written royalty free pop songs and are completely unnecessary to the story. What's worse about this is that, like The Day My Butt Went Psycho, this was based on a dumb children's book, but unlike the that horrendous shittoon, Spookley is at least likeable, despite being a character we've seen before. At the end of the day, I root for Spookley and I want him to succeed. However, that's not enough to give this movie a strong recommendation; you're better off watching The Nightmare Before Christmas or Hotel Transylvania instead of this uninspired, unoriginal and unappealing Halloween special.

More Info About This Movie