Forums: News/Documentary: Do you actually belive in man-made global warming?

Do you belive greenhouse gases are the cause of rising temperatures?

neon2farmer

[1]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 11
    I believe that it is just a natural oscillation and the temperatures goes up and down. in about ten or so years,the temperatures will go down again. I'm not too concerned.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nmantzios

[2]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 17
    I believe that man did cause some of it.

Angus_Mac

[3]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 71
    If the fires in Southern California are considered man-made, then yes.

EJamison

[4]Nov 8, 2007
    Angus_Mac wrote:
    If the fires in Southern California are considered man-made, then yes.
    I don't know how to interpret that. One of the fires was kid-made. Forest fires are a natural part of the world. Some pine cones won't release seeds until a fire. Humans aren't supposed to build houses in these area.

EJamison

[5]Nov 8, 2007
    There are defintely natural cycles, but I think man is causing a signficant part of global warming. It is possible that the warming will cause other problems, like a huge volcanic eruption that will blot out the sun and cause global cooling. In other words, sun patterns are not the only part of the natural cycle. The Earth has other mechanisms for reversing the trend, but they are to keep the planet in balance, not for the benefit of humans. We may wind up suffering a global cooling that is worse than the global warming. I don't know if the evidence will ever be totally clear on how much is due to humans and how much is natural. But I think we should do what he can to avoid contributing to the problem. But, the way things usually work, whatever we try will probably backfire with some unintended consequences. We just aren't smart enough to get everything right even if we try. But the universe will survive even if we don't.

ImKagetsu

[6]Nov 9, 2007
    • level: 12
    Does the earth's over all temperature fluctuate natuarally? Yes. Can we be contributing it? Yes. Are we the cause? No. Can world tax policy and attempting to "go green" change the overall out come? No. Listen for the words "over population" in their talk, and then wonder where they want the two thirds of the population to "disappear" from. The US is the economy that they are all looking at, and the only one they want to secure money and restriction from.
    Edited on 11/09/2007 1:02pm

ihatefamilyguy

[7]Nov 10, 2007
    no

neon2farmer

[8]Nov 10, 2007

There is polution, and right now the temperature is higher( although, where I live in Canada, I belives it's going back to normal, especially now that it's winter) I belive that these organizations and governments are pulling a "bait and switch" manuver. There is more pollution in the air, and they tell us that is the reason for global warming. Then they say 250 million years ago species went extint because of global warming! Well, what? did too many dinosaurs drive Hummers? I think not. I also think That the world is too gullible , if anyone of authority says something, people will belive it, no matter how many people without authority tell people the truth.

There, that feels better.

Debating_Diva

[10]Nov 11, 2007
    • level: 6
    neon2farmer wrote:
    Then they say 250 million years ago species went extint because of global warming!

no matter how many people without authority tell people the truth.

Who said this?

Species went extinct because of a meteor which crashed and caused a cloud over the earth that stopped sunlight coming through killing most life.
    The IPCC, that is an International Commitee of Scientists say that it is happening. Those that aren't do not represent mainstream scientific view and their view is about as relevant as the view of those scientists who believe in the creation of the earth and all life upon it in 6 days.

RaijinPaladinix

[12]Nov 11, 2007
    • level: 52
    Some of is natural, but humans are definitely not helping. There are still a lot of coal/fossil-fuel burning factories/cars still out there.
    Edited on 11/11/2007 5:25pm

neon2farmer

[14]Nov 14, 2007

Debating_Diva, this is for you.

Of course this, International Committee of Scientists are the same scientists that said in the 1970s that because of greenhouse gases a new ice-age may be triggered and I quote" For example, some scientists believe that the release of large quantities of gases and particulates into the atmosphere from the burning of fuel and from industrial processes is at least partly responsible for a slight lowering of mean temperatures throughout the world. If the trend continues, another ice age may be triggered."(pg.1478, "Columbia New Illustrated Encyclopedia".1978 ) I'm sure you 've heard tell of Michael Crichton, he's an author of such books as"Jurassic Park" and "The Andromeda Strain", but he is also a scientist. He does not agree with Al Gore.Also, a good fact to know is that 95% of meteorologists, do not believe in Anthropogenic Global Warming. Oh, and as a matter of fact, the earth was created in seven days by God, and there is also more proof of Creation than Evolution, but that would mean that man is in fact not the highest being out there.and, we couldn't say that could we Debating_Diva?

