Forums: News/Documentary: Do you actually belive in man-made global warming?

Do you belive greenhouse gases are the cause of rising temperatures?

xarkitu

[41]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 18
    Do you actually belive in man-made global warming?
    95% it's our fault, yes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Llama_guy

[42]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 53

There are natural swings in the CO2 amounts in the atmosphere (and thus the global warming as well), which goes over thousands of years. However, man has interrupted with this natural balance, and has caused it to go way off. This picture shuld prove it.

I've been doing a lot of school projects, presentations and essays on global warming, and believe me, most sources I've been to proves this.

Edited on 01/21/2008 11:24am

1337Bloodbender

[43]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 24
    Llama_guy wrote:

There are natural swings in the CO2 amounts in the atmosphere (and thus the global warming as well), which goes over thousands of years. However, man has interrupted with this natural balance, and has caused it to go way off. This picture shuld prove it.

I've been doing a lot of school projects, presentations and essays on global warming, and believe me, most sources I've been to proves this.

Is it possible then that the Earth will retaliate the imbalance by causing a much larger drop in global temperature, if the cycle does continue?

MajLorne

[44]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 21
    I still say the majority is due to the sun and not humanity's over reliance on fossil fuel. This whole thing is nothing more than hype to scare people to 'go green'. Gore and the blind followers must be reaping in the $ for all this.
    However, fossil fuel being a finite resource - more should be done to switch to an alternative or hybrids so at least the US can still keep running when all the oil dries up. Also wasting energy should be curbed. But I still do not agree humans are the ONLY reason for global warming. Besides if US is to blame then why not China or India where they are becoming more industrialized and using up more natural resources, thus adding to the 'global warming'?

LSyd

[45]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 17

MajLorne wrote:
    Besides if US is to blame then why not China or India where they are becoming more industrialized and using up more natural resources, thus adding to the 'global warming'?
    China and India are also to blame.

The problem is that, per person, people in richer countries are using more resources and causing more warming. To suggest that China and India should make the same cuts as the US (which is what Bush appears to want) would be like saying that every American (including babies and underweight people) must lose, say, 20 pounds to help stem the obesity problem.

Edited on 03/01/2008 4:32am

EJamison

[46]Mar 1, 2008
    LSyd wrote:

MajLorne wrote:
    Besides if US is to blame then why not China or India where they are becoming more industrialized and using up more natural resources, thus adding to the 'global warming'?
    China and India are also to blame.

The problem is that, per person, people in richer countries are using more resources and causing more warming. To suggest that China and India should make the same cuts as the US (which is what Bush appears to want) would be like saying that every American (including babies and underweight people) must lose, say, 20 pounds to help stem the obesity problem.

On the surface, your analogy makes perfect sense. But, unfortunately, China and India are a little bit late to the game, and while it's understandable that they want to catch up, I'm not sure the environment can tolerate the direction they are heading. But I don't think the West is going to be able to stop them and I don't think we're going to reduce our side significantly enough unless some miracle technology is discovered. There are 2 tipping points. There is the one that scientists talk about, but the other one is about the stuff that is pushing us towards the former one, and I think we are already past it. In other words, it seems that it's already too late for us to really do anything. But I think the planet is going to take care of itself without regards to us.

p9zzles

[47]Mar 27, 2008
    • level: 1
    its some we can not avoider or prevent for happening , did man kind make global warming is a answer that will never be solved. Its and thats that matter, for example did the disours couse the huge to wipe them all out. The world is circle what ever may die will adventively be replace .

raygoshay

[48]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 15

Days are longer than billions of years ago. There have been multiple periods of massive global extinctions. The Earth's landmasses have been shifting since the planet formed - the number and condition of the continents has changed, from more that present tally to perhaps only one at some time (Pangea theory). Dinosaurs once lived in Antarctica, which had a much - much warmer climate... These are a few of the many variations of conditions on this planet which changed regardless of lifeforms.

