Forums: News/Documentary: Favorite documentary series

MajLorne

[1]Mar 25, 2008
    • level: 21

My list:

Building the Ultimate - Extreme Machines [Discovery-Science ch]

Megastructures [N Geo]*

Modern Marvels [history]

Voyages [History international] had a bunch of train centered episodes and I just love them all.

lol Anything about Disney world [Travel ch]

* Am I the only one here that likes that series? Because here it is rated like 6.5 or something. I can understand a few shows like the science of bricks would suck, but how can anyone not like Sears Tower or such episodes?

Edited on 03/25/2008 11:19pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EJamison

[2]Mar 26, 2008
    • level: 17
    As far as I know the National Geographic channel is not available from my cable provider and if it is it's in a higher-priced digital package which I won't pay for. But even if the channel was in my lineup, it probably wouldn't be on my favorite channels list, so I'd never notice the program accidentally by flipping through the dial.

Generally, I'm too busy watching primetime on broadcast networks. I have a 1000 hour backlog of those shows.

The documentary series that I've watched the most over the years is "Nova". I don't watch too often but I just watched the "Ape Genius" edition.

MajLorne

[3]Mar 26, 2008
    Yeah to tell you the truth, once all those shows aired, then there's really nothing much to watch on Nat. Geo. [other than for me the Dog Whisperer at times]. If that series [i assume maybe] is on DVD, that would be better to get than to get that package. Megastructures is pretty much the main reason I tune into that channel.

MajLorne

[4]Apr 16, 2008
    Well anyone have their favorites?

CellBlocknutter

[5]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 14
    Horizon - OpenUniversity/BBC (they often team up with the American Documentary series Nova)

Spyrick

[6]Apr 30, 2008
    • level: 35
    Fight Science from Nat Geo. To be able to finally put numbers to the power of the various martial arts and hand-held weaponry... to finally be able to compare the various art forms...I think their findings should be used in rpg gaming.

Oh, and Megastructure is great too.
    Edited on 04/30/2008 12:51am

Richiebcfc25

[7]May 1, 2008
    • level: 47
    The World at war is my favourite doc series and is probably the best documentary about ww2 ever

Jonerd1990

[8]May 3, 2008
    • level: 6
    Modern Marvels, or Deadliest Catch (Do you classifly that as a Documentary though?).
    Edited on 05/03/2008 9:38pm

MajLorne

[9]May 5, 2008
    hem that's kinda hard, I think of it more as reality.

Sara_Marie_41

[10]May 15, 2008
    • level: 18

Some doc shows... will i do enjoy watching anything about disasters and how to prevent them.

Megadisasters is one of them.

Recently, I saw that show 1000 ways to die... i didn't know someone would let a deadly spider bite him, and we can have it under the section... "what were they thinking".

I also like to saw Most Extreme, Most Evil, and Mythbusters. I did mention I like to watch show dealing with animals.

I do like to watch Most Shocking and Most Daring... there's also Beach Patrol... what i like to call: The DO's and Don'ts of the beach.

brein1327

[11]Jun 9, 2008
    • level: 12

The History Channel's The Universe and Modern Marvels

Discovery Channel's Blue Planet

raygoshay

[12]Jun 17, 2008
    • level: 15

Modern TV has so many paradoxes. Documentaries are one of the most interesting. There is virtually no end to the amount of scientific and historical info available today on television. Many of the shows are great. BUT there's a sense of sameness after the 50th lion-kills-zebra segment, the inner workings of medieval siege weapons starts blurring into the inspiration for Teflon and just try to keep track of which killer with three names committed which assassination. That's the way things are today. No better or worse than past TV - just different.

When I was a kid - I remember the first UHF channels in our area. Before that there was simply 5 VHF channels - PBS and the three networks (we had two ABC stations). Back then you waited all year to see The Wizard of Oz. Man, what magic! Christmas specials and movies played once. Well documentaries were pretty much the same. My father, brother and I would walk to our neighbor's house because they had a color TV - you felt deeply cheated if you had to watch The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau in black and white. WWII footage was obviously fine on our B&W Zenith... but National Geographic - no way. We'd watch them without color only if we had to. We felt lucky to see two such specials in one month. And guess what, we'd remember every shark attack, hidden tribe and cheetah-antelope chase for a year.

For me the original National Geographic Specials and the first Jacques Cousteau shows (not the ones available on DVD right now) are tough to beat. Finally I think the "Walking with Dinosaurs (Monsters, etc)" series are my recent favorites.

Edited on 06/17/2008 12:39am
    Edited 2 total times.

usedtobefangle

[13]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 10
    All of Sir David Attenborough's Life of ... series, How it's made, The National Geographic channel, the Animal Planet channel - too many too name.

MajLorne

[14]Jul 3, 2008
    Thanks for the replies! And speaking of animals, I forgot to add the Growing up ___ show especially the one about the tigers and wolves.

As far as Nat Geo, it seems they are out of ideas I mean the Aftermath thing was a copy of what the History Channel did a few months ago and now Nat Geo is doing something similar to what Planet Earth [which i loved, but wished Attenborough narrated over Weaver] was on Discovery ch last year.

bigcitygirl5

[15]Jul 3, 2008
    • level: 31
    My favourite is Planet Earth!! It had the most amazing footage & I learnt so much from it.

telephophet

[16]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 2
    I'm totally with bigcirtygirl- Planet Earth is fantastic! Great to re-watch, too- especially if you've got an HD-capable TV- the show is mind blowing (especially the Shallow Seas episode).

sadist_activst

[17]Jul 19, 2008
    • level: 14
    Anything about ancient civilizations. Or at least anything that can keep a 16-year-old's attention.

Pikachu_2121

[18]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 20

Blue Planet

HD FTW!

sadat99

[19]Aug 25, 2008
    • level: 2
    BBC does excellent docs.. I really like their nature docs

osdawaya16

[20]Aug 30, 2008
    • level: 28
    Deadliest Catch. Other than that I don't really watch documentary series. But I'm like obsessed with that one..