Edited on 11/14/2007 4:29pm

Debating_Diva

[15]Nov 14, 2007
    neon2farmer wrote:
    Debating_Diva, this is for you.
    Of course this, International Committee of Scientists are the same scientists that said in the 1970s that because of greenhouse gases a new ice-age may be triggered and I quote" For example, some scientists believe that the release of large quantities of gases and particulates into the atmosphere from the burning of fuel and from industrial processes is at least partly responsible for a slight lowering of mean temperatures throughout the world. If the trend continues, another ice age may be triggered." (pg.1478, "Columbia New Illustrated Encyclopedia".1978 ) I'm sure you've heard tell of Michael Crichton, he's an author of such books as"Jurassic Park" and "The Andromeda Strain", but he is also a scientist. He does not agree with Al Gore.Also, a good fact to know is that 95% of meteorologists, do not believe in Anthropogenic Global Warming. Oh, and as a matter of fact, the earth was created in seven days by God, and there is also more proof of Creation than Evolution, but that would mean that man is in fact not the highest being out there.and, we couldn't say that could we Debating_Diva?

You couldn't be any more wrong if you tried.
    The IPCC didn't exist in the 70's so they sure as heck didn't predict an Ice Age.
    Notice in the quote you provided the word "some", and that is what it was only some scientists believed that an Ice Age was imminent, and yes there was a "slight lowering" in temperatures but as a whole since the industrialisation of mankind temperatures have rose in line with the increase in greenhouse gases.
    Crichton is a qualified doctor, and not as far as I am aware a scientist. He is irrelevant anyway, so a famous person is a climate sceptic big deal

95%? That is quite a large number, can you back this up or is it just off the top of your head?
    The AMS has said humans are causing Climate Change, so I think you are talking crap.

O so you are a creationist then, big surprise. There is no evidence for Creationism bar the bible, Evolution has all the evidence Geology has ever found, evolution also has the backing of the scientific majority, the same as with Climate Change.

When did I say man was the highest being out there? Don't make presumptions you can't back up.

LSyd

[16]Nov 14, 2007
    Just for Neon2Farmer's information, there were emissions back in the 1970s which were contributing to a "global cooling" effect as well as those which contributed to "global warming" - at the time, the net result was cooling, since the pollution cooled more than it warmed. The problem is, the 'cooling' emissions caused immediate damage to the environment and people's health and people thought to get rid of them. Specifically, particulate matter caused lung problems, and sulfur dioxide caused acid rain.

Since these problems were undeniably due to these emissions, an effort was made to reduce the amount we were causing. As a result, we inadvertantly 'stopped' global cooling. But we didn't stop producing gases like carbon dioxide which do not cause such clear-cut problems with our environment, so we're still adding to the warming effect. Maybe we will accidentally fix that as well, but for now the science gives at least some idea about how greenhouse gases warm things up here, and I'd rather we didn't try taking our chances.

neon2farmer

[17]Nov 15, 2007

Debating_Diva,

If you think that I made up those numbers off the top of my head, just go to the U.S Senate Comitee on Environment and Public Works website,or are those scientists irrevalent too? And obviously the scientists that thought an ice age could be triggered in the 70s made up the majority, many of which are the same scientist now, that are saying greenhouse gases are warming up the planet. I never said there wasn't any warming, I just said it isn't totally caused by man, because there isn't a REALLY,really big thing in the solar system that is hot is there? Oh, wait. The sun.

there is something to chew on, oh, wait I forgot-chewing is irrevalent.

Debating_Diva

[18]Nov 15, 2007
    neon2farmer wrote:

Debating_Diva,

If you think that I made up those numbers off the top of my head, just go to the U.S Senate Comitee on Environment and Public Works website,or are those scientists irrevalent too? And obviously the scientists that thought an ice age could be triggered in the 70s made up the majority, many of which are the same scientist now, that are saying greenhouse gases are warming up the planet. I never said there wasn't any warming, I just said it isn't totally caused by man, because there isn't a REALLY,really big thing in the solar system that is hot is there? Oh, wait. The sun.

there is something to chew on, oh, wait I forgot-chewing is irrevalent.

I have just took a quick visit to the website and can find nothing about 95% of meteorologists disagreeing. Like I said can you back this up with actual evidence rather than a vague wave towards a website.

Like LSyd said: things like Sulphur emissions back then caused cooling because less Sunlight was allowed onto the earth. Once we passed Clean Air acts this sulphur disappeared and we started to see the effect of CO2.

O yes the Sun, how stupid of me
    You mean this sun? The sun who's effective power on the earth has decreased since 1975 whilst the world temperature has risen. Yeah that must be the reason for temperature change.

HelloStuart

[19]Nov 16, 2007
    • level: 63
    I believe global warming exists and is definitely man-made, but I don't think it's as much of a problem as some naysayers would suggest. Every little thing helps.

RaijinPaladinix

[20]Nov 17, 2007
    • level: 52

Things are better than they were 20 years ago. By 1988 there was a ozone hole over a melting Antarctica that was the size of half the U.S., if not more. More factories lessing chlorofluorocarbons in consumer products is helping, as well as experiments with non-petroleum fuel.

But I still think there are some aspects of global warming that aren't man-made. Some of it is natural, like the dinosaurs kicking the bucket and the IceAge coming around.