The introduction of terrestrial plants altered the atmosphere to a degree that the air today is totally alien to its composition for most of Earth's existence. Consider something as unmentioned as the impact of the volume of daily bodily wastes during the age of the Dinosaur. Think of the ramifications on territory where elephants migrate - with their diet of between 200 and 500 pounds a day - for each adult. Coral reefs are created by uncountable creatures congregating in a section of the sea floor. Earthworms have been constantly modifying soil around the world. These are a small sample of living things which highly impact the world around them.

Does mankind alter Earth's conditions? Without a doubt. For the worse? In many ways yes. Still, not to the extent some people claim. There are so many factors, the entire picture is uncertain. We should attempt to lessen our negative impact in obvious areas - such as major uncontrolled deforestation, the faulty disposal of noxious chemicals and the compromising of our water and air by harmful pollutants.

Three items are definitely wrong in the debate over Global Warming:

1) The contention that man has little impact on the environment.

2) The term Global Warming is extremely ill-advised, at best. People concerned about ecology should never have foolishly tied their arguments to something as shiftable as temperature. North America has been less impacted by warmth noted elsewhere. Should the world's climate cool for any length of time, individuals who felt pressured into concern will become entrenched in the notion that environmentalists are either "snake-oil salesmen" or "Chicken Littles".

3) The inane claims of mankind's impact by a highly vocal, yet thankfully small number of seeming "fanatics". There are some that insist we're responsible not just for the weather - but earthquakes as well! As a final note - the Earth is NOT in danger. We could unleash every nuclear device and chemical weapon and Earth would go on. Would conditions be suitable for us? Probably not. Yet this is where our sensibilities should lie, in the health and well-being of humans. If we earnestly try to keep our world a proper place in which we can live, it will follow that the rest of Earth's lifeforms will benefit.

Edited on 08/13/2008 11:02pm
    Edited 2 total times.

sadist_activst

[49]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 14
    The way I see it in 25 years people will be kicking themselves ether for falling for globe warming or for not doing eoungh to stop it.

osdawaya16

[50]Sep 9, 2008
    • level: 28
    While I believe some of this has to be 'the fault of man,' I also believe that it's just natural. There are ice ages. Then the climate warms up. It just happens like that. The only reason we're all concerned now is because we've learned enough about the atmosphere to realize what's happening. I'm sure the cavemen didn't care.

scotchex2

[51]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 10

Yeah, Global Warming is not man-made. The Earth does not have a thermostat that we can set. These are natural cycles that humanity will just have to adapt to.

Environmentalism is basically a new age religion and not a serious scientifically grounded set of ideas. It also is, at it's core, quite anti-human. Environmentalists are responsible for a great deal of damage to human welfare. Blocking affordable energy, blocking nuclear power, banning DDT (the ban directly cause millions of deaths due to malaria in Africa). A lot of human suffering has been cause by environmentalists -- who tend to be rich westerners telling the poor masses of the earth not to use energy.

Environmentalism lapsed into religious extremism a long time ago. Al Gore lives in a mansion and tells us all to turn off the lights and heat. People like Gore fly around the world in private jets and scold the rest of us proles for driving to work.

Joshuag92

[52]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 1
    Nature contributes much more carbon emissions than people ever have. Al Gore is nuts if you ask me.

LSyd

[53]Mar 1, 2009

Joshuag92 wrote:
    Nature contributes much more carbon emissions than people ever have.

And nature also removes more greenhouse gases from the atmosphere than people ever have. The difference is that we can tell people to cut their emissions, but even King Canute would be able to tell you how much of a difference you'd make by telling nature to do so.

I could just imagine China signing up to the Kyoto Protocol (or whatever they're going to replace it with) and then the US government refusing to cut the country's emissions until nature signs up as well.

