Forums: News/Documentary: Help to find an old documentary about a aloholic needed

johnojones

[1]Apr 30, 2013
    • level: 1

Hi everyone,i am new to the site and hopefully i have posted in the right section.

I would like to know if anyone out there can help me with finding an old documentary that aired in the 80's or early 90's in the UK.

From memory i think it was on CH4. It followed a chap who was an alcoholic,quite well educated and eccentric to boot and a likeable character, but drink had become his only friend and he found himself down and out in London. He was homeless,but must have come from a good family because his sister gave him "one last chance" and got him a house/flat, and also an interview for a job that i think was to do with acting or similar.He was not too old ,probably in his 40's or 50's.I remember him riding in a cab smartened up and saying how he was going to sort himself out now that he had been offered an olive branch.He got some pay and went straight to the pub and then the offy and was drunk as a skunk .Kidding himself that he was ok,he went and got some chips and went home with the crew in tow.He woke up in a right state throwing cold chips about wandering where the *** they had come from. I also remember him cooking a joint of lamb on the stove thinking it was a real treat, but the drink had got him, lock stock and barrel.Unfortunately while filming he got on to the side roof to sit one night and slipped to meet his maker.Sad film,but shows the side of aloholism that my friend is suffering from and strangely he is going exactly the same way.Maybe if i can show him this film he might see life in a different way.Its my last throw of the dice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,John.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.