Edited on 03/01/2009 3:32am

ddwells

[54]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 3
    with out meaning to sound to rude some of you are iver retarded or just complete idiots of cause global warming is man made you have been pumping poison into the ocean and the atmosphere and burying it under ground creating to much co2 (thats carbon dioxide for you morons)and raping the earth of her only defence the (rain forest) which is ironic since the rain forest produces most of are o2(oxygen) and for all those who think it is natural you are partially right it is natural when it happens over a period of a million or so years we are making it happen in just a few centuries

Falcondude123

[55]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 10
    My view on this:
    The world is 71% covered with oceans. Only 29% is habitable land. Of the actual land surface, maybe less than 20% is inhabited/developed by humans. Of that percentage, maybe 30-40% (if that) is probably things that make air pollution(chimneys, exhaust pipes, factories, etc.)
    That pollution often coalesces in the area it came from, which is why you get smog in large cities.
    However, the atmosphere is VERY thick- about 70% of it is within thirty miles of the ground. (after that it dissipates slowly for hundreds of miles upward).
    When you contemplate the sheer volume of air we are talking about, the massive space it takes up, especially over the vast, uninhabited oceans around our planet, it makes even our largest cities look like little pinpricks on the map, spread out pretty thinly, really.

I don't believe that a global temperature increase could be caused by mankind, excepting a Nuclear holocaust. That is the only way I can see it happening.

Now that doesn't mean we can just throw our trash in the middle of the forrest when we go hiking; we want beautiful things to stay beautiful. But we shouldn't try to undo EVERY thing we have EVER built, just because we forget how huge of a planet we live on, and how powerful of a sun it orbits. We really don't have much control over either of those two things, and it is actually a little bit arrogant on our part to think that we might.

MajLorne

[56]May 9, 2009
    • level: 21
    Ok, I don't have any science background, but does Venus's retrograde rotation have something to do with its 'atmosphere'?

LSyd

[57]May 12, 2009

MajLorne wrote:
    Ok, I don't have any science background, but does Venus's retrograde rotation have something to do with its 'atmosphere'?

In one word: no.

Falcondude123 wrote:
    However, the atmosphere is VERY thick- about 70% of it is within thirty miles of the ground. (after that it dissipates slowly for hundreds of miles upward). When you contemplate the sheer volume of air we are talking about, the massive space it takes up, especially over the vast, uninhabited oceans around our planet, it makes even our largest cities look like little pinpricks on the map, spread out pretty thinly, really.

And that's one of the more flawed arguments in this debate. Unless there is a viable way of taking the stuff out of the atmosphere (and we're not doing much to encourage the removal of carbon dioxide), it's just going to accumulate, and talking about how "big" the Earth's atmosphere doesn't change that.

There were certain times in the planet's history where the atmosphere had significantly larger amounts of carbon dioxide than we have now. It didn't just vanish into nothingness since then, it was taken out and stored in the things which we are now digging up, chopping down and burning, and people seem very reluctant to stop doing this. So much so that it looks pretty likely that a very large proportion of it will have gone back into the atmosphere before we make a concerted effort to stop doing it once and for all.

If you accept that carbon dioxide does contribute to the greenhouse effect, then presumably you also accept that once we burn all of the fossil fuels and trees where the carbon which was taken out of the atmosphere a long time ago was stored, we're going to have a climate which is just like it was before the fuels were deposited and the forests became as widespread, and that is not like things are today.

The only legitimate doubt, as far as I am aware, is that carbon dioxide might not be a significant contributor to this effect, but there are reasons why it is sensible to believe that it does, even at lower concentrations because of, as you have said, the vastness of the atmosphere.

Edited on 05/12/2009 9:56am

archangelwho

[58]Oct 11, 2009
    Now the reports are we need more CO2 or we will have a "Brown Earth". The facts follow where ever the government put the $$$ not the other way.

archangelwho

[59]Jan 18, 2010
    We now know that it was all the biggest con job ever played on the world. The reason was 2 fold 1. To make Algore and his friends rich 1,000 times over. 2. To allow the UN and other Left Wing (Left Wing want to be) governments from taking more of the people's freedoms, rights and money and to gain more overall control over the people's lives. The new question should be "What else has the Left lied to us about?"

keaton1anng

[60]Jan 19, 2010
    Are you crazy if you think it is not man made the earth does not heat up this much and it will not start to cool down any time soon enlese we start to stop burning coal and driving all of the cars (that will never happen) but Global warming is all the way man made it has never been like this and ten years ago it was normal it just will keep getting warmer man and if you don't think it is true then i hope you are in the hottest place in the world so you will see for yourself that it will not cool down anytime